A former gift emporium could be the next eating place to open along Colne’s rejuvenated main road.
Nicholas Richardson has unveiled proposals to overhaul the former Tubbs of Colne premises, at the corner of Albert Road and Princess Street, into a restaurant.
The family business, which also specialised in jewellery, closed in 2008 after nearly 120 years.
But in common with several other premises, the former police station building has become a prime target for redevelopment.
Mr Richardson, of Colne Road, Trawden, has submitted plans to Pendle Council to demolish a pitched roof to the rear of the building.
And in its place there would be two new extensions, alongside a new access door and steel staircase for flats on the upper floor.
The front patio would also be levelled, a ramp installed for access and the low-level wall would have steel barriers with glass inserts fitted.
Five full-time and 10 part-time posts would be created, according to planning agent Sam Richardson, of Wheatley Lane Road based Frank Belshaw Surveyors.
The Green Chimney cafe bar and The Venue, in the former Conservative Club, are both recent additions to the town's nightlife.
And work is also under way to renovate the ground floor of the post office building, which has been home to Mexican and Italian restaurants in recent years, ahead of an anticipated reopening under new ownership.
Sarah Lee, who runs La Dolce Vita in Albert Road, said: “It would be great to see another restaurant, especially with the work going on at the Old Post Office.”
Charles Tubbs established his giftware shop further in Albert Road in 1890 and his family retained a connection with the business until 1976.