Lancashire TelegraphBlackburn taxis threaten new strike action (From Lancashire Telegraph)

When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.

Blackburn taxis threaten new strike action

Lancashire Telegraph: Blackburn cabbies threaten new strike action Blackburn cabbies threaten new strike action

TAXIS in Blackburn may strike again unless they see fares rise.

Drivers held an evening strike on Friday when City Cabs proposed dropping the fare rate from £2.80 to £2 for the first mile.

In spite of leaving many people in the area without taxis, drivers say they have received a high level of support from customers during the action.

Now drivers say they want to see fares raised after seven or eight years with fares frozen.

In that time, drivers say petrol costs and insurance have risen dramatically, to the point where they cannot afford to go on without a fare increase. Spokesman for the group, Munawar Hussain, said 65 drivers had joined in the strike and they were canvassing drivers from other firms for their support.

He said: “Once one firm puts their prices up they all do, and every driver is struggling to earn a living.

“The drivers have been patient for so long, waiting and waiting for an increase.

“They were extremely shocked to see these plans recently for a drop in fares.

“When we met with the firm they agreed to drop the plan and so we have gone back to work.

“However this does not solve the pressing issue that drivers are not making ends meet.

“Insurance has gone up something like from £500 to over £1,000 per year for us.

“And everyone knows how fuel prices have gone up.

“We haven’t ruled out more strike action unless we are assured that there is going to be a change in the situation.

“One thing I must say is that the support of our customers has been most welcome.

“They see the logic and that the economics don’t add up and we are very grateful for the messages of support they have given us.”

A spokesperson for City Cabs said:”We’re not yet aware of what the drivers will request so we will be speaking to them and looking into it.

“We can’t comment further until we do.”

Comments (51)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:20pm Tue 25 Mar 14

bluewindow says...

Let them!!!
Let them!!! bluewindow
  • Score: 30

4:24pm Tue 25 Mar 14

RoverTheHill says...

Aren't these the same people who a few weeks back were complaining that the Blackburn Town Centre is dying and needed reinvigorating? Good work lads, put your fares up, thats the way to bring people back to the town centre.

Idiots. There's a big reason a lot of people prefer to drink at home now, IT'S CHEAPER! Talk about nail in your own coffin.
Aren't these the same people who a few weeks back were complaining that the Blackburn Town Centre is dying and needed reinvigorating? Good work lads, put your fares up, thats the way to bring people back to the town centre. Idiots. There's a big reason a lot of people prefer to drink at home now, IT'S CHEAPER! Talk about nail in your own coffin. RoverTheHill
  • Score: 54

4:26pm Tue 25 Mar 14

hunter3062 says...

hmm where was the mention of repair costs..seems that's the last thing on their mind..keep death off the road strike now.and if your ins keeps rising stop the cash for crash scams...
hmm where was the mention of repair costs..seems that's the last thing on their mind..keep death off the road strike now.and if your ins keeps rising stop the cash for crash scams... hunter3062
  • Score: 40

4:26pm Tue 25 Mar 14

bow1974 says...

Ha Ha who cares like bluewindow says let them they are only taking money out there own pockets half of them shouldn't be on the roads anyway.STRIKE STRIKE STRIKE.
Ha Ha who cares like bluewindow says let them they are only taking money out there own pockets half of them shouldn't be on the roads anyway.STRIKE STRIKE STRIKE. bow1974
  • Score: 38

4:28pm Tue 25 Mar 14

Lurid67 says...

Passengers should boycott these stinking death traps, but go on strike cabbies we don't care
Passengers should boycott these stinking death traps, but go on strike cabbies we don't care Lurid67
  • Score: 50

4:34pm Tue 25 Mar 14

bow1974 says...

Lurid67 wrote:
Passengers should boycott these stinking death traps, but go on strike cabbies we don't care
Totally agree an out and out boycott should happen I wouldn't set foot in a taxi these days I'd rather walk.
[quote][p][bold]Lurid67[/bold] wrote: Passengers should boycott these stinking death traps, but go on strike cabbies we don't care[/p][/quote]Totally agree an out and out boycott should happen I wouldn't set foot in a taxi these days I'd rather walk. bow1974
  • Score: 43

4:37pm Tue 25 Mar 14

bow1974 says...

hunter3062 wrote:
hmm where was the mention of repair costs..seems that's the last thing on their mind..keep death off the road strike now.and if your ins keeps rising stop the cash for crash scams...
never mind repair cost its obvious they cant afford them just look at what they are all wearing they must have to shop at the clothing bank don't they all look smart.
[quote][p][bold]hunter3062[/bold] wrote: hmm where was the mention of repair costs..seems that's the last thing on their mind..keep death off the road strike now.and if your ins keeps rising stop the cash for crash scams...[/p][/quote]never mind repair cost its obvious they cant afford them just look at what they are all wearing they must have to shop at the clothing bank don't they all look smart. bow1974
  • Score: 31

4:58pm Tue 25 Mar 14

campbell69s says...

Provide a better service, then, maybe, consider raising prices.
Provide a better service, then, maybe, consider raising prices. campbell69s
  • Score: 20

4:59pm Tue 25 Mar 14

easypeasy says...

Lurid67 wrote:
Passengers should boycott these stinking death traps, but go on strike cabbies we don't care
Totally agree they are death traps. The drivers have no road standards most of them have never heard of the Highway Code. They speed up & down with no consideration for road users or pedestrians, flouting the law in so many ways. How many I wonder have been allowed to pass an MOT with a backhander payment MOST OF THEM.
[quote][p][bold]Lurid67[/bold] wrote: Passengers should boycott these stinking death traps, but go on strike cabbies we don't care[/p][/quote]Totally agree they are death traps. The drivers have no road standards most of them have never heard of the Highway Code. They speed up & down with no consideration for road users or pedestrians, flouting the law in so many ways. How many I wonder have been allowed to pass an MOT with a backhander payment MOST OF THEM. easypeasy
  • Score: 38

5:02pm Tue 25 Mar 14

Shadred says...

I hope they do the roads would become far safer
I hope they do the roads would become far safer Shadred
  • Score: 33

5:11pm Tue 25 Mar 14

blackburnangel999 says...

despite your negativity about the taxi drivers I can guarantee that's its all you people who use the taxi service of Blackburn regularly! At least they're not on benefits like you lot and actually get up in the morning to earn an honest living, and as for death traps, you idiot people the council carries out the MOT for all taxis every 4, 6 or 12 months depending on age of car so blame your council if the cars are death traps, not the cabbies!!!
and u cant afford to drink in pubs because the govt keeps increasing duty on booze and supermarkets sell cheaper booze, not because of taxi fares being excessive or taxis not being safe to travel in!
despite your negativity about the taxi drivers I can guarantee that's its all you people who use the taxi service of Blackburn regularly! At least they're not on benefits like you lot and actually get up in the morning to earn an honest living, and as for death traps, you idiot people the council carries out the MOT for all taxis every 4, 6 or 12 months depending on age of car so blame your council if the cars are death traps, not the cabbies!!! and u cant afford to drink in pubs because the govt keeps increasing duty on booze and supermarkets sell cheaper booze, not because of taxi fares being excessive or taxis not being safe to travel in! blackburnangel999
  • Score: -66

5:14pm Tue 25 Mar 14

Cimbri says...

