A LORRY driver who deliberately smeared excrement on two women has been barred from a Ramsbottom pub.

Mark Follos, 51, had denied the allegations, but was found guilty of two charges of outraging public decency after a trial at Bury Magistrates’ Court.

The court heard that Follos smeared excrement on women on two separate occasions, at The Oaks pub, in Bridge Street, on October 12 and 25, 2012.

Follos was arrested around a year later after a CCTV image was circulated through a Pubwatch scheme in Ramsbottom.

The first victim, on October 12, 2012, told the court she initially thought Follos may have been rubb-ing drugs on her arm. The woman said: “He came up to me from behind, and I was facing the door.

“He spoke briefly. He did a movement as if drying his hands on my arm.

“I realised what it was on my arm. It was poo. I looked at it, I touched it and smelled my hand.”

When asked how she felt when she realised what had happened, the woman, who was in tears in the witness box, said: “I thought I must have upset someone.”

The court heard that on October 25, 2012, the second victim found a ‘four- inch smear” on her arm.

She told the court: “This man just came and took hold of my arm and said can I get you a drink. I said ‘no thank you, we have alr-eady got one’.

“Then he left and that is when I could smell something, so I thought his hand maybe wasn’t that clean.”

The court heard that Follos, of St Annes Road, Wolverhampton, worked as a lorry driver and regularly travelled between Scotland and Ramsbottom.

He would park up and then go into Ramsbottom centre for a drink before he started his shift again the following day.

Follos denied that the first incident was deliberate, and said he did not have any recollection of the second incident.

Being questioned on the first incident, Follos said: “Do I look the sort of person that goes around wiping mess on people?

“I went to the toilet, and on my way out I must have picked something up from somewhere which got on my hand.

“I was in a bit of a rush and I hadn’t washed my hands.

“I went out of the toilet and continued to the exit of the pub.

“There were a number of ladies in the pub on that night and, as an act of courtesy I touched one and said goodnight, have a nice night, and exited the pub. As simple as that.”

After Follos was convicted, defending solicitor Mr James Daly described the incident as ‘moments of madness’ on Follos’ part.

Follos was ordered to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work, pay costs of £1,010, and was also barred from the pub for a year.