A PENSIONER’S life was saved by his smoke alarm after a cushion placed too close to a gas fire set alight.
Two engines from Blackburn fire station were called to a house in Brownhill Road at 3.30am today after receiving reports of a smoke alarm.
When they arrived, they could see the man through the front window sat on the floor with the lounge and hallway becoming smoke-logged.
Crew manager Lee Cook said: “The front door was unlocked and as we entered the building it was apparent the elderly man was in a state of distress.
“The fire involved a cushion from a sofa that had been placed too near a gas fire that was switched on.
“The man was visually impaired and appeared to have been moving items around his lounge area, unaware that the cushion was in close proximity too the fire.”
Fire crews were on the scene for half an hour and gave oxygen to the man, who was taken to Royal Blackburn Hospital as a precaution due to his age.
Crew manager Cook said: “Once again a smoke alarm has saved the life of this individual.
“A working smoke alarm will give an early warning of smoke in a property, without it valuable seconds can be lost.”