No sympathy for any of them because when they were making good money, they opted to buy a bigger house, rather than buy a decent vehicle.
5th or 10th hand vehicles, of over c10 years of age, have already served their purposes and should not be allowed on the roads, as a matter of public safety.
The reason that your insurance rates have gone up is simply because of the condition of your vehicles, which requires 3 MoT style checks in a year. This is as a direct result of the numbers of them that are only fit for scrap, rather than only being driven at night, when the council examiners are not around.
We already have some of the most expensive taxi rates in the county and you want more, I think that you are terrified that you will have to attract customers, by giving them exactly what they want. A clean interior that doesn't smell of either the last meal or cigarette that you had, with your personal radio, turned off and arrives on time. When you pick up your fare, you don't start using either your phone, messenger or radio, while moving.
That you display the badge, certifying that you are the driver, not some brother or mate, so that customers know whom to complain about.
Rather than strike to raise rates, why not seek to reduce the exorbitant rates charged by proprietors, for use of their radio equipment, as I think you may get support for that, if the truth were known.

I fail to see why this council will not insist that all taxis are fitted with a sealed and calibrated meter, as this will stop all disputes over fares and rates. Not to mention that it can be used to assess the true earnings of any vehicle, for taxation purposes.
No sympathy for any of them because when they were making good money, they opted to buy a bigger house, rather than buy a decent vehicle. 5th or 10th hand vehicles, of over c10 years of age, have already served their purposes and should not be allowed on the roads, as a matter of public safety. The reason that your insurance rates have gone up is simply because of the condition of your vehicles, which requires 3 MoT style checks in a year. This is as a direct result of the numbers of them that are only fit for scrap, rather than only being driven at night, when the council examiners are not around. We already have some of the most expensive taxi rates in the county and you want more, I think that you are terrified that you will have to attract customers, by giving them exactly what they want. A clean interior that doesn't smell of either the last meal or cigarette that you had, with your personal radio, turned off and arrives on time. When you pick up your fare, you don't start using either your phone, messenger or radio, while moving. That you display the badge, certifying that you are the driver, not some brother or mate, so that customers know whom to complain about. Rather than strike to raise rates, why not seek to reduce the exorbitant rates charged by proprietors, for use of their radio equipment, as I think you may get support for that, if the truth were known. I fail to see why this council will not insist that all taxis are fitted with a sealed and calibrated meter, as this will stop all disputes over fares and rates. Not to mention that it can be used to assess the true earnings of any vehicle, for taxation purposes. Cimbri
  • Score: 42

5:20pm Tue 25 Mar 14

Excluded again says...

Why don't these cab drivers go and work for another firm? Or set up their own firm run by drivers themselves?
Why don't these cab drivers go and work for another firm? Or set up their own firm run by drivers themselves? Excluded again
  • Score: 15

5:20pm Tue 25 Mar 14

burner says...

On strike ? What you gonna stop doin ? . . . cos it's not cleaning out yer cabs or fixing faults ,
On strike ? What you gonna stop doin ? . . . cos it's not cleaning out yer cabs or fixing faults , burner
  • Score: 22

5:30pm Tue 25 Mar 14

gnabi says...

Insurances have risen because of your bogus claims and if you can not make ends meet why dont you find another job?
Insurances have risen because of your bogus claims and if you can not make ends meet why dont you find another job? gnabi
  • Score: 26

5:44pm Tue 25 Mar 14

CorkyMac says...

We thank our customers for their support! Not seeing much support on here for you, maybe It's a figment of your Imagination to back up your story. Do us all a favour and strike, who cares!
We thank our customers for their support! Not seeing much support on here for you, maybe It's a figment of your Imagination to back up your story. Do us all a favour and strike, who cares! CorkyMac
  • Score: 27

5:47pm Tue 25 Mar 14

kojak1010 says...

Go on strike it might give others a decent chance who want a job that's decent money. Anyone who says it's not good money is a liar I've done the job and it was really good money! Just lazy people wanting more and more for basically doing! I heard it all first hand just greedy drivers grabbing all they can.
Go on strike it might give others a decent chance who want a job that's decent money. Anyone who says it's not good money is a liar I've done the job and it was really good money! Just lazy people wanting more and more for basically doing! I heard it all first hand just greedy drivers grabbing all they can. kojak1010
  • Score: 27

6:16pm Tue 25 Mar 14

vendetta1964 says...

people just make a note how many drive around with lights out and yes i know lights fail but also notice how many drive around for days/ weeks with the same fault if they can't be bothered to check their light what else don't they check, as for an MOT as we all know an MOT only proves that the vehicle was compliant when tested as soon as it leaves the MOT bay a fault might occur that can cause the vehicle to fail an MOT so to blame the council for the state of the vehicle is just ridiculous and no i am not on benefits but i am a professional hgv class driver who check his vehicle DAILY and takes pride in the vehicle i drive
people just make a note how many drive around with lights out and yes i know lights fail but also notice how many drive around for days/ weeks with the same fault if they can't be bothered to check their light what else don't they check, as for an MOT as we all know an MOT only proves that the vehicle was compliant when tested as soon as it leaves the MOT bay a fault might occur that can cause the vehicle to fail an MOT so to blame the council for the state of the vehicle is just ridiculous and no i am not on benefits but i am a professional hgv class driver who check his vehicle DAILY and takes pride in the vehicle i drive vendetta1964
  • Score: 30

6:58pm Tue 25 Mar 14

tonyk74 says...

Spot the white man!!!!
Spot the white man!!!! tonyk74
  • Score: 23

7:20pm Tue 25 Mar 14

Steven Seagull says...

