FIRE chiefs have warned against ad-hoc bonfires after extinguishing a garden blaze near to a property in Pendle.

One crew from Nelson station was alerted to an incident at a property in Green Road, Colne, at around 9.35pm on Saturday.

Firefighter David Harris said the householder had decided to burn wood and some other materials in a rear yard.

But the fire crew doused the flames after judging that the fire was too close to the nearby house.

He said: “There aren’t specific laws against having a bonfire, or when you can have one. But there are laws that deal with the nuisance they can cause.”

He urged residents to contact the fire service if they are unsure before staging their own fire or contact their local authority if they need advice regarding recycling.