Cannabis farm found in Burnley ex-funeral parlour

Police at the back of the premises

Police at the back of the premises

First published in News
Last updated
Lancashire Telegraph: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter

A CANNABIS farm has been discovered inside a former funeral directors in Burnley.

Around 40 individual plants were found growing on both floors at the former J Kendall and Sons Funeral Directors, in Briercliffe Road.

The plants were discovered after neighbours could smell cannabis coming through the wall.

MORE TOP STORIES:

Fire crews gained access to the building on Wednesday at around 10pm before police carried out a search.

No arrests have been made and the drugs have been removed.

It is believed the funeral directors closed around 18 months ago and has been empty since.

Florist shop Daisy Chain reported the smell of cannabis to police on February 11 and the report was passed to the neighbourhood police team to be investigated ahead of seaching the building.

Gareth Morris, manager of nearby shop Burnley Cycle Centre, said: “It’s not good that this has been going on so close to this business.

“This shop has been here 34 years.

“And I don’t think there has been a case like this so close to us before.

“It just to be quite a bad problem in this area of the town and it peaked around three or four years ago.

“I thought it had been getting better and you heard less and less about drugs raids along the street.

“This has come a bit out of the blue and it’s good that the drugs have now been confiscated.”

Steve Ellis, 60, a former postman who lives in the street, said: “I’ve been here 29 years.

“And I can’t remember a drugs raid so close to my home before.

“It’s concerning that it’s only a stone’s throw away from my front door."

Resident Douglas Rose, 67, said: “It’s a terrible thing to be happening so close to my home and it worries me.

“We have a problem around here with empty shops being derelict for a long time.

“And are potentially easy targets for people who want to grow drugs.”

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:12am Fri 28 Feb 14

TONY WALES says...

Police if they wanted to could easily use dogs to check houses and area's where they suspect people are growing cannabis.
Also machines can be used to check.
If people can smell it I am quite sure dogs with their keen sense of smell will work even better.
But it requires work, and who wants to give themselves any work, if you get paid the same .......work or not?
Police if they wanted to could easily use dogs to check houses and area's where they suspect people are growing cannabis. Also machines can be used to check. If people can smell it I am quite sure dogs with their keen sense of smell will work even better. But it requires work, and who wants to give themselves any work, if you get paid the same .......work or not? TONY WALES
  • Score: -7

10:31am Fri 28 Feb 14

Trinitylad says...

Surely someone has seen the growers going in and out of the property ???
Surely someone has seen the growers going in and out of the property ??? Trinitylad
  • Score: -3

10:38am Fri 28 Feb 14

Izanears says...

Empty properties, particularly large buildings should be checked regularly.
They can be done easily, either on foot or, because they generate a lot heat, from the air. Simples.
Empty properties, particularly large buildings should be checked regularly. They can be done easily, either on foot or, because they generate a lot heat, from the air. Simples. Izanears
  • Score: -1

11:06am Fri 28 Feb 14

Meerkat.com says...

TONY WALES wrote:
Police if they wanted to could easily use dogs to check houses and area's where they suspect people are growing cannabis.
Also machines can be used to check.
If people can smell it I am quite sure dogs with their keen sense of smell will work even better.
But it requires work, and who wants to give themselves any work, if you get paid the same .......work or not?
Who would be paying for all these pointless searches after all the cutts to the police forces? Most cannabis growers have fans with filters that neutralise smells before they leave the building, so you would probably only catch people doing a couple for personal use.
I agree with people over the age of 21 using cannabis via vapourisors or cakes etc but smoking its not gonna be reight good for you, I also strongly agree that cannabis has got lots medical uses (which have actually been proven but the big drug companies wont tell you that because they are making to much money on tablets etc!)
Making it legal could be a catastrophe through big drug dealers turning back to selling heroin & crack etc because they cant make money on weed. Just saying like :)
[quote][p][bold]TONY WALES[/bold] wrote: Police if they wanted to could easily use dogs to check houses and area's where they suspect people are growing cannabis. Also machines can be used to check. If people can smell it I am quite sure dogs with their keen sense of smell will work even better. But it requires work, and who wants to give themselves any work, if you get paid the same .......work or not?[/p][/quote]Who would be paying for all these pointless searches after all the cutts to the police forces? Most cannabis growers have fans with filters that neutralise smells before they leave the building, so you would probably only catch people doing a couple for personal use. I agree with people over the age of 21 using cannabis via vapourisors or cakes etc but smoking its not gonna be reight good for you, I also strongly agree that cannabis has got lots medical uses (which have actually been proven but the big drug companies wont tell you that because they are making to much money on tablets etc!) Making it legal could be a catastrophe through big drug dealers turning back to selling heroin & crack etc because they cant make money on weed. Just saying like :) Meerkat.com
  • Score: 10