I'm surprised Sen C b l hasn't been all over this story like plaque on a tramps teeth.
I'm surprised Sen C b l hasn't been all over this story like plaque on a tramps teeth. Steven Seagull
  • Score: 8

7:48pm Tue 25 Mar 14

hunter3062 says...

vendetta1964 wrote:
people just make a note how many drive around with lights out and yes i know lights fail but also notice how many drive around for days/ weeks with the same fault if they can't be bothered to check their light what else don't they check, as for an MOT as we all know an MOT only proves that the vehicle was compliant when tested as soon as it leaves the MOT bay a fault might occur that can cause the vehicle to fail an MOT so to blame the council for the state of the vehicle is just ridiculous and no i am not on benefits but i am a professional hgv class driver who check his vehicle DAILY and takes pride in the vehicle i drive
you forgot to mention the dcpc we are expected to do every 5 years just to carry on the job we do each and every day..if taxis were governed by vosa the same way they govern us the taxi numbers would decrease by 2 thirds within a year..
[quote][p][bold]vendetta1964[/bold] wrote: people just make a note how many drive around with lights out and yes i know lights fail but also notice how many drive around for days/ weeks with the same fault if they can't be bothered to check their light what else don't they check, as for an MOT as we all know an MOT only proves that the vehicle was compliant when tested as soon as it leaves the MOT bay a fault might occur that can cause the vehicle to fail an MOT so to blame the council for the state of the vehicle is just ridiculous and no i am not on benefits but i am a professional hgv class driver who check his vehicle DAILY and takes pride in the vehicle i drive[/p][/quote]you forgot to mention the dcpc we are expected to do every 5 years just to carry on the job we do each and every day..if taxis were governed by vosa the same way they govern us the taxi numbers would decrease by 2 thirds within a year.. hunter3062
  • Score: 15

7:48pm Tue 25 Mar 14

woodyads says...

Petrol prices are at their lowest for years! Robbing dogs!
Carry on with your strike taxi drivers, we won't miss you...
Petrol prices are at their lowest for years! Robbing dogs! Carry on with your strike taxi drivers, we won't miss you... woodyads
  • Score: 25

8:50pm Tue 25 Mar 14

wrinkles says...

bow1974 wrote:
hunter3062 wrote:
hmm where was the mention of repair costs..seems that's the last thing on their mind..keep death off the road strike now.and if your ins keeps rising stop the cash for crash scams...
never mind repair cost its obvious they cant afford them just look at what they are all wearing they must have to shop at the clothing bank don't they all look smart.
It's unbelievable how dress code standards have fallen since the days when I used to regularly use taxi cabs and taxi drivers wore smart uniforms. What sort of image does the town give to visitors and why does the council allow it?
[quote][p][bold]bow1974[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hunter3062[/bold] wrote: hmm where was the mention of repair costs..seems that's the last thing on their mind..keep death off the road strike now.and if your ins keeps rising stop the cash for crash scams...[/p][/quote]never mind repair cost its obvious they cant afford them just look at what they are all wearing they must have to shop at the clothing bank don't they all look smart.[/p][/quote]It's unbelievable how dress code standards have fallen since the days when I used to regularly use taxi cabs and taxi drivers wore smart uniforms. What sort of image does the town give to visitors and why does the council allow it? wrinkles
  • Score: 21

9:20pm Tue 25 Mar 14

leyton says...

Steven Seagull wrote:
I'm surprised Sen C b l hasn't been all over this story like plaque on a tramps teeth.
yeah but we knew you would be you cretinous moron.
[quote][p][bold]Steven Seagull[/bold] wrote: I'm surprised Sen C b l hasn't been all over this story like plaque on a tramps teeth.[/p][/quote]yeah but we knew you would be you cretinous moron. leyton
  • Score: -21

9:24pm Tue 25 Mar 14

Old Alzheimer says...

I have never taken a taxi !!!

Let 'em get on with it as far as I'm concerned.
I have never taken a taxi !!! Let 'em get on with it as far as I'm concerned. Old Alzheimer
  • Score: 13

9:57pm Tue 25 Mar 14

M.DANNY says...

If folks want to go on strike let them it is democracy and I hear teachers are going on strike for better pay. We went on strike for better pay and conditions too . Cost of fuel, insurance, food prices rent gas electricity all going up so why is our wages not going up ? minimum wage £6.50 an hour by October 2014 ?
Dress code for taxi drivers , suit and ties like in city of York ? Blackburn is just a northern mill town we don't get any tourists ? we don't even have a hotel in town centre in Blackburn ? we are the only large town in UK don't have a hotel in city centre ?
Keep race gender and religion out of this issue just because majority of cab drivers happen to be Asian. They want better pay for their families as cost of living is going up all the time.
If folks want to go on strike let them it is democracy and I hear teachers are going on strike for better pay. We went on strike for better pay and conditions too . Cost of fuel, insurance, food prices rent gas electricity all going up so why is our wages not going up ? minimum wage £6.50 an hour by October 2014 ? Dress code for taxi drivers , suit and ties like in city of York ? Blackburn is just a northern mill town we don't get any tourists ? we don't even have a hotel in town centre in Blackburn ? we are the only large town in UK don't have a hotel in city centre ? Keep race gender and religion out of this issue just because majority of cab drivers happen to be Asian. They want better pay for their families as cost of living is going up all the time. M.DANNY
  • Score: -23

10:45pm Tue 25 Mar 14

happycyclist says...

Hey, they're just a group of guys trying to earn a crust. Give them a break. They generally provide a decent service to the public and have to suffer all manner of idiots, drunks and thugs for pretty low earnings. I've certainly never met a rich taxi driver. Get off their case.
Hey, they're just a group of guys trying to earn a crust. Give them a break. They generally provide a decent service to the public and have to suffer all manner of idiots, drunks and thugs for pretty low earnings. I've certainly never met a rich taxi driver. Get off their case. happycyclist
  • Score: -19

11:13pm Tue 25 Mar 14

doylerf says...

blackburnangel999 wrote:
despite your negativity about the taxi drivers I can guarantee that's its all you people who use the taxi service of Blackburn regularly! At least they're not on benefits like you lot and actually get up in the morning to earn an honest living, and as for death traps, you idiot people the council carries out the MOT for all taxis every 4, 6 or 12 months depending on age of car so blame your council if the cars are death traps, not the cabbies!!!
and u cant afford to drink in pubs because the govt keeps increasing duty on booze and supermarkets sell cheaper booze, not because of taxi fares being excessive or taxis not being safe to travel in!
Tax credits are benefits.
[quote][p][bold]blackburnangel999[/bold] wrote: despite your negativity about the taxi drivers I can guarantee that's its all you people who use the taxi service of Blackburn regularly! At least they're not on benefits like you lot and actually get up in the morning to earn an honest living, and as for death traps, you idiot people the council carries out the MOT for all taxis every 4, 6 or 12 months depending on age of car so blame your council if the cars are death traps, not the cabbies!!! and u cant afford to drink in pubs because the govt keeps increasing duty on booze and supermarkets sell cheaper booze, not because of taxi fares being excessive or taxis not being safe to travel in![/p][/quote]Tax credits are benefits. doylerf
  • Score: 16

1:07am Wed 26 Mar 14

not too old to care says...

