Services for victims of domestic abuse hit by financial pressure

Services for victims of domestic abuse hit by financial pressure

Services for victims of domestic abuse hit by financial pressure

First published in News Lancashire Telegraph: Photograph of the Author by , Crime reporter

REFUGES for victims of domestic abuse are facing a crisis point due to funding cuts, campaigners and politicians have said.

It comes as specialist safe houses in the region are set to lose expert staff because of the financial pressure.

Julie Cooper, Burnley’s prospective Labour parliamentary candidate, who also sits on the board at the town’s refuge, said the facility was always full with women and their families.

She said: “We have got a massive demand. We are always full and there is never a vacancy.

“I know first hand how much they are struggling. Some of the funding they get is from Lancashire County Council and Burnley Council pays for two spec- ialist workers. Funding has been severely cut to Burnley and it is going to mean the loss of those staff.”

She said the scenario was similar across East Lancashire.

Rachel Horman, a director at Watson Ramsbottom Solicitors, which has offices in Blackburn, Darwen, Great Harwood and Accrington, said the services were reaching ‘breaking point’.The 41-year-old, from Burnley, said: “I am involved with a couple of refuges and their management and I am aware that over the last 12 months in particular there have been so many funding cuts.

“It is just unbelievable.

“The refuges are always full and they could fill them twice over. It is going to start affecting the quality of the services because a lot of posts are being cut.

“I can see some services shutting, it is getting that bad.

“But the cuts are not actually cost effective because if you offer a bad service, it will cost the local authority more in terms of policing, social services, more court costs, and accident and emergency cases.”

Helmshore solicitor Kate Allsop, who specialises in domestic abuse at Woodcocks Haworth and Nuttall Solicitors, which has offices across East Lancs, added: “It is becoming increasingly harder for women to access refuges. I am aware that support services have been struggling to locate refuge places for their clients as they come under more pressure.”

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:02pm Tue 5 Aug 14

sen c b l says...

Oh crikey, the indeginious have had it.
Your women are going to use you guys as tennis balls!
Oh crikey, the indeginious have had it. Your women are going to use you guys as tennis balls! sen c b l
  • Score: -9

9:31pm Tue 5 Aug 14

The Seagull has landed says...

sen c b l wrote:
Oh crikey, the indeginious have had it.
Your women are going to use you guys as tennis balls!
As opposed to "your" women who are going to be used and second class citizens and punch bags.
[quote][p][bold]sen c b l[/bold] wrote: Oh crikey, the indeginious have had it. Your women are going to use you guys as tennis balls![/p][/quote]As opposed to "your" women who are going to be used and second class citizens and punch bags. The Seagull has landed
  • Score: -5

8:38am Wed 6 Aug 14

greenscreener says...

A serious issue Immediately turned into an irrelevant argument fuelled by racism.

FFS, is there not one shred of decency in you ?
A serious issue Immediately turned into an irrelevant argument fuelled by racism. FFS, is there not one shred of decency in you ? greenscreener
  • Score: -2

10:50am Wed 6 Aug 14

sen c b l says...

The Seagull has landed wrote:
sen c b l wrote:
Oh crikey, the indeginious have had it.
Your women are going to use you guys as tennis balls!
As opposed to "your" women who are going to be used and second class citizens and punch bags.
What did you do to yours, kick her out and turned into a male admirer. Couldn't talk and come to a peaceful agreement but just turned to hate!
U 4 kr5 can't live with anyone.
[quote][p][bold]The Seagull has landed[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sen c b l[/bold] wrote: Oh crikey, the indeginious have had it. Your women are going to use you guys as tennis balls![/p][/quote]As opposed to "your" women who are going to be used and second class citizens and punch bags.[/p][/quote]What did you do to yours, kick her out and turned into a male admirer. Couldn't talk and come to a peaceful agreement but just turned to hate! U 4 kr5 can't live with anyone. sen c b l
  • Score: -7

11:01am Wed 6 Aug 14

The Seagull has landed says...

greenscreener wrote:
A serious issue Immediately turned into an irrelevant argument fuelled by racism.