12:29pm Fri 28 Feb 14

TONY WALES says...

Meerkat.com wrote:
TONY WALES wrote:
Police if they wanted to could easily use dogs to check houses and area's where they suspect people are growing cannabis.
Also machines can be used to check.
If people can smell it I am quite sure dogs with their keen sense of smell will work even better.
But it requires work, and who wants to give themselves any work, if you get paid the same .......work or not?
Who would be paying for all these pointless searches after all the cutts to the police forces? Most cannabis growers have fans with filters that neutralise smells before they leave the building, so you would probably only catch people doing a couple for personal use.
I agree with people over the age of 21 using cannabis via vapourisors or cakes etc but smoking its not gonna be reight good for you, I also strongly agree that cannabis has got lots medical uses (which have actually been proven but the big drug companies wont tell you that because they are making to much money on tablets etc!)
Making it legal could be a catastrophe through big drug dealers turning back to selling heroin & crack etc because they cant make money on weed. Just saying like :)
Sounds like you forgot to switch on the fans here mate????
[quote][p][bold]Meerkat.com[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]TONY WALES[/bold] wrote: Police if they wanted to could easily use dogs to check houses and area's where they suspect people are growing cannabis. Also machines can be used to check. If people can smell it I am quite sure dogs with their keen sense of smell will work even better. But it requires work, and who wants to give themselves any work, if you get paid the same .......work or not?[/p][/quote]Who would be paying for all these pointless searches after all the cutts to the police forces? Most cannabis growers have fans with filters that neutralise smells before they leave the building, so you would probably only catch people doing a couple for personal use. I agree with people over the age of 21 using cannabis via vapourisors or cakes etc but smoking its not gonna be reight good for you, I also strongly agree that cannabis has got lots medical uses (which have actually been proven but the big drug companies wont tell you that because they are making to much money on tablets etc!) Making it legal could be a catastrophe through big drug dealers turning back to selling heroin & crack etc because they cant make money on weed. Just saying like :)[/p][/quote]Sounds like you forgot to switch on the fans here mate???? TONY WALES
  • Score: -5

12:32pm Fri 28 Feb 14

Meerkat.com says...

TONY WALES wrote:
Meerkat.com wrote:
TONY WALES wrote:
Police if they wanted to could easily use dogs to check houses and area's where they suspect people are growing cannabis.
Also machines can be used to check.
If people can smell it I am quite sure dogs with their keen sense of smell will work even better.
But it requires work, and who wants to give themselves any work, if you get paid the same .......work or not?
Who would be paying for all these pointless searches after all the cutts to the police forces? Most cannabis growers have fans with filters that neutralise smells before they leave the building, so you would probably only catch people doing a couple for personal use.
I agree with people over the age of 21 using cannabis via vapourisors or cakes etc but smoking its not gonna be reight good for you, I also strongly agree that cannabis has got lots medical uses (which have actually been proven but the big drug companies wont tell you that because they are making to much money on tablets etc!)
Making it legal could be a catastrophe through big drug dealers turning back to selling heroin & crack etc because they cant make money on weed. Just saying like :)
Sounds like you forgot to switch on the fans here mate????
Me ? Oh no no no, I would never make the mistake of being anywhere near burnley ! :)
[quote][p][bold]TONY WALES[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Meerkat.com[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]TONY WALES[/bold] wrote: Police if they wanted to could easily use dogs to check houses and area's where they suspect people are growing cannabis. Also machines can be used to check. If people can smell it I am quite sure dogs with their keen sense of smell will work even better. But it requires work, and who wants to give themselves any work, if you get paid the same .......work or not?[/p][/quote]Who would be paying for all these pointless searches after all the cutts to the police forces? Most cannabis growers have fans with filters that neutralise smells before they leave the building, so you would probably only catch people doing a couple for personal use. I agree with people over the age of 21 using cannabis via vapourisors or cakes etc but smoking its not gonna be reight good for you, I also strongly agree that cannabis has got lots medical uses (which have actually been proven but the big drug companies wont tell you that because they are making to much money on tablets etc!) Making it legal could be a catastrophe through big drug dealers turning back to selling heroin & crack etc because they cant make money on weed. Just saying like :)[/p][/quote]Sounds like you forgot to switch on the fans here mate????[/p][/quote]Me ? Oh no no no, I would never make the mistake of being anywhere near burnley ! :) Meerkat.com
  • Score: -1

2:51pm Fri 28 Feb 14

Colne, lass says...

If the goverment were able to profit on taxes from cannabis being sold legally it would have been made legal a long long time ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lets face it is a quick easy way to make some cash!!!! I have to say i tend to agree with meercat.com comments. Its a never ending circle that will never be resolved and potentially will only get worse!! I think the police should focus more on serious crimes, such as people being robbed on the street, and accidents for cash!!!!!!!!!
If the goverment were able to profit on taxes from cannabis being sold legally it would have been made legal a long long time ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lets face it is a quick easy way to make some cash!!!! I have to say i tend to agree with meercat.com comments. Its a never ending circle that will never be resolved and potentially will only get worse!! I think the police should focus more on serious crimes, such as people being robbed on the street, and accidents for cash!!!!!!!!! Colne, lass
  • Score: 5

6:06pm Fri 28 Feb 14

Steven Seagull says...

TONY WALES wrote:
Police if they wanted to could easily use dogs to check houses and area's where they suspect people are growing cannabis.
Also machines can be used to check.
If people can smell it I am quite sure dogs with their keen sense of smell will work even better.
But it requires work, and who wants to give themselves any work, if you get paid the same .......work or not?
You're more than a bit of a tosspiece aren't you?
[quote][p][bold]TONY WALES[/bold] wrote: Police if they wanted to could easily use dogs to check houses and area's where they suspect people are growing cannabis. Also machines can be used to check. If people can smell it I am quite sure dogs with their keen sense of smell will work even better. But it requires work, and who wants to give themselves any work, if you get paid the same .......work or not?[/p][/quote]You're more than a bit of a tosspiece aren't you? Steven Seagull
  • Score: 2

7:58am Sat 1 Mar 14

Meerkat.com says...

Colne, lass wrote:
If the goverment were able to profit on taxes from cannabis being sold legally it would have been made legal a long long time ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lets face it is a quick easy way to make some cash!!!! I have to say i tend to agree with meercat.com comments. Its a never ending circle that will never be resolved and potentially will only get worse!! I think the police should focus more on serious crimes, such as people being robbed on the street, and accidents for cash!!!!!!!!!
To be honest, the goverment could very easily make cannabis a useful, taxable income but apart from the fact most people think you have to smoke it to use it, it could give kids the wrong idea, In the way of "oh well if doctors are prescribing it then it cant be that bad!", and then theres the whole "gateway drug" which I have looked into for over 15 years and think is complete tripe! And as I mentioned in an earlier post I dont think people should use cannabis for recreational until they have matured a little and let their bodys grow, as I quite strongly feel cannabis slows the maturing process in young people.
But of course one of the benefits would be the crime rate, it would go down plus the police force wouldnt be spending on hours and hours of cannabis busts, arrests, paperwork, training, dog training (obviously dogs would be trained for other thing but just cannabis on its own can be a very slow process) etc etc. And the tax payer wouldn't be paying for quite as many prisoners.
On another note diazipam/nitrazipam/
tamazipam etc are all class C I think and controlled but also prescribed? (Dunno if I spelt thatem right. :-)
[quote][p][bold]Colne, lass[/bold] wrote: If the goverment were able to profit on taxes from cannabis being sold legally it would have been made legal a long long time ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lets face it is a quick easy way to make some cash!!!! I have to say i tend to agree with meercat.com comments. Its a never ending circle that will never be resolved and potentially will only get worse!! I think the police should focus more on serious crimes, such as people being robbed on the street, and accidents for cash!!!!!!!!![/p][/quote]To be honest, the goverment could very easily make cannabis a useful, taxable income but apart from the fact most people think you have to smoke it to use it, it could give kids the wrong idea, In the way of "oh well if doctors are prescribing it then it cant be that bad!", and then theres the whole "gateway drug" which I have looked into for over 15 years and think is complete tripe! And as I mentioned in an earlier post I dont think people should use cannabis for recreational until they have matured a little and let their bodys grow, as I quite strongly feel cannabis slows the maturing process in young people. But of course one of the benefits would be the crime rate, it would go down plus the police force wouldnt be spending on hours and hours of cannabis busts, arrests, paperwork, training, dog training (obviously dogs would be trained for other thing but just cannabis on its own can be a very slow process) etc etc. And the tax payer wouldn't be paying for quite as many prisoners. On another note diazipam/nitrazipam/ tamazipam etc are all class C I think and controlled but also prescribed? (Dunno if I spelt thatem right. :-) Meerkat.com
  • Score: 1

8:06am Sat 1 Mar 14

Meerkat.com says...

I also agree with your comment too colne lass, although I doubt its quite as quick or easy as people may think, ive im right in thinking, it can take between 11 & 20 possobly more weeks for the turnaround and the start up fee could be enough to put some people off.
I also agree with your comment too colne lass, although I doubt its quite as quick or easy as people may think, ive im right in thinking, it can take between 11 & 20 possobly more weeks for the turnaround and the start up fee could be enough to put some people off. Meerkat.com
  • Score: 0

8:59am Sat 1 Mar 14

BURNLEYITE40 says...

legalise it for a few yrs jobs would be taken up in a breath by TEENAGERS.the tax would pull the country out of debt via the tax.yes it has side effects but if ppl r going to smoke it then theyll go to dealers instead,take the dealer out and sell it in shops.amsterdam made it legal then i believe theyv just re made it illegal....they probs used it to get out of debt and get ppl into WORK
#TEENAGERS WOULD WANT TO WORK IF THEY COULD WORK IN A CANNABIS FACTORY
legalise it for a few yrs jobs would be taken up in a breath by TEENAGERS.the tax would pull the country out of debt via the tax.yes it has side effects but if ppl r going to smoke it then theyll go to dealers instead,take the dealer out and sell it in shops.amsterdam made it legal then i believe theyv just re made it illegal....they probs used it to get out of debt and get ppl into WORK #TEENAGERS WOULD WANT TO WORK IF THEY COULD WORK IN A CANNABIS FACTORY BURNLEYITE40
  • Score: 0

9:47am Sat 1 Mar 14

Meerkat.com says...

HOLLAND de-criminilised it but theres was/is still a massive black market, plus police/judges turned a blind eye, which didnt help Amsterdam become the drugs capital of the world which in effect attracted good and bad tourism. This lacksadaisic attitude now means every what, 20 steps you take in amsterdam/rotterdam you have atleast 2 people asking if you want crack/coke/heroin/ex
tasy? In the centres of course. Which also means taking children to one or two of them most beautiful artistic etc places in europe.
Cannabis legalisation is a massive vicious circle and grey area and I for dont blame the goverment for not being able to make up its mind, (just for the record this is possibly the only thing I dont blame the goverment for!) :-)
HOLLAND de-criminilised it but theres was/is still a massive black market, plus police/judges turned a blind eye, which didnt help Amsterdam become the drugs capital of the world which in effect attracted good and bad tourism. This lacksadaisic attitude now means every what, 20 steps you take in amsterdam/rotterdam you have atleast 2 people asking if you want crack/coke/heroin/ex tasy? In the centres of course. Which also means taking children to one or two of them most beautiful artistic etc places in europe. Cannabis legalisation is a massive vicious circle and grey area and I for dont blame the goverment for not being able to make up its mind, (just for the record this is possibly the only thing I dont blame the goverment for!) :-) Meerkat.com
  • Score: 0

8:15pm Sat 1 Mar 14

BURNLEYITE40 says...

but you get a certain sorta sick group that sell to usual female schoolies then ply them with drugs and then,well,you know the rest u read telegraph enuf to know what i mean
but you get a certain sorta sick group that sell to usual female schoolies then ply them with drugs and then,well,you know the rest u read telegraph enuf to know what i mean BURNLEYITE40
  • Score: 0

4:05am Sun 2 Mar 14

Rumpole says...

The UK is going to keep wasting money raiding cannabis growers while Uruguay has completely legalised it, individual states in the US have made it legal, Holland, Spain, Portugal are all looking at allowing people to grow, sell and use cannabis without the threat of being made a criminal if they are caught and people there are following the rules established without any major problems, so why not here?

If people were legally allowed to grow, sell, or use cannabis then they wouldn't have to go to organised criminal dealers for it that can introduce them to harder drugs or criminal activity to obtain their supply, the police could then concentrate their efforts on catching the dealers of harder drugs.

I've seen more lives ruined through the use of alcohol than I believe I ever will from cannabis users, maybes it is time for a massive rethink by the government, the taxable income from legalised cannabis is being fed into the world of organised crime and costing us ten times more in prohibition and we wonder why the economy is in such a mess.
The UK is going to keep wasting money raiding cannabis growers while Uruguay has completely legalised it, individual states in the US have made it legal, Holland, Spain, Portugal are all looking at allowing people to grow, sell and use cannabis without the threat of being made a criminal if they are caught and people there are following the rules established without any major problems, so why not here? If people were legally allowed to grow, sell, or use cannabis then they wouldn't have to go to organised criminal dealers for it that can introduce them to harder drugs or criminal activity to obtain their supply, the police could then concentrate their efforts on catching the dealers of harder drugs. I've seen more lives ruined through the use of alcohol than I believe I ever will from cannabis users, maybes it is time for a massive rethink by the government, the taxable income from legalised cannabis is being fed into the world of organised crime and costing us ten times more in prohibition and we wonder why the economy is in such a mess. Rumpole
  • Score: -1

10:15am Mon 3 Mar 14

Dr Martin says...

Rumpole wrote:
The UK is going to keep wasting money raiding cannabis growers while Uruguay has completely legalised it, individual states in the US have made it legal, Holland, Spain, Portugal are all looking at allowing people to grow, sell and use cannabis without the threat of being made a criminal if they are caught and people there are following the rules established without any major problems, so why not here?

If people were legally allowed to grow, sell, or use cannabis then they wouldn't have to go to organised criminal dealers for it that can introduce them to harder drugs or criminal activity to obtain their supply, the police could then concentrate their efforts on catching the dealers of harder drugs.

I've seen more lives ruined through the use of alcohol than I believe I ever will from cannabis users, maybes it is time for a massive rethink by the government, the taxable income from legalised cannabis is being fed into the world of organised crime and costing us ten times more in prohibition and we wonder why the economy is in such a mess.
Stoners will not pay tax on weed when they can get it tax free
[quote][p][bold]Rumpole[/bold] wrote: The UK is going to keep wasting money raiding cannabis growers while Uruguay has completely legalised it, individual states in the US have made it legal, Holland, Spain, Portugal are all looking at allowing people to grow, sell and use cannabis without the threat of being made a criminal if they are caught and people there are following the rules established without any major problems, so why not here? If people were legally allowed to grow, sell, or use cannabis then they wouldn't have to go to organised criminal dealers for it that can introduce them to harder drugs or criminal activity to obtain their supply, the police could then concentrate their efforts on catching the dealers of harder drugs. I've seen more lives ruined through the use of alcohol than I believe I ever will from cannabis users, maybes it is time for a massive rethink by the government, the taxable income from legalised cannabis is being fed into the world of organised crime and costing us ten times more in prohibition and we wonder why the economy is in such a mess.[/p][/quote]Stoners will not pay tax on weed when they can get it tax free Dr Martin
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree