When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Rossendale woman features on list of bizarre requests to councils
A ROSSENDALE resident who asked for help with her TV signal has featured in a list of bizarre queries faced by council staff.
The woman turned to Rossendale Council for assistance having already contacted the police and fire service, the Local Government Association (LGA) said.
Other unusual requests to councils included recipe tips, a ban on internet and a caller who asked if they could keep a crocodile in their back garden.
The LGA, which represents more than 370 councils in England and Wales, said the mixture of serious and trivial calls highlighted the importance of local councils to taxpayers.
Coun Peter Fleming, chair of the LGA’s improvement and innovation board, said: “These light-hearted examples show the wide range of issues council staff deal with each day. Councils literally have to be ready for anything from the serious to the mundane and sometimes even mind-boggling.
“Councils try to help callers with support and advice as much as they possibly can. While the vast majority of calls fall within the bounds of councils’ usual responsibilities, there are occasions when call handlers are left baffled.
“The fact that councils are so often the first port of call for residents who are seeking a solution to their problems shows just how central a role councils play in the lives of their communities.
“While councils offer more than 800 local services, some requests really are beyond them.”
Council customer service centres handle more than 50 million calls each year.
- Are there any regulations on keeping a crocodile in my back garden? (Reigate and Banstead borough council)
- Can you teach me how to use a chainsaw? (Chelmsford Borough Council)
- Do you know where I could get an old bath that I could fill with custard? (London Borough of Sutton Council)
- Can you send a pest control officer to remove a frog from the bottom of the communal stairs in my block of flats? (Crawley Borough Council)
- Am I allowed to bury my horse in my back garden? (Warwickshire County Council)
- How can I get permission to pitch a tent on the central reservation of the A35 trunk road? (Derby City Council)
- How do you make a marinade to put on my barbecue steaks? (Newark and Sherwood District Council)
- A lady rang to say she couldn't get any reception on her TV. She'd already contacted the police and the fire brigade but they couldn't help, so she called the council (Rossendale Borough Council)
- Can you remove all porn from the internet? (Westminster City Council)
Comments are closed on this article.