When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Nelson man cleared of girl rapes
11:33am Monday 30th September 2013 in News
A 32-YEAR-old man has been cleared of repeatedly raping and sexually assaulting a girl, but has been convicted of violence towards her.
Asif Iqbal, of Smith Street, Nelson, was found not guilty of five charges of rape and seven allegations of sexual activity with a child, after a four-day trial at Burnley Crown Court.
The defendant had denied all the allegations against him and told the jury they did not happen.
Iqbal was found guilty of one offence relating to violence. The victim had told police that the defendant had punched and slapped her.
The jury had been told how when Iqbal was arrested and interviewed over the girl's claims in April last year, he had denied any of the alleged events had taken place. He has been bailed until November 4 for sentencing.
Comments are closed on this article.