When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Neighbours save home and dog in fire drama
A BURNLEY mother-of-two whose kitchen caught fire while she was out has praised her neighbours after they alerted firefighters.
Wendy Chapman, 30, had taken her daughters to a circus at Turf Moor when neighbours heard the smoke alarm go off at her Holcombe Drive home.
Fire crews arrived within a minute and forced entry to rescue her Staffordshire terrier, Lenny.
Ms Chapman said she was grateful to next-door neighbour Alan Roberts, who alerted firefighters after hearing a smoke alarm and spotting smoke caused by a pan left on the cooker hob.
She said: “I can’t thank Alan and the rest of the neighbours enough."
Two engines from Burnley fire station spent over an hour at the scene from 7.50pm on Friday.
Crew manager, Alan Ashworth, said: "The dog was brought out to fresh air and made a full recovery.
“This fire was discovered very early on because there was a smoke alarm in the property, which alerted the neighbour.
“Smoke alarms not only save lives but they significantly reduce the amount of damage due to the early warning of the fire.”
>>For the full story and pictures, see Monday's Lancashire Telegraph
Comments are closed on this article.