A 25-YEAR-OLD man has been sent to prison for his part in a mass brawl in an Accrington street.
Wahid Hussain, of Richmond Road, Accrington, was yesterday jailed for two months after being part of a gang that was involved in the ‘cowardly attack’ in Victoria Street.
An 18-year-old man needed hospital treatment for injuries he suffered during the assault, at around 9.30pm on February 4 last year, near the Mike Tyson gym.
Hussain pleaded guilty to a section four public order offence, which caused fear or provocation of violence, as well as assault by beating.
Zahid Hussain, 23, of the same address, pleaded guilty at Burnley Crown Court to the same public order offence and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
He will be sentenced on January 30 alongside Accrington men Daoud Rafiq, 18, of Pendle Street, Waqar Younis, 25, of Nuttall Street, Zohib Rafiq, 25, of Willows Lane, and Soaib Khan, 23, of Fountain Street. They all admitted a charge of causing fear or provocation of violence.
Speaking after the hearing, Det Con John Banks said: “I am pleased these men have admitted the part they played in this cowardly and unprovoked attack in full view of the public.
“Those who behave in this manner will be brought before the courts and punished for their actions.”
Coun Claire Pritchard, deputy leader of Hyndburn Council, said: “Obviously this is something that we take very seriously because it is a matter of community safety.
“I am very glad that this issue has been cleared up by the police.
“We have had a lot of support from the police to deal with a lot of nasty incidents in Accrington and it is reassuring to everybody that they and the courts take this with the utmost seriousness.”