When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
‘Finance’ issues put Ribble Valley concert on hold
AN annual charity rock concert in the Ribble Valley has been cancelled.
Rock at the Castle, which was first staged in 2008, will not be held this year after Clitheroe Town Council cited ‘financial problems’ with the event.
The concert was held in the historic castle grounds and featured local bands including Twist & Shout, Stealer and Freebird.
Since it was established thousands of pounds have been raised for charities including the British Red Cross, North West Air Ambulance and the Mayor of Clitheroe Welfare Fund.
However, the town council has announced that the concert will not return this year because of ‘financial, attendance and logistical’ issues.
Town council leader, Coun Mary Robinson, said: “There were various problems with the event and we took the decision to give it a rest instead of letting it slide further than it had already.
“It was getting a little tired and was in need of refreshing.
“Just because it won’t be held this year does not mean that it will never be staged again. We were struggling to find the funds for the equipment.
“This might not be the end of the concert and we could well see it back next year.”
The council has also announced that the annual Last Night of the Proms Concert will be held on Saturday, August 2, to coincide with the anniversary of the commencement of the First World War.
In the past, the proms were held the same day as Clitheroe Food Festival.
A town council spokesman said the proms had been moved to ‘avoid overcrowding in the town’ and because of ‘complaints’ during the proms of people having ‘difficulty hearing the music’ while seated on the grassed embankment nearer the food festival.
Comments are closed on this article.