Police appeal after cyclist seriously injured in Blackburn

Police appeal after cyclist seriously injured in Blackburn

Police appeal after cyclist seriously injured in Blackburn

First published in News
Last updated

POLICE are appealing for information after a pedal cyclist was seriously injured in a collision.

The accident happened at 12.15pm on Sunday, June 1st when a black Suzuki Swift collided with a cyclist on Preston Old Road, Blackburn at the entrance to Witton Park.

The pedal cyclist is a 69-year-old man from Preston and is currently in Royal Preston Hospital in a critical condition.

Specially trained officers are supporting the injured man’s family.

Police are appealing for witnesses as it is unsure exactly how the collision occurred. No arrests have been made at this stage.

Sgt John Jennings-Wharton, of East Division Roads Policing Unit, said: “Witton Park was busy with members of the public today enjoying the fine weather.

"Both the Suzuki Swift and the pedal cycle were travelling towards Blackburn town centre from the Pleasington area and I urge anyone who saw either the car or the pedal cyclist at that time in the area of the collision to contact police.”

Anyone with information should contact police on 101 quoting log number 0783 of Sunday, June 1st.

Comments (13)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:21pm Mon 2 Jun 14

woolywords says...

Whilst I wish you the best of luck with this appeal: this is Blackburn, where so few are properly qualified, nor even, insured drivers; wholly lacking that moral compass, to make them stop, directly after an accident.

When caught, they can expect a mere tap on the wrist, as punishment.
Whilst I wish you the best of luck with this appeal: this is Blackburn, where so few are properly qualified, nor even, insured drivers; wholly lacking that moral compass, to make them stop, directly after an accident. When caught, they can expect a mere tap on the wrist, as punishment. woolywords
  • Score: 15

1:32pm Mon 2 Jun 14

romila says...

There were several people hanging around the site of the accident, hope someone saw enough to help the enquiry and that the cyclist makes a speedy recovery
There were several people hanging around the site of the accident, hope someone saw enough to help the enquiry and that the cyclist makes a speedy recovery romila
  • Score: 20

1:53pm Mon 2 Jun 14

DG6985 says...

I wish the cyclist a speedy recovery, cycling should be environmentally friendly way to travel and great exercise if it wasn't for the ignorant drivers who just want to get somewhere sooner instead of obeying the traffic laws.
I wish the cyclist a speedy recovery, cycling should be environmentally friendly way to travel and great exercise if it wasn't for the ignorant drivers who just want to get somewhere sooner instead of obeying the traffic laws. DG6985
  • Score: 17

1:58pm Mon 2 Jun 14

Blackburnley says...

woolywords wrote:
Whilst I wish you the best of luck with this appeal: this is Blackburn, where so few are properly qualified, nor even, insured drivers; wholly lacking that moral compass, to make them stop, directly after an accident.

When caught, they can expect a mere tap on the wrist, as punishment.
There is no mention of the driver failing to stop, nor is there any suggestion the driver was uninsured or he/she would have been arrested.
[quote][p][bold]woolywords[/bold] wrote: Whilst I wish you the best of luck with this appeal: this is Blackburn, where so few are properly qualified, nor even, insured drivers; wholly lacking that moral compass, to make them stop, directly after an accident. When caught, they can expect a mere tap on the wrist, as punishment.[/p][/quote]There is no mention of the driver failing to stop, nor is there any suggestion the driver was uninsured or he/she would have been arrested. Blackburnley
  • Score: 25

4:28pm Mon 2 Jun 14

greenscreener says...

DG6985 wrote:
I wish the cyclist a speedy recovery, cycling should be environmentally friendly way to travel and great exercise if it wasn't for the ignorant drivers who just want to get somewhere sooner instead of obeying the traffic laws.
I realise you are being deliberately provocative but you only need to observe any traffic light controlled junction to see that in built up areas cyclists disobey the laws far more frequently than motorists. When it comes to ignorance those who believe wearing brightly coloured Lycra makes you indestructible take some beating.
However, I certainly don't wish any harm to anyone so good luck to the guy who was the subject of this article.
[quote][p][bold]DG6985[/bold] wrote: I wish the cyclist a speedy recovery, cycling should be environmentally friendly way to travel and great exercise if it wasn't for the ignorant drivers who just want to get somewhere sooner instead of obeying the traffic laws.[/p][/quote]I realise you are being deliberately provocative but you only need to observe any traffic light controlled junction to see that in built up areas cyclists disobey the laws far more frequently than motorists. When it comes to ignorance those who believe wearing brightly coloured Lycra makes you indestructible take some beating. However, I certainly don't wish any harm to anyone so good luck to the guy who was the subject of this article. greenscreener
  • Score: 16