If your pay is not enough for your lifestyle and you can get a job that is, then change your job.
If no other job is available for you then make the best of what you have.
There are disabled people who rely on taxis to get them about.
There are children who rely on taxis to get them to and from school.
There are elderly folk who rely on taxis for shopping.
Have you considered that perhaps they pay what they can afford.
They certainly don't need bullying by you.
Striking today is nothing more than arrogant intimidation which affects the vulnerable most of all.

Stop whingeing and Grow up.
If your pay is not enough for your lifestyle and you can get a job that is, then change your job. If no other job is available for you then make the best of what you have. There are disabled people who rely on taxis to get them about. There are children who rely on taxis to get them to and from school. There are elderly folk who rely on taxis for shopping. Have you considered that perhaps they pay what they can afford. They certainly don't need bullying by you. Striking today is nothing more than arrogant intimidation which affects the vulnerable most of all. Stop whingeing and Grow up. not too old to care
  • Score: 17

5:02am Wed 26 Mar 14

the white witch says...

happycyclist wrote:
Hey, they're just a group of guys trying to earn a crust. Give them a break. They generally provide a decent service to the public and have to suffer all manner of idiots, drunks and thugs for pretty low earnings. I've certainly never met a rich taxi driver. Get off their case.
Does that mean that you agree with taxi drivers carrying swords to pull on people then ???? or leave a disabled child with the mother on the pavement in the rain because the child was poorly ???? so don`t state that taxi drivers are the innocent party dealing with bad people, plus fuel prices has dropped not risen ???,
Everyone wants to make a living but it`s the job they chose, we never told them to drive a taxi ??
[quote][p][bold]happycyclist[/bold] wrote: Hey, they're just a group of guys trying to earn a crust. Give them a break. They generally provide a decent service to the public and have to suffer all manner of idiots, drunks and thugs for pretty low earnings. I've certainly never met a rich taxi driver. Get off their case.[/p][/quote]Does that mean that you agree with taxi drivers carrying swords to pull on people then ???? or leave a disabled child with the mother on the pavement in the rain because the child was poorly ???? so don`t state that taxi drivers are the innocent party dealing with bad people, plus fuel prices has dropped not risen ???, Everyone wants to make a living but it`s the job they chose, we never told them to drive a taxi ?? the white witch
  • Score: 14

6:40am Wed 26 Mar 14

DoggydogNo1 says...

The cost of using a mobile phone has risen too guys while they are working!
The cost of using a mobile phone has risen too guys while they are working! DoggydogNo1
  • Score: 15

7:07am Wed 26 Mar 14

Just an observer says...

Perhaps if the taxis were SMOKE FREE SMELL INSIDE, people may not mind. they STINK of stale cigarette smoke, as the drivers still smoke in them. As for the fuel costs, most of them use supermarket garages or have accounts at other service stations which, give a discounted price for fuel. so don't play that card, insurance costs too. we all have that to bear, surprised you have not put running costs too like, tyres-services-need i mention more? so like us normal people, take it on the chin, we all have to.
Perhaps if the taxis were SMOKE FREE SMELL INSIDE, people may not mind. they STINK of stale cigarette smoke, as the drivers still smoke in them. As for the fuel costs, most of them use supermarket garages or have accounts at other service stations which, give a discounted price for fuel. so don't play that card, insurance costs too. we all have that to bear, surprised you have not put running costs too like, tyres-services-need i mention more? so like us normal people, take it on the chin, we all have to. Just an observer
  • Score: 15

7:23am Wed 26 Mar 14

Cimbri says...

Can't you just feel all the love for the taxi drivers here?
Can't you just feel all the love for the taxi drivers here? Cimbri
  • Score: 20

10:13am Wed 26 Mar 14

Simon44 says...

Just an observer wrote:
Perhaps if the taxis were SMOKE FREE SMELL INSIDE, people may not mind. they STINK of stale cigarette smoke, as the drivers still smoke in them. As for the fuel costs, most of them use supermarket garages or have accounts at other service stations which, give a discounted price for fuel. so don't play that card, insurance costs too. we all have that to bear, surprised you have not put running costs too like, tyres-services-need i mention more? so like us normal people, take it on the chin, we all have to.
You are talking rubbish.
[quote][p][bold]Just an observer[/bold] wrote: Perhaps if the taxis were SMOKE FREE SMELL INSIDE, people may not mind. they STINK of stale cigarette smoke, as the drivers still smoke in them. As for the fuel costs, most of them use supermarket garages or have accounts at other service stations which, give a discounted price for fuel. so don't play that card, insurance costs too. we all have that to bear, surprised you have not put running costs too like, tyres-services-need i mention more? so like us normal people, take it on the chin, we all have to.[/p][/quote]You are talking rubbish. Simon44
  • Score: -17

10:19am Wed 26 Mar 14

Simon44 says...

woodyads wrote:
Petrol prices are at their lowest for years! Robbing dogs!
Carry on with your strike taxi drivers, we won't miss you...
Petrol Prices are at All TIME low? Really?!!
[quote][p][bold]woodyads[/bold] wrote: Petrol prices are at their lowest for years! Robbing dogs! Carry on with your strike taxi drivers, we won't miss you...[/p][/quote]Petrol Prices are at All TIME low? Really?!! Simon44
  • Score: -36

10:25am Wed 26 Mar 14

Simon44 says...

Cimbri wrote:
No sympathy for any of them because when they were making good money, they opted to buy a bigger house, rather than buy a decent vehicle.
5th or 10th hand vehicles, of over c10 years of age, have already served their purposes and should not be allowed on the roads, as a matter of public safety.
The reason that your insurance rates have gone up is simply because of the condition of your vehicles, which requires 3 MoT style checks in a year. This is as a direct result of the numbers of them that are only fit for scrap, rather than only being driven at night, when the council examiners are not around.
We already have some of the most expensive taxi rates in the county and you want more, I think that you are terrified that you will have to attract customers, by giving them exactly what they want. A clean interior that doesn't smell of either the last meal or cigarette that you had, with your personal radio, turned off and arrives on time. When you pick up your fare, you don't start using either your phone, messenger or radio, while moving.
That you display the badge, certifying that you are the driver, not some brother or mate, so that customers know whom to complain about.
Rather than strike to raise rates, why not seek to reduce the exorbitant rates charged by proprietors, for use of their radio equipment, as I think you may get support for that, if the truth were known.

