AN event to commemorate the start of the First World War has been cancelled due to a lack of interest.
Mellor Village Hall had been set to host the event on Saturday, August 23.
Organisers said that not enough tickets had been sold to cover the costs of holding the event.
It had been hoped to raise money for Help for Heroes.
Residents had been asked to donate memorabilia to be displayed on the day.
A spokesman for the organisers said: “Sadly we've had to cancel the proposed First World War commemoration event.
“Despite some very generous offers of items for the planned exhibition general interest within the village has been low and it did not look like we would sell enough tickets to cover our costs, let alone generate a surplus for our proposed Help for Heroes charity.
“I would like to thank those that volunteered help and/or artefacts.
“It’s a shame I can't say we can always do it next year.”
Coun Pat Young, chair of Mellor Parish Council, said that she hoped that the event would be staged later in the year.
She said: “It’s very sad that it’s not going to go ahead.
“The problem is that it’s the holiday period and people are away from the village.
“People book holidays months in advance and don’t necessarily realise that these sorts of things are being booked at the same time.
“I would hope that it will be staged later in the year and I will speak to the organisers about it.
“It’s a real shame that it will not be held in August but this sort of thing happens to summer events every year.”
Writing on Facebook, Mellor resident Nicola Sumner said: “I didn’t know anything about it.
“It is a shame especially as it was for charity too.”
Neighbour Lisa Wallace added: “Is there no chance at all?
“I didn't know the tickets were on sale yet to be honest.
“I was fully planning to go.”