A 25-YEAR-OLD child sex offender who went ‘off the radar’ phoned police to complain when they made a press appeal for help in finding him.

Blackburn magistrates heard Byrom Cross remonstrated with an officer because they had provided a photograph which was published in the Lancashire Telegraph.


He told the officer he was going to hand himself in but then disappeared again and was not arrested for another four days.

Cross, formerly of Gordon Street, Darwen, pleaded guilty to failing to comply with conditions of the Sex Offender Register.

He was remanded in custody for the preparation of a pre-sentence report.

Catherine Allan, prosecuting, said Cross had been jailed for 32 months, put on the register and made subject to a Sexual Offences Prevention Order for an offence of sexual activity with a child.

She said he was classified as a ‘high risk’ sex offender and the police made regular checks to ensure he was complying with the orders he was subject to.

Police went to his address in Gordon Street on August 26 and it was obvious he wasn’t living there.

“Inquiries revealed he had moved out two or three days after the last police visit,” said Miss Allan.

“The police made a press appeal and on August 29 he contacted the police to remonstrate about them putting his picture in the paper.”

Three days later police received information that Cross was in Preston and he was arrested there after trying to run away.

He told police he had left Gordon Street because he was being threatened.

“There is no record of any complaint to the police or any suggestion he was at risk,” said Miss Allan.

Gareth Price, defending, said Cross had been released earlier this year and had co-operated with all requirements.

“He was concerned about his safety and it was against that background he left Darwen and moved to Preston,” said Mr Price.

“He says he did make the agencies aware of the threats towards him.

“There is no suggestion he has committed any further offences.”