I fail to see why this council will not insist that all taxis are fitted with a sealed and calibrated meter, as this will stop all disputes over fares and rates. Not to mention that it can be used to assess the true earnings of any vehicle, for taxation purposes.
Taxi Fares in Blackburn are currently 4th cheapest in the country. Try ringing Chorley, Leyland, Preston for a comparison.
[quote][p][bold]Cimbri[/bold] wrote: No sympathy for any of them because when they were making good money, they opted to buy a bigger house, rather than buy a decent vehicle. 5th or 10th hand vehicles, of over c10 years of age, have already served their purposes and should not be allowed on the roads, as a matter of public safety. The reason that your insurance rates have gone up is simply because of the condition of your vehicles, which requires 3 MoT style checks in a year. This is as a direct result of the numbers of them that are only fit for scrap, rather than only being driven at night, when the council examiners are not around. We already have some of the most expensive taxi rates in the county and you want more, I think that you are terrified that you will have to attract customers, by giving them exactly what they want. A clean interior that doesn't smell of either the last meal or cigarette that you had, with your personal radio, turned off and arrives on time. When you pick up your fare, you don't start using either your phone, messenger or radio, while moving. That you display the badge, certifying that you are the driver, not some brother or mate, so that customers know whom to complain about. Rather than strike to raise rates, why not seek to reduce the exorbitant rates charged by proprietors, for use of their radio equipment, as I think you may get support for that, if the truth were known. I fail to see why this council will not insist that all taxis are fitted with a sealed and calibrated meter, as this will stop all disputes over fares and rates. Not to mention that it can be used to assess the true earnings of any vehicle, for taxation purposes.[/p][/quote]Taxi Fares in Blackburn are currently 4th cheapest in the country. Try ringing Chorley, Leyland, Preston for a comparison. Simon44
  • Score: -49

10:34am Wed 26 Mar 14

Simon44 says...

kojak1010 wrote:
Go on strike it might give others a decent chance who want a job that's decent money. Anyone who says it's not good money is a liar I've done the job and it was really good money! Just lazy people wanting more and more for basically doing! I heard it all first hand just greedy drivers grabbing all they can.
So, you drove a Taxi and it "was" good Money. You did NOT mention when? Hiding under an ID you can say what you please. I suppose you are a Banker now and on much better pay.
[quote][p][bold]kojak1010[/bold] wrote: Go on strike it might give others a decent chance who want a job that's decent money. Anyone who says it's not good money is a liar I've done the job and it was really good money! Just lazy people wanting more and more for basically doing! I heard it all first hand just greedy drivers grabbing all they can.[/p][/quote]So, you drove a Taxi and it "was" good Money. You did NOT mention when? Hiding under an ID you can say what you please. I suppose you are a Banker now and on much better pay. Simon44
  • Score: -29

10:38am Wed 26 Mar 14

Simon44 says...

easypeasy wrote:
Lurid67 wrote:
Passengers should boycott these stinking death traps, but go on strike cabbies we don't care
Totally agree they are death traps. The drivers have no road standards most of them have never heard of the Highway Code. They speed up & down with no consideration for road users or pedestrians, flouting the law in so many ways. How many I wonder have been allowed to pass an MOT with a backhander payment MOST OF THEM.
Giving back handers to get an MOT Pass? You should be careful what you say. Taxi MOT goes is tougher than an ordinary MOT.
[quote][p][bold]easypeasy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lurid67[/bold] wrote: Passengers should boycott these stinking death traps, but go on strike cabbies we don't care[/p][/quote]Totally agree they are death traps. The drivers have no road standards most of them have never heard of the Highway Code. They speed up & down with no consideration for road users or pedestrians, flouting the law in so many ways. How many I wonder have been allowed to pass an MOT with a backhander payment MOST OF THEM.[/p][/quote]Giving back handers to get an MOT Pass? You should be careful what you say. Taxi MOT goes is tougher than an ordinary MOT. Simon44
  • Score: -26

10:42am Wed 26 Mar 14

Simon44 says...

Cimbri wrote:
Can't you just feel all the love for the taxi drivers here?
No it is the love for our Asian brothers. Our lazy A*S boys would rather stay at home.
[quote][p][bold]Cimbri[/bold] wrote: Can't you just feel all the love for the taxi drivers here?[/p][/quote]No it is the love for our Asian brothers. Our lazy A*S boys would rather stay at home. Simon44
  • Score: -49

10:46am Wed 26 Mar 14

Simon44 says...

RoverTheHill wrote:
Aren't these the same people who a few weeks back were complaining that the Blackburn Town Centre is dying and needed reinvigorating? Good work lads, put your fares up, thats the way to bring people back to the town centre.

Idiots. There's a big reason a lot of people prefer to drink at home now, IT'S CHEAPER! Talk about nail in your own coffin.
Even if you are on Benefits, you would have seen an increase in your income over the last 7 years.
[quote][p][bold]RoverTheHill[/bold] wrote: Aren't these the same people who a few weeks back were complaining that the Blackburn Town Centre is dying and needed reinvigorating? Good work lads, put your fares up, thats the way to bring people back to the town centre. Idiots. There's a big reason a lot of people prefer to drink at home now, IT'S CHEAPER! Talk about nail in your own coffin.[/p][/quote]Even if you are on Benefits, you would have seen an increase in your income over the last 7 years. Simon44
  • Score: -56

11:00am Wed 26 Mar 14

Simon44 says...

I have driven a Taxi in Blackburn for 30 years. There is a mistake in the Telegraph article. The average Annual Insurance premium in Blackburn is around £2,300.
Taxis charged £2 for the first mile in the mid 90's. The reason for the recent cut in Fares was a mis calculted Marketing exercise by the City Taxis which - as we know - backfired.
A Full Time Taxi Driver in Blackburn works around 60 hours and the net take home pay is around £150 per week excluding major mechanical failures, i,e Engine, Gearbox or Clutch fails.
Anyone want a job?
I have driven a Taxi in Blackburn for 30 years. There is a mistake in the Telegraph article. The average Annual Insurance premium in Blackburn is around £2,300. Taxis charged £2 for the first mile in the mid 90's. The reason for the recent cut in Fares was a mis calculted Marketing exercise by the City Taxis which - as we know - backfired. A Full Time Taxi Driver in Blackburn works around 60 hours and the net take home pay is around £150 per week excluding major mechanical failures, i,e Engine, Gearbox or Clutch fails. Anyone want a job? Simon44
  • Score: -57

12:21pm Wed 26 Mar 14

Lancs - pensioner says...

Simon44 wrote:
I have driven a Taxi in Blackburn for 30 years. There is a mistake in the Telegraph article. The average Annual Insurance premium in Blackburn is around £2,300.
Taxis charged £2 for the first mile in the mid 90's. The reason for the recent cut in Fares was a mis calculted Marketing exercise by the City Taxis which - as we know - backfired.
A Full Time Taxi Driver in Blackburn works around 60 hours and the net take home pay is around £150 per week excluding major mechanical failures, i,e Engine, Gearbox or Clutch fails.
Anyone want a job?
Hi Simon the points you made are valid, it's why yours and my (use to be) insurance is so high, one of the main reasons is the crash for cash which was rife in the BB areas, on leaving Blackburn my insurance actually went down, you mate are paying for some body else's false claims.
Would I want to be a Taxi driver, no, some of the customers you have to pick up I wouldn't let in my car at any price.
[quote][p][bold]Simon44[/bold] wrote: I have driven a Taxi in Blackburn for 30 years. There is a mistake in the Telegraph article. The average Annual Insurance premium in Blackburn is around £2,300. Taxis charged £2 for the first mile in the mid 90's. The reason for the recent cut in Fares was a mis calculted Marketing exercise by the City Taxis which - as we know - backfired. A Full Time Taxi Driver in Blackburn works around 60 hours and the net take home pay is around £150 per week excluding major mechanical failures, i,e Engine, Gearbox or Clutch fails. Anyone want a job?[/p][/quote]Hi Simon the points you made are valid, it's why yours and my (use to be) insurance is so high, one of the main reasons is the crash for cash which was rife in the BB areas, on leaving Blackburn my insurance actually went down, you mate are paying for some body else's false claims. Would I want to be a Taxi driver, no, some of the customers you have to pick up I wouldn't let in my car at any price. Lancs - pensioner
  • Score: 48

7:06pm Wed 26 Mar 14

woodyads says...

Simon44 wrote:
woodyads wrote:
Petrol prices are at their lowest for years! Robbing dogs!
Carry on with your strike taxi drivers, we won't miss you...
Petrol Prices are at All TIME low? Really?!!
No, I don't think I said that Simon.
I said that petrol prices were at their lowest for years - they are currently at the 129p mark; a year ago they averaged 138p. The current price is reported to be the lowest price for 4 years. Absolutely no justification for taxi drivers quoting petrol prices rising as a reason for wanting to raise taxi fares.
[quote][p][bold]Simon44[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]woodyads[/bold] wrote: Petrol prices are at their lowest for years! Robbing dogs! Carry on with your strike taxi drivers, we won't miss you...[/p][/quote]Petrol Prices are at All TIME low? Really?!![/p][/quote]No, I don't think I said that Simon. I said that petrol prices were at their lowest for years - they are currently at the 129p mark; a year ago they averaged 138p. The current price is reported to be the lowest price for 4 years. Absolutely no justification for taxi drivers quoting petrol prices rising as a reason for wanting to raise taxi fares. woodyads
  • Score: 9

11:24pm Wed 26 Mar 14

Simon44 says...

woodyads wrote:
Simon44 wrote:
woodyads wrote:
Petrol prices are at their lowest for years! Robbing dogs!
Carry on with your strike taxi drivers, we won't miss you...
Petrol Prices are at All TIME low? Really?!!
No, I don't think I said that Simon.
I said that petrol prices were at their lowest for years - they are currently at the 129p mark; a year ago they averaged 138p. The current price is reported to be the lowest price for 4 years. Absolutely no justification for taxi drivers quoting petrol prices rising as a reason for wanting to raise taxi fares.
Dear woody,
If you visit www.ukpia.com , you can find the historical Fuel prices in the UK.
In 2007, one L of Petrol was 95 Pence and Diesel 97 Pence.
Checking my own records, my own Insurance with FULL NCD was £445. This year with FULL NCD and no points I paid just short of £2000. My mechanics hourly fees have doubled.
Looking forward to my retirement date and absolute poverty.
[quote][p][bold]woodyads[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Simon44[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]woodyads[/bold] wrote: Petrol prices are at their lowest for years! Robbing dogs! Carry on with your strike taxi drivers, we won't miss you...[/p][/quote]Petrol Prices are at All TIME low? Really?!![/p][/quote]No, I don't think I said that Simon. I said that petrol prices were at their lowest for years - they are currently at the 129p mark; a year ago they averaged 138p. The current price is reported to be the lowest price for 4 years. Absolutely no justification for taxi drivers quoting petrol prices rising as a reason for wanting to raise taxi fares.[/p][/quote]Dear woody, If you visit www.ukpia.com , you can find the historical Fuel prices in the UK. In 2007, one L of Petrol was 95 Pence and Diesel 97 Pence. Checking my own records, my own Insurance with FULL NCD was £445. This year with FULL NCD and no points I paid just short of £2000. My mechanics hourly fees have doubled. Looking forward to my retirement date and absolute poverty. Simon44
  • Score: -59

4:53am Thu 27 Mar 14

mazgujjar10 says...

Hi guys I can confirm I am one of the taxi drivers who went on strike on Friday,our taxis are NOT DEATH TRAPS the MOT is done by the council who are very strict and DO NOT TAKE BACKHANDERS every 6 months and the fee for that is £63.50 and if it fails it is another 33.50 retest fee.The insurance on average is £2500,which is not our fault nor do we crash our cars for cash like some idiots are suggesting.We also have to pay the taxi firm radio rent and have to pay licensing fees,maintenance costs,road tax,our fares last went up in 2008 so think of everything that has GONE UP since then.We all work long hours 6 days a week and especially the lads that work nights have to deal the drunk abusive customers,after paying our overheads we average £3.50 to £4.00 an hour and if there was other jobs available out there I can assure you a lot of us would gladly quit our jobs,all you out there on benefits are probably better off than us.All our genuine and regular have been supporting us through this and I again would like thank them.I can also tell you driving long hours can be uncomfortable that's why we dress casually and we certainly don't have the clients to dress formally in blackburn nor do we get paid enough to do that,I think it fair to say everyone deserves a pay rise every couple of years if not every year and also taxis in blackburn are the cheapest around just look at taxi prices in Preston,Chorley,****
heroe
Hi guys I can confirm I am one of the taxi drivers who went on strike on Friday,our taxis are NOT DEATH TRAPS the MOT is done by the council who are very strict and DO NOT TAKE BACKHANDERS every 6 months and the fee for that is £63.50 and if it fails it is another 33.50 retest fee.The insurance on average is £2500,which is not our fault nor do we crash our cars for cash like some idiots are suggesting.We also have to pay the taxi firm radio rent and have to pay licensing fees,maintenance costs,road tax,our fares last went up in 2008 so think of everything that has GONE UP since then.We all work long hours 6 days a week and especially the lads that work nights have to deal the drunk abusive customers,after paying our overheads we average £3.50 to £4.00 an hour and if there was other jobs available out there I can assure you a lot of us would gladly quit our jobs,all you out there on benefits are probably better off than us.All our genuine and regular have been supporting us through this and I again would like thank them.I can also tell you driving long hours can be uncomfortable that's why we dress casually and we certainly don't have the clients to dress formally in blackburn nor do we get paid enough to do that,I think it fair to say everyone deserves a pay rise every couple of years if not every year and also taxis in blackburn are the cheapest around just look at taxi prices in Preston,Chorley,**** heroe mazgujjar10
  • Score: -64

5:01am Thu 27 Mar 14

mazgujjar10 says...

woodyads wrote:
Simon44 wrote:
woodyads wrote:
Petrol prices are at their lowest for years! Robbing dogs!
Carry on with your strike taxi drivers, we won't miss you...
Petrol Prices are at All TIME low? Really?!!
No, I don't think I said that Simon.
I said that petrol prices were at their lowest for years - they are currently at the 129p mark; a year ago they averaged 138p. The current price is reported to be the lowest price for 4 years. Absolutely no justification for taxi drivers quoting petrol prices rising as a reason for wanting to raise taxi fares.
Not just fuel prices pal but cost of living in general and especially insurance and maintenance costs
[quote][p][bold]woodyads[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Simon44[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]woodyads[/bold] wrote: Petrol prices are at their lowest for years! Robbing dogs! Carry on with your strike taxi drivers, we won't miss you...[/p][/quote]Petrol Prices are at All TIME low? Really?!![/p][/quote]No, I don't think I said that Simon. I said that petrol prices were at their lowest for years - they are currently at the 129p mark; a year ago they averaged 138p. The current price is reported to be the lowest price for 4 years. Absolutely no justification for taxi drivers quoting petrol prices rising as a reason for wanting to raise taxi fares.[/p][/quote]Not just fuel prices pal but cost of living in general and especially insurance and maintenance costs mazgujjar10
  • Score: -52

5:07am Thu 27 Mar 14

mazgujjar10 says...

Simon44 wrote:
Cimbri wrote:
No sympathy for any of them because when they were making good money, they opted to buy a bigger house, rather than buy a decent vehicle.
5th or 10th hand vehicles, of over c10 years of age, have already served their purposes and should not be allowed on the roads, as a matter of public safety.
The reason that your insurance rates have gone up is simply because of the condition of your vehicles, which requires 3 MoT style checks in a year. This is as a direct result of the numbers of them that are only fit for scrap, rather than only being driven at night, when the council examiners are not around.
We already have some of the most expensive taxi rates in the county and you want more, I think that you are terrified that you will have to attract customers, by giving them exactly what they want. A clean interior that doesn't smell of either the last meal or cigarette that you had, with your personal radio, turned off and arrives on time. When you pick up your fare, you don't start using either your phone, messenger or radio, while moving.
That you display the badge, certifying that you are the driver, not some brother or mate, so that customers know whom to complain about.
Rather than strike to raise rates, why not seek to reduce the exorbitant rates charged by proprietors, for use of their radio equipment, as I think you may get support for that, if the truth were known.

I fail to see why this council will not insist that all taxis are fitted with a sealed and calibrated meter, as this will stop all disputes over fares and rates. Not to mention that it can be used to assess the true earnings of any vehicle, for taxation purposes.
Taxi Fares in Blackburn are currently 4th cheapest in the country. Try ringing Chorley, Leyland, Preston for a comparison.
Do you even know what you're talking about blackburn taxis are the cheapest in the country NOT THE DEAREST,try getting a taxi back from Preston ,Chorley or clitheroe
[quote][p][bold]Simon44[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cimbri[/bold] wrote: No sympathy for any of them because when they were making good money, they opted to buy a bigger house, rather than buy a decent vehicle. 5th or 10th hand vehicles, of over c10 years of age, have already served their purposes and should not be allowed on the roads, as a matter of public safety. The reason that your insurance rates have gone up is simply because of the condition of your vehicles, which requires 3 MoT style checks in a year. This is as a direct result of the numbers of them that are only fit for scrap, rather than only being driven at night, when the council examiners are not around. We already have some of the most expensive taxi rates in the county and you want more, I think that you are terrified that you will have to attract customers, by giving them exactly what they want. A clean interior that doesn't smell of either the last meal or cigarette that you had, with your personal radio, turned off and arrives on time. When you pick up your fare, you don't start using either your phone, messenger or radio, while moving. That you display the badge, certifying that you are the driver, not some brother or mate, so that customers know whom to complain about. Rather than strike to raise rates, why not seek to reduce the exorbitant rates charged by proprietors, for use of their radio equipment, as I think you may get support for that, if the truth were known. I fail to see why this council will not insist that all taxis are fitted with a sealed and calibrated meter, as this will stop all disputes over fares and rates. Not to mention that it can be used to assess the true earnings of any vehicle, for taxation purposes.[/p][/quote]Taxi Fares in Blackburn are currently 4th cheapest in the country. Try ringing Chorley, Leyland, Preston for a comparison.[/p][/quote]Do you even know what you're talking about blackburn taxis are the cheapest in the country NOT THE DEAREST,try getting a taxi back from Preston ,Chorley or clitheroe mazgujjar10
  • Score: -23

6:35am Thu 27 Mar 14

b18ftmojo5 says...

Makes me laugh to think all this hoo haa about taxi drivers stricking...do you think they enjoyed losing more money. I work at a taxi base in the town centre and believe me when I tell you they are not making a fortune, more so they are usually struggling to survive. Like the guy said earlier one breakdown is all it takes for you to miss a mortgage payment or if someone thrown something at your car, happened twice last week. The driver pays for this, which would be fine if he was earning the same as he was 15 years ago when Blackburn was busy and had a few clubs and pubs still open. The truth is the town centre is dead, if there boss thinks by going back to prices from 1990 he can build business, he should realise his drivers or any drivers wont sacrifice there profits to build his business. Amen to common sense. Have to totally agree with the taxi driver who commented about rising expenses...hello to those who disagree...did you miss the rising inflation???
Makes me laugh to think all this hoo haa about taxi drivers stricking...do you think they enjoyed losing more money. I work at a taxi base in the town centre and believe me when I tell you they are not making a fortune, more so they are usually struggling to survive. Like the guy said earlier one breakdown is all it takes for you to miss a mortgage payment or if someone thrown something at your car, happened twice last week. The driver pays for this, which would be fine if he was earning the same as he was 15 years ago when Blackburn was busy and had a few clubs and pubs still open. The truth is the town centre is dead, if there boss thinks by going back to prices from 1990 he can build business, he should realise his drivers or any drivers wont sacrifice there profits to build his business. Amen to common sense. Have to totally agree with the taxi driver who commented about rising expenses...hello to those who disagree...did you miss the rising inflation??? b18ftmojo5
  • Score: -57

1:28pm Thu 27 Mar 14

woolywords says...

Simon44 wrote:
RoverTheHill wrote:
Aren't these the same people who a few weeks back were complaining that the Blackburn Town Centre is dying and needed reinvigorating? Good work lads, put your fares up, thats the way to bring people back to the town centre.

Idiots. There's a big reason a lot of people prefer to drink at home now, IT'S CHEAPER! Talk about nail in your own coffin.
Even if you are on Benefits, you would have seen an increase in your income over the last 7 years.
You have to face the fact that, the town centre has declined, with pubs and clubs closing, the same numbers of drivers are chasing fewer fares. You have a surplus of drivers and it's time for some of them to go. Only the better ones will survive and that it the way of the world.

In one of your answers, you claim that Blackburn was the 4th cheapest place in the UK for taxi fares. Care to share where you got this info from, because I asked Chairman Younis and he had never heard that before?
[quote][p][bold]Simon44[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]RoverTheHill[/bold] wrote: Aren't these the same people who a few weeks back were complaining that the Blackburn Town Centre is dying and needed reinvigorating? Good work lads, put your fares up, thats the way to bring people back to the town centre. Idiots. There's a big reason a lot of people prefer to drink at home now, IT'S CHEAPER! Talk about nail in your own coffin.[/p][/quote]Even if you are on Benefits, you would have seen an increase in your income over the last 7 years.[/p][/quote]You have to face the fact that, the town centre has declined, with pubs and clubs closing, the same numbers of drivers are chasing fewer fares. You have a surplus of drivers and it's time for some of them to go. Only the better ones will survive and that it the way of the world. In one of your answers, you claim that Blackburn was the 4th cheapest place in the UK for taxi fares. Care to share where you got this info from, because I asked Chairman Younis and he had never heard that before? woolywords
  • Score: 3

2:47pm Thu 27 Mar 14

Simon44 says...

woolywords wrote:
Simon44 wrote:
RoverTheHill wrote:
Aren't these the same people who a few weeks back were complaining that the Blackburn Town Centre is dying and needed reinvigorating? Good work lads, put your fares up, thats the way to bring people back to the town centre.

Idiots. There's a big reason a lot of people prefer to drink at home now, IT'S CHEAPER! Talk about nail in your own coffin.
Even if you are on Benefits, you would have seen an increase in your income over the last 7 years.
You have to face the fact that, the town centre has declined, with pubs and clubs closing, the same numbers of drivers are chasing fewer fares. You have a surplus of drivers and it's time for some of them to go. Only the better ones will survive and that it the way of the world.

In one of your answers, you claim that Blackburn was the 4th cheapest place in the UK for taxi fares. Care to share where you got this info from, because I asked Chairman Younis and he had never heard that before?
1 - Chairman Younis should take the time and read the " Private Hire " publication which is issued free of charge. These figures are published occasionally. I have not invented them.

2 - Yes, due to decrease in demand and our changing culture, there are too many drivers in Blackburn. However, Blackburn Council will issue another 1000 Taxi badges tomorrow if 1000 applicants turn up. They make money and could not care less. The Taxi Proprietors - with one or two exceptions - are just the same. They have kept the Fares low with total disregard for the welfare of their drivers. They just want the phones to ring.
I must admit, I have noted one or two unclean Taxis in my time, but not that many. I assume it is the direct result of cash flow. Every one has to eat first and pay the bills. Car wash and a valet in these circumstance becomes a luxury.

I hope I have been able to clarify the issues for you. If you are still not satisfied, I would be willing to pay for your Taxi badge. You can try it out for yourself.
[quote][p][bold]woolywords[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Simon44[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]RoverTheHill[/bold] wrote: Aren't these the same people who a few weeks back were complaining that the Blackburn Town Centre is dying and needed reinvigorating? Good work lads, put your fares up, thats the way to bring people back to the town centre. Idiots. There's a big reason a lot of people prefer to drink at home now, IT'S CHEAPER! Talk about nail in your own coffin.[/p][/quote]Even if you are on Benefits, you would have seen an increase in your income over the last 7 years.[/p][/quote]You have to face the fact that, the town centre has declined, with pubs and clubs closing, the same numbers of drivers are chasing fewer fares. You have a surplus of drivers and it's time for some of them to go. Only the better ones will survive and that it the way of the world. In one of your answers, you claim that Blackburn was the 4th cheapest place in the UK for taxi fares. Care to share where you got this info from, because I asked Chairman Younis and he had never heard that before?[/p][/quote]1 - Chairman Younis should take the time and read the " Private Hire " publication which is issued free of charge. These figures are published occasionally. I have not invented them. 2 - Yes, due to decrease in demand and our changing culture, there are too many drivers in Blackburn. However, Blackburn Council will issue another 1000 Taxi badges tomorrow if 1000 applicants turn up. They make money and could not care less. The Taxi Proprietors - with one or two exceptions - are just the same. They have kept the Fares low with total disregard for the welfare of their drivers. They just want the phones to ring. I must admit, I have noted one or two unclean Taxis in my time, but not that many. I assume it is the direct result of cash flow. Every one has to eat first and pay the bills. Car wash and a valet in these circumstance becomes a luxury. I hope I have been able to clarify the issues for you. If you are still not satisfied, I would be willing to pay for your Taxi badge. You can try it out for yourself. Simon44
  • Score: -27

7:02am Fri 28 Mar 14

kingbilly says...

blackburnangel999 wrote:
despite your negativity about the taxi drivers I can guarantee that's its all you people who use the taxi service of Blackburn regularly! At least they're not on benefits like you lot and actually get up in the morning to earn an honest living, and as for death traps, you idiot people the council carries out the MOT for all taxis every 4, 6 or 12 months depending on age of car so blame your council if the cars are death traps, not the cabbies!!!
and u cant afford to drink in pubs because the govt keeps increasing duty on booze and supermarkets sell cheaper booze, not because of taxi fares being excessive or taxis not being safe to travel in!
Earn an honest living,so they pay tax do they,not in a million years,neither do any of the takeaways,they just know how to fiddle,i go to bootstrap job hunting,maybe you will see one asian,at bootstrap,maybe they all work,or maybe they all claim benifits
[quote][p][bold]blackburnangel999[/bold] wrote: despite your negativity about the taxi drivers I can guarantee that's its all you people who use the taxi service of Blackburn regularly! At least they're not on benefits like you lot and actually get up in the morning to earn an honest living, and as for death traps, you idiot people the council carries out the MOT for all taxis every 4, 6 or 12 months depending on age of car so blame your council if the cars are death traps, not the cabbies!!! and u cant afford to drink in pubs because the govt keeps increasing duty on booze and supermarkets sell cheaper booze, not because of taxi fares being excessive or taxis not being safe to travel in![/p][/quote]Earn an honest living,so they pay tax do they,not in a million years,neither do any of the takeaways,they just know how to fiddle,i go to bootstrap job hunting,maybe you will see one asian,at bootstrap,maybe they all work,or maybe they all claim benifits kingbilly
  • Score: 55

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree