A MAN was rescued by fire crews after trying to battle a blaze in the front room of his home himself.

Three fire engines were called to the house, in Macleod Street, in Nelson, to find the householder was still inside.

He was given first aid after being taken outside.

He was later given food and drink, and cared for by a fire emergency support vehicle while temporary accommodation was arranged following the fire, which broke out at around 1.30am on Sunday.

Neighbours reported seeing smoke coming from windows, and saw the man go back into the house.

The cause of the fire was later found to be accidental, due to an electrical fault in an extension lead.

The house was heavily smoke-logged and had to be cleared with ventilation units.

Crews were on the scene for around two-and-a-half hours, putting out the fire and carrying out an investigation.

A smoke alarm inside the property did not sound because it was not fitted on a ceiling.

Dave Robinson, a Nelson Fire Station crew manager, said: “Electrical items are common place in the home these days, forming a large part of our everyday lives.

“The best way to prevent an electrical fire is to switch off any equipment when it’s not in use. This is especially important at bedtime.

“Avoid running electrical cables and leads underneath carpets, or rugs, as unseen wear and damage can occur.”

Mr Robinson also stressed the importance of having a working smoke alarm.

He added: “Smoke alarms save lives. You are more than twice as likely to die in a fire at home if you haven’t got one.

“A smoke alarm is the easiest way to alert you to the danger of fire.”