FFS, is there not one shred of decency in you ?
Please identify which part of my post is racist. I'm extremely interested to know.
[quote][p][bold]greenscreener[/bold] wrote: A serious issue Immediately turned into an irrelevant argument fuelled by racism. FFS, is there not one shred of decency in you ?[/p][/quote]Please identify which part of my post is racist. I'm extremely interested to know. The Seagull has landed
  • Score: 1

11:03am Wed 6 Aug 14

The Seagull has landed says...

sen c b l wrote:
The Seagull has landed wrote:
sen c b l wrote:
Oh crikey, the indeginious have had it.
Your women are going to use you guys as tennis balls!
As opposed to "your" women who are going to be used and second class citizens and punch bags.
What did you do to yours, kick her out and turned into a male admirer. Couldn't talk and come to a peaceful agreement but just turned to hate!
U 4 kr5 can't live with anyone.
I have no idea what on earth you're going on about Sen, have you had a stroke?
[quote][p][bold]sen c b l[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Seagull has landed[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sen c b l[/bold] wrote: Oh crikey, the indeginious have had it. Your women are going to use you guys as tennis balls![/p][/quote]As opposed to "your" women who are going to be used and second class citizens and punch bags.[/p][/quote]What did you do to yours, kick her out and turned into a male admirer. Couldn't talk and come to a peaceful agreement but just turned to hate! U 4 kr5 can't live with anyone.[/p][/quote]I have no idea what on earth you're going on about Sen, have you had a stroke? The Seagull has landed
  • Score: 1

11:06am Wed 6 Aug 14

The Seagull has landed says...

greenscreener wrote:
A serious issue Immediately turned into an irrelevant argument fuelled by racism.

FFS, is there not one shred of decency in you ?
And since when has the topic of Muslim women being treated as second class citizens been irrelevant?
Please think before you type.
[quote][p][bold]greenscreener[/bold] wrote: A serious issue Immediately turned into an irrelevant argument fuelled by racism. FFS, is there not one shred of decency in you ?[/p][/quote]And since when has the topic of Muslim women being treated as second class citizens been irrelevant? Please think before you type. The Seagull has landed
  • Score: -6

12:41pm Wed 6 Aug 14

greenscreener says...

The pejorative use of the term 'your' in the initial post was provocative and racist, you replied in kind, even confirming in your recent post that your use of the term was aimed at Muslims. Therefore we have a race fuelled argument.

Domestic violence is not a race issue, it inflicts all cultures, the issue is that the victims need more support, not their race, therefore your argument was irrelevant.
The pejorative use of the term 'your' in the initial post was provocative and racist, you replied in kind, even confirming in your recent post that your use of the term was aimed at Muslims. Therefore we have a race fuelled argument. Domestic violence is not a race issue, it inflicts all cultures, the issue is that the victims need more support, not their race, therefore your argument was irrelevant. greenscreener
  • Score: 4

7:55pm Wed 6 Aug 14

sen c b l says...

The Seagull has landed wrote:
sen c b l wrote:
The Seagull has landed wrote:
sen c b l wrote:
Oh crikey, the indeginious have had it.
Your women are going to use you guys as tennis balls!
As opposed to "your" women who are going to be used and second class citizens and punch bags.
What did you do to yours, kick her out and turned into a male admirer. Couldn't talk and come to a peaceful agreement but just turned to hate!
U 4 kr5 can't live with anyone.
I have no idea what on earth you're going on about Sen, have you had a stroke?
You little liar. Im referring to your posted comment three months ago in the identical news article where you quoted that you had separated from your female partner and had taken a keen interest in the same sex as you. My post was in some way pointing a finger in your direction and you took the bait. Sorry pal but your post specifically quoted 'your' women. I may be an asian but please do not insult me by describing as a @akistani or @oslem.
[quote][p][bold]The Seagull has landed[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sen c b l[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Seagull has landed[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sen c b l[/bold] wrote: Oh crikey, the indeginious have had it. Your women are going to use you guys as tennis balls![/p][/quote]As opposed to "your" women who are going to be used and second class citizens and punch bags.[/p][/quote]What did you do to yours, kick her out and turned into a male admirer. Couldn't talk and come to a peaceful agreement but just turned to hate! U 4 kr5 can't live with anyone.[/p][/quote]I have no idea what on earth you're going on about Sen, have you had a stroke?[/p][/quote]You little liar. Im referring to your posted comment three months ago in the identical news article where you quoted that you had separated from your female partner and had taken a keen interest in the same sex as you. My post was in some way pointing a finger in your direction and you took the bait. Sorry pal but your post specifically quoted 'your' women. I may be an asian but please do not insult me by describing as a @akistani or @oslem. sen c b l
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree