PARENTS left heartbroken by the death of their ‘lovely and cheeky’ little boy are channelling their efforts into preventing further deaths from the cond-ition which killed him.

Adorable eight-year-old Aaron Dearden, from Ramsbottom, suffered a fatal asthma attack last April.

His parents Rachel Turner, 31, and Colin Dearden, 37, are determined no- one else should suffer the same fate, and are fundraising for charity Asthma UK.

Rachel and Colin spoke of the space in their lives ‘where Aaron should be’ as the first anniversary of his death approaches.

Aaron had just been named Star of the Week at Peel Brow Primary School, and had been to see the head three times in a day for his excellent work.

But two days later, on Sunday, April 28, he had an asthma attack at his home, in Poplar Grove. Despite efforts to save Aaron, it is believed the attack triggered a cardiac arrest, and he died at Fairfield Hospital later that morning.

Aaron, who has an 11-year-old brother Charlie, and sister Millie, six, was diag-nosed with chronic asthma at the age of two, and had previously stayed in hosp-ital after asthma attacks.

Rachel and Colin, now of Lime Grove, hope to hold an annual summer funday, in support of Asthma UK, to increase training and impr-ove research.

Colin said: “We do not want anybody to go through what we have been through and wish no child, or adult, would die from an asthma attack.

“I don’t think a lot of people realise how serious asthma can be, or what to do in an emergency – and a little bit of training could save a life.

“That’s what the big plan is on behalf of the little man.”

Aaron was so passionate about his role as lodge leader with the 2nd Ramsbottom (St Paul with St John’s) Beavers he was buried in his uniform, with his cap by his side.

At his funeral, at St John’s Church, in Shuttleworth, members of his Beaver colony formed a guard of honour, and sang at the service, alongside Peel Brow Primary pupils.

On the morning of April 28, Aaron had gone into his mum Rachel’s bedroom struggling to breathe.

After she took him down-stairs to try and give him his inhaler, he collapsed in her arms. Aaron’s brother Charlie called the ambulance, ass-isted Rachel with first aid, and ran next door to get the neighbours, who were already on their way after hearing shouting.

Rachel said: “Charlie did his best to save his little brother, and couldn’t have done anything else.

Colin said: “Charlie went from boy to man that day. We are so proud of him.”

After paramedics arrived, they worked on Aaron in the ambulance before he was transported to hospital, with Rachel travelling in a car behind. Meanwhile, police spent several hours search-ing for Colin, who had been staying with a friend, to tell him the news.

Colin said: “I still do not understand. He was on fire the day before, on top Aaron form. He was so full of life, so lovely and cheeky. I would like to thank the police offic-ers who told me – they were like two rocks at either side of me.

“They said it was the hard- est job they had ever had to do.”

Rachel said: “There is a space in our lives. We just miss him, and Charlie and Millie miss their brother so much.”