4:57pm Mon 2 Jun 14

rudis_dad says...

greenscreener wrote:
DG6985 wrote:
I wish the cyclist a speedy recovery, cycling should be environmentally friendly way to travel and great exercise if it wasn't for the ignorant drivers who just want to get somewhere sooner instead of obeying the traffic laws.
I realise you are being deliberately provocative but you only need to observe any traffic light controlled junction to see that in built up areas cyclists disobey the laws far more frequently than motorists. When it comes to ignorance those who believe wearing brightly coloured Lycra makes you indestructible take some beating.
However, I certainly don't wish any harm to anyone so good luck to the guy who was the subject of this article.
Really? You reckon? Given that there are far fewer cyclists on the roads than motor vehicles I find that claim hard to believe, especially without any evidence to back it up! As a cyclist myself (as well as a driver) it annoys me that people like you seem to think that ALL cyclists take liberties and assume that we have some god-given right - some do take that attitude, but the vast majority don't. I suspect that you have never ridden a bicycle in heavy traffic and experienced the attitude that many motorists take towards cyclists (i.e., that you're less than human and/or don't exist). I suggest that you might want to try it before making such fatuous comments.
[quote][p][bold]greenscreener[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DG6985[/bold] wrote: I wish the cyclist a speedy recovery, cycling should be environmentally friendly way to travel and great exercise if it wasn't for the ignorant drivers who just want to get somewhere sooner instead of obeying the traffic laws.[/p][/quote]I realise you are being deliberately provocative but you only need to observe any traffic light controlled junction to see that in built up areas cyclists disobey the laws far more frequently than motorists. When it comes to ignorance those who believe wearing brightly coloured Lycra makes you indestructible take some beating. However, I certainly don't wish any harm to anyone so good luck to the guy who was the subject of this article.[/p][/quote]Really? You reckon? Given that there are far fewer cyclists on the roads than motor vehicles I find that claim hard to believe, especially without any evidence to back it up! As a cyclist myself (as well as a driver) it annoys me that people like you seem to think that ALL cyclists take liberties and assume that we have some god-given right - some do take that attitude, but the vast majority don't. I suspect that you have never ridden a bicycle in heavy traffic and experienced the attitude that many motorists take towards cyclists (i.e., that you're less than human and/or don't exist). I suggest that you might want to try it before making such fatuous comments. rudis_dad
  • Score: -5

6:35pm Mon 2 Jun 14

JayEss says...

greenscreener wrote:
DG6985 wrote:
I wish the cyclist a speedy recovery, cycling should be environmentally friendly way to travel and great exercise if it wasn't for the ignorant drivers who just want to get somewhere sooner instead of obeying the traffic laws.
I realise you are being deliberately provocative but you only need to observe any traffic light controlled junction to see that in built up areas cyclists disobey the laws far more frequently than motorists. When it comes to ignorance those who believe wearing brightly coloured Lycra makes you indestructible take some beating.
However, I certainly don't wish any harm to anyone so good luck to the guy who was the subject of this article.
If you really want to improve road safety then you'd be wasting your time targeting cyclists behaviour. People on bikes essentially cause zero harm, it's cars that cause the damage. Exactly like in this case.

Also, people in cars break the law frequently and with impunity. Our roads are just not policed and rules are not enforced.

