Burnley house evacuated after electrical fire

Lancashire Telegraph: The house in Penistone Street The house in Penistone Street

A WOMAN in her 60s and her son had to evacuate their home when an electrical fire started in the living room without warning.

The woman had been watching TV at her home in Penistone Street, Burnley, when she heard bangs and saw sparks flying from the electricity meter.

The lights and the TV went off and smoke engulfed the living room.

But the woman’s son, who was upstairs at the time, managed to guide her to safety before fire crews arrived.

Firefighters were called to the mid-terrace house at around 7.50pm on Monday to put out the flames, which had spread to the window and curtains.

The remainder of the property was heavily smokelogged, according to firefighters.

Crew manager Kieron Ogden said a second crew later arrived on the scene from Padiham station, as a precautionary measure, as it was initially unclear whether anyone was left remaining in the property.

Paramedics also attended the scene from the North West Ambulance Service and the woman received precautionary checks.

The mother and son had to spend the night with friends and engineers were also drafted in from the utility companies to ensure that electricity and gas supplies could be made safe.


Comments are closed on this article.


About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree