FILES released today by the Ministry of Defence show that UFOs were said to have been spotted over Haslingden.
The declassified records also reveal that the Ministry of Defence closed its 'UFO desk' in 2009 because it served 'no defence purpose' and was ‘taking staff away from'more valuable defence-related activities’.
The 25 files, which include a massive 4,400 pages, detail accounts of alleged abductions and contact with aliens and UFO sightings in the UK, as well as documentation of the decision to close the UFO desk.
One of the files reveals that a man reported seeing nine bright orange lights flying silently in a diamond formation over Haslingden.
The man was walking his dog at around midnight on Sunday January 4, 2009, when he at first noticed a bright solid orange light through some trees. He thought it was an aircraft but it was too low. He then observed eight more lights flying in a diamond formation over the Scout Moor windfarm towards Rochdale. He said there was no noise and no flashing aircraft lights.
The UFO spotter wrote: “At this point, I was stood with the dog, motionless thinking what the hell I was looking at.”
He said a couple in a nearby house also looked out of their window and watched the mysterious orbs.
The man, who is not named in the report, wrote to the MOD, but they were unable to confirm any other reported sightings in the area.
A reply from the RAF High Wycombe said: “The MOD does not have any expertise or role in respect of ‘UFO/ flying saucer’ matters.”
Gary Heseltine, a retired detective constable in the British Transport Police, said there were many sightings across the Pennines over the years.
He said: “There have been lots of sightings over Lancashire, especially close to the West Yorkshire border. