NEIGHBOURS woke a drunk Nelson man who turned his chip pan on and went to bed.

Residents in Sackville Street were woken by smoke alarms at around 3.15am today and were forced to wake the man up - because he slept through the noise.

Two fire engines from Nelson were called to the terraced street to put out the blaze, which damaged the man’s kitchen.

Crew manager Nigel Greenwood said: “Never cook whilst under the influence of alcohol. Either make sandwiches before you leave your home or get food from a takeaway.”

Crew manager Greenwood also reiterated the importance of having a working smoke alarm.

“A smoke alarm is the easiest way to alert you to the danger of fire, giving you and your family precious time to escape,” he added.

For a free Home Fire Safety Check, advice and smoke alarm test or replacement, visit, call into your local fire station, or call 0800 1691125.