When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Inspectors highlight failings at Padiham care home
9:00pm Saturday 24th August 2013 in News
A CARE home was found to be failing two essential standards during an inspection by a health watchdog.
Inspectors raised concerns about the ‘limited activities’ for residents at Windsor Care Home in Queen Street, Padiham which included ‘wandering around the home’ for one person, and ‘sitting in the lounge with feet up’ for another.
The Care Quality Commission (CQC), which received an anonymous tip-off, said in its report: “Both these activities are passive and did not engage the person in a meaningful way.
“It is important for people with dementia to be actively engaged in their lives and have a good level of interaction with the staff.”
The inspectors also pointed to the level of supervision offered to residents during early mornings, when two people had suffered falls, as well as gaps in the bath records.
Reports of two residents having ‘unexplained bruising’ had not been reported to the social services safeguarding team, they added.
The home’s owner, who declined to give her name, said: “We are doing our best to rectify any problems. We’ve had a good reputation over the years and we were fully compliant during an inspection in May.
“The residents here do something every single afternoon and we try really hard with the activities, but if someone doesn’t want to join in it’s their choice.”
According to the CQC, which also made several positive comments about the home, Mrs Sharon Han is responsible for Windsor Care Home Limited, which owns the facility.
Meanwhile, inspectors have returned to the Victoria Residential Home, a former hospital in Thursby Road, Burnley, after rats were discovered in the cellar.
After raising concerns about the home’s food and care plans last month, the CQC was alerted to a broken sewer pipe and ‘vermin in the cellar’ by Burnley Council. The CQC is now happy the issue has been resolved, but said the home should have notified them of the problem.
Manager Catherine Metcalfe, of Matta Care Group, which runs the home, said the company had inherited a host of problems with the ‘historic building’, but was completing a major refurbishment.
There were problems with the previous pest control service, so a new company was brought in, she added.