If you genuinely believe that cyclists break laws more than motorists then you are wrong. Simply wrong.
[quote][p][bold]greenscreener[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DG6985[/bold] wrote: I wish the cyclist a speedy recovery, cycling should be environmentally friendly way to travel and great exercise if it wasn't for the ignorant drivers who just want to get somewhere sooner instead of obeying the traffic laws.[/p][/quote]I realise you are being deliberately provocative but you only need to observe any traffic light controlled junction to see that in built up areas cyclists disobey the laws far more frequently than motorists. When it comes to ignorance those who believe wearing brightly coloured Lycra makes you indestructible take some beating. However, I certainly don't wish any harm to anyone so good luck to the guy who was the subject of this article.[/p][/quote]If you really want to improve road safety then you'd be wasting your time targeting cyclists behaviour. People on bikes essentially cause zero harm, it's cars that cause the damage. Exactly like in this case. Also, people in cars break the law frequently and with impunity. Our roads are just not policed and rules are not enforced. If you genuinely believe that cyclists break laws more than motorists then you are wrong. Simply wrong. JayEss
  • Score: 0

7:46pm Mon 2 Jun 14

Stone Island: says...

JayEss wrote:
greenscreener wrote:
DG6985 wrote:
I wish the cyclist a speedy recovery, cycling should be environmentally friendly way to travel and great exercise if it wasn't for the ignorant drivers who just want to get somewhere sooner instead of obeying the traffic laws.
I realise you are being deliberately provocative but you only need to observe any traffic light controlled junction to see that in built up areas cyclists disobey the laws far more frequently than motorists. When it comes to ignorance those who believe wearing brightly coloured Lycra makes you indestructible take some beating.
However, I certainly don't wish any harm to anyone so good luck to the guy who was the subject of this article.
If you really want to improve road safety then you'd be wasting your time targeting cyclists behaviour. People on bikes essentially cause zero harm, it's cars that cause the damage. Exactly like in this case.

Also, people in cars break the law frequently and with impunity. Our roads are just not policed and rules are not enforced.

If you genuinely believe that cyclists break laws more than motorists then you are wrong. Simply wrong.
I can't remember a cyclist EVER being prosecuted for going through a red light, or for undertaking. Can you?
[quote][p][bold]JayEss[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]greenscreener[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DG6985[/bold] wrote: I wish the cyclist a speedy recovery, cycling should be environmentally friendly way to travel and great exercise if it wasn't for the ignorant drivers who just want to get somewhere sooner instead of obeying the traffic laws.[/p][/quote]I realise you are being deliberately provocative but you only need to observe any traffic light controlled junction to see that in built up areas cyclists disobey the laws far more frequently than motorists. When it comes to ignorance those who believe wearing brightly coloured Lycra makes you indestructible take some beating. However, I certainly don't wish any harm to anyone so good luck to the guy who was the subject of this article.[/p][/quote]If you really want to improve road safety then you'd be wasting your time targeting cyclists behaviour. People on bikes essentially cause zero harm, it's cars that cause the damage. Exactly like in this case. Also, people in cars break the law frequently and with impunity. Our roads are just not policed and rules are not enforced. If you genuinely believe that cyclists break laws more than motorists then you are wrong. Simply wrong.[/p][/quote]I can't remember a cyclist EVER being prosecuted for going through a red light, or for undertaking. Can you? Stone Island:
  • Score: 3

8:49pm Mon 2 Jun 14

JayEss says...

Stone Island: wrote:
JayEss wrote:
greenscreener wrote:
DG6985 wrote:
I wish the cyclist a speedy recovery, cycling should be environmentally friendly way to travel and great exercise if it wasn't for the ignorant drivers who just want to get somewhere sooner instead of obeying the traffic laws.
I realise you are being deliberately provocative but you only need to observe any traffic light controlled junction to see that in built up areas cyclists disobey the laws far more frequently than motorists. When it comes to ignorance those who believe wearing brightly coloured Lycra makes you indestructible take some beating.
However, I certainly don't wish any harm to anyone so good luck to the guy who was the subject of this article.
If you really want to improve road safety then you'd be wasting your time targeting cyclists behaviour. People on bikes essentially cause zero harm, it's cars that cause the damage. Exactly like in this case.

Also, people in cars break the law frequently and with impunity. Our roads are just not policed and rules are not enforced.

If you genuinely believe that cyclists break laws more than motorists then you are wrong. Simply wrong.
I can't remember a cyclist EVER being prosecuted for going through a red light, or for undertaking. Can you?
People do get caught jumping lights. Around 4,000 across the country last time I read about it (from memory). Undertaking on a bike isn't illegal so there won't be any prosecutions.

It reads like you are ignoring my point. In terms of road safety targeting cyclist behaviour is a waste of resources. Even if all cyclists were 100% angels the roads would be essentially no safer. Resources need to be targeted on motor traffic and proper cycling facilities to make roads safer (although they are pretty safe anyway)
[quote][p][bold]Stone Island:[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JayEss[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]greenscreener[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DG6985[/bold] wrote: I wish the cyclist a speedy recovery, cycling should be environmentally friendly way to travel and great exercise if it wasn't for the ignorant drivers who just want to get somewhere sooner instead of obeying the traffic laws.[/p][/quote]I realise you are being deliberately provocative but you only need to observe any traffic light controlled junction to see that in built up areas cyclists disobey the laws far more frequently than motorists. When it comes to ignorance those who believe wearing brightly coloured Lycra makes you indestructible take some beating. However, I certainly don't wish any harm to anyone so good luck to the guy who was the subject of this article.[/p][/quote]If you really want to improve road safety then you'd be wasting your time targeting cyclists behaviour. People on bikes essentially cause zero harm, it's cars that cause the damage. Exactly like in this case. Also, people in cars break the law frequently and with impunity. Our roads are just not policed and rules are not enforced. If you genuinely believe that cyclists break laws more than motorists then you are wrong. Simply wrong.[/p][/quote]I can't remember a cyclist EVER being prosecuted for going through a red light, or for undertaking. Can you?[/p][/quote]People do get caught jumping lights. Around 4,000 across the country last time I read about it (from memory). Undertaking on a bike isn't illegal so there won't be any prosecutions. It reads like you are ignoring my point. In terms of road safety targeting cyclist behaviour is a waste of resources. Even if all cyclists were 100% angels the roads would be essentially no safer. Resources need to be targeted on motor traffic and proper cycling facilities to make roads safer (although they are pretty safe anyway) JayEss
  • Score: -4

11:25pm Mon 2 Jun 14

noddy57 says...

All the very best to the poor chap l hope he recovers.
All the very best to the poor chap l hope he recovers. noddy57
  • Score: 5

11:39pm Mon 2 Jun 14

greenscreener says...

rudis_dad wrote:
greenscreener wrote:
DG6985 wrote:
I wish the cyclist a speedy recovery, cycling should be environmentally friendly way to travel and great exercise if it wasn't for the ignorant drivers who just want to get somewhere sooner instead of obeying the traffic laws.
I realise you are being deliberately provocative but you only need to observe any traffic light controlled junction to see that in built up areas cyclists disobey the laws far more frequently than motorists. When it comes to ignorance those who believe wearing brightly coloured Lycra makes you indestructible take some beating.
However, I certainly don't wish any harm to anyone so good luck to the guy who was the subject of this article.
Really? You reckon? Given that there are far fewer cyclists on the roads than motor vehicles I find that claim hard to believe, especially without any evidence to back it up! As a cyclist myself (as well as a driver) it annoys me that people like you seem to think that ALL cyclists take liberties and assume that we have some god-given right - some do take that attitude, but the vast majority don't. I suspect that you have never ridden a bicycle in heavy traffic and experienced the attitude that many motorists take towards cyclists (i.e., that you're less than human and/or don't exist). I suggest that you might want to try it before making such fatuous comments.
Actually I have been cycling for over 40 years, and driving for over 30, my evidence is simply what I've witnessed, It is not often I see a car blatantly run a red light, it is however something I see cyclists doing regularly.

My argument is that this is not the one sided moral debate many cyclists would like it to be, but thanks for joining in and helping prove my point.
[quote][p][bold]rudis_dad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]greenscreener[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DG6985[/bold] wrote: I wish the cyclist a speedy recovery, cycling should be environmentally friendly way to travel and great exercise if it wasn't for the ignorant drivers who just want to get somewhere sooner instead of obeying the traffic laws.[/p][/quote]I realise you are being deliberately provocative but you only need to observe any traffic light controlled junction to see that in built up areas cyclists disobey the laws far more frequently than motorists. When it comes to ignorance those who believe wearing brightly coloured Lycra makes you indestructible take some beating. However, I certainly don't wish any harm to anyone so good luck to the guy who was the subject of this article.[/p][/quote]Really? You reckon? Given that there are far fewer cyclists on the roads than motor vehicles I find that claim hard to believe, especially without any evidence to back it up! As a cyclist myself (as well as a driver) it annoys me that people like you seem to think that ALL cyclists take liberties and assume that we have some god-given right - some do take that attitude, but the vast majority don't. I suspect that you have never ridden a bicycle in heavy traffic and experienced the attitude that many motorists take towards cyclists (i.e., that you're less than human and/or don't exist). I suggest that you might want to try it before making such fatuous comments.[/p][/quote]Actually I have been cycling for over 40 years, and driving for over 30, my evidence is simply what I've witnessed, It is not often I see a car blatantly run a red light, it is however something I see cyclists doing regularly. My argument is that this is not the one sided moral debate many cyclists would like it to be, but thanks for joining in and helping prove my point. greenscreener
  • Score: 2

2:05am Tue 3 Jun 14

thoroughbred says...

I'm sure there's traffic camera's along there?
I'm sure there's traffic camera's along there? thoroughbred
  • Score: 2

8:04am Tue 3 Jun 14

steve18gls says...

greenscreener wrote:
rudis_dad wrote:
greenscreener wrote:
DG6985 wrote:
I wish the cyclist a speedy recovery, cycling should be environmentally friendly way to travel and great exercise if it wasn't for the ignorant drivers who just want to get somewhere sooner instead of obeying the traffic laws.
I realise you are being deliberately provocative but you only need to observe any traffic light controlled junction to see that in built up areas cyclists disobey the laws far more frequently than motorists. When it comes to ignorance those who believe wearing brightly coloured Lycra makes you indestructible take some beating.
However, I certainly don't wish any harm to anyone so good luck to the guy who was the subject of this article.
Really? You reckon? Given that there are far fewer cyclists on the roads than motor vehicles I find that claim hard to believe, especially without any evidence to back it up! As a cyclist myself (as well as a driver) it annoys me that people like you seem to think that ALL cyclists take liberties and assume that we have some god-given right - some do take that attitude, but the vast majority don't. I suspect that you have never ridden a bicycle in heavy traffic and experienced the attitude that many motorists take towards cyclists (i.e., that you're less than human and/or don't exist). I suggest that you might want to try it before making such fatuous comments.
Actually I have been cycling for over 40 years, and driving for over 30, my evidence is simply what I've witnessed, It is not often I see a car blatantly run a red light, it is however something I see cyclists doing regularly.

My argument is that this is not the one sided moral debate many cyclists would like it to be, but thanks for joining in and helping prove my point.
It is not often you see a car go through a red light. Rubbish ! You stand at any set of traffic lights and you will see several vehicles go through with ample time to stop but choose not to.
[quote][p][bold]greenscreener[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]rudis_dad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]greenscreener[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DG6985[/bold] wrote: I wish the cyclist a speedy recovery, cycling should be environmentally friendly way to travel and great exercise if it wasn't for the ignorant drivers who just want to get somewhere sooner instead of obeying the traffic laws.[/p][/quote]I realise you are being deliberately provocative but you only need to observe any traffic light controlled junction to see that in built up areas cyclists disobey the laws far more frequently than motorists. When it comes to ignorance those who believe wearing brightly coloured Lycra makes you indestructible take some beating. However, I certainly don't wish any harm to anyone so good luck to the guy who was the subject of this article.[/p][/quote]Really? You reckon? Given that there are far fewer cyclists on the roads than motor vehicles I find that claim hard to believe, especially without any evidence to back it up! As a cyclist myself (as well as a driver) it annoys me that people like you seem to think that ALL cyclists take liberties and assume that we have some god-given right - some do take that attitude, but the vast majority don't. I suspect that you have never ridden a bicycle in heavy traffic and experienced the attitude that many motorists take towards cyclists (i.e., that you're less than human and/or don't exist). I suggest that you might want to try it before making such fatuous comments.[/p][/quote]Actually I have been cycling for over 40 years, and driving for over 30, my evidence is simply what I've witnessed, It is not often I see a car blatantly run a red light, it is however something I see cyclists doing regularly. My argument is that this is not the one sided moral debate many cyclists would like it to be, but thanks for joining in and helping prove my point.[/p][/quote]It is not often you see a car go through a red light. Rubbish ! You stand at any set of traffic lights and you will see several vehicles go through with ample time to stop but choose not to. steve18gls
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree