Blackburn's Livesey Old Hall to be brought back to life in special event (From Lancashire Telegraph)
When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Blackburn's Livesey Old Hall to be brought back to life in special event
The Livesey coat of arms displayed in Samlesbury Hall dating back to the time Livesey Old Hall was built
THE story of one of Blackburn’s historic old halls which stood for centuries before falling into disrepair is to be brought to life at an event later this month.
Livesey Old Hall was a Jacobean manor house, which once stood just off Preston Old Road in the Cherry Tree area.
It was probably built in the early 17th century and enlarged at a later date, and was the home of Ralph and Ann Livesey and their son, Porter.
In the early 19th century it was sold to Henry and William Feilden, but gradually fell into disrepair and was eventually demolished to make way for the Crescent housing estate in the 1950s and 60s.
George Miller’s Bygone Blackburn book details how the hall was sold in 1805 to Henry and William Feilden, who split it into halves.
In the 1930s and 40 the west portion was still inhabited, but the east half of the hall was empty and had already fallen into disrepair and was, in George Miller’s words ‘a melancholy ruin’.
The hall stood on the site of the current Woodland Crescent and Springfield Avenue.
Christine Parkinson has researched the history of the house and will talk about her findings at Livesey library on Tuesday, April 29 at 2pm.
The organisers say this is sure to be a very popular talk and places are limited, so booking is essential.
Tickets are available from Livesey library; email livesey.
firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 209442 to reserve a place.
Comments are closed on this article.