When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
1,000 homes plan for clitheroe set for go ahead
1:00pm Sunday 8th December 2013 in News
THE biggest planning application in the history of the Ribble valley could be given the go ahead on Thursday.
More than 1,000 new homes could be built for the Standen estate, which would be situated between Clitheroe and the A59 bypass.
The proposal was submitted to the borough council in October 2012 by the Trustees of the Standen Estate and the council will vote on the plans on Thursday.
The plans include 728 ‘market’ homes and 312 ‘affordable’ homes, a total of 156 of which would be for people aged over 55.
Land would also be reserved for retail, service and communities services, with further space being used for a new primary school.
Council offciers have recommended that the application is passed by councillors subject to further work and the director of community services approving.
Coun Terry Hill, the planning committee chairman, said that he expected a large crowd to attend the meeting in the Council Chambers in Church Street.
New pedestrian and cycle routes could be built if the plans are approved along with children play areas.
The council’s core strategy, which sets out how many homes can be built in the borough by 2028, is due to be examined by the government in January.
Clitheroe Town councillor, Kevin Horkin, said: “I do not believe that Clitheroe currently has the infrastructure to be able to cope with such a huge influx of people if these houses are built.
“It will dramatically change the character of the town and until we see plans that would help the town deal with this new potential development I do not think that the town would cope.
“It would be a better idea to have these houses shared out proportionally across the borough instead of having them all in one place.
“That would reduce the impact on one location and its infrastructure.”
A decision on a further 345 houses at the Waddow View site in the town is due in January after an appeal was conducted recently.
Plans for 140 homes off Henthorn Road were approved by the borough council last month.
Pauline Wood, chairman of the Clitheroe Civic Society, said: “The society has carefully examined this application and has concluded that, on many counts, it is totally opposed to this development.
“This application seeks ‘an extension’ to Clitheroe which is totally unsustainable and unacceptable without destroying the existing ancient settlement of Clitheroe as a small town.”
Comments are closed on this article.