SIX cats have been killed from suspected anti-freeze poisoning in the same street.
Animal welfare experts are investigating the deaths in Albert Street, Padiham, which have taken place in the past week.
Residents said the street has been dubbed ‘Cat Street’ as the pets are so popular.
One owner, Emma Mayor had to take her pet Gizmo to the vets after he appeared to be ‘drunk’ and was struggling to walk.
Carer Emma said: “Gizmo wasn’t just a cat, he was the love of my life.
“I got him when my mother died and he cheered me up and became part of the family. I’m devastated by what’s happened.”
Emma and her daughter, Cadie, were told that Gizmo had been poisoned and had to be put down.
Cadie said: “We thought he must have just found the anti-freeze somewhere and drank it but my dad found out about two other cats that had died.
“He knocked on everyone’s door to warn them and now we know that six have died altogether so someone must be doing it deliberately.
“Who would be using antifreeze in June?”
Vivien Storey said she saw her 14-year-old cat, Diesel, attempt to jump over the back yard wall.
She said: “She couldn’t manage it even though she’d done it millions of times before.”
Vivien thought Diesel had bumped her head when she fell from the wall but she saw Diesel having a fit.
“She’s never had a fit before and it upset me that much that I went outside into the street to try to find someone to help me.
“I just couldn’t look at her, it was breaking my heart.
“I rang my husband and he came home and wrapped her in a towel and took her to the vets. She said it’s the same symptoms as other cats in the street and we’d have to put her to sleep.
“She was so beautiful and I can’t understand why people would hurt them.”
The RSPCA is looking into the events in Albert Street, as well as cat deaths in Manor Street, Nelson, and Reginald Street, Colne.
Inspector Charlotte Booker said: “This is an extremely serious offence and offenders will face a jail term or a fine of up to £20,000 if and when we catch them.
“We also want to urge all cat owners in these areas to be vigilant and to look out for poisoning symptoms.”
She said this could include the animals appearing to be drunk and struggling with normal movement.
Call the RSPCA on 0300 1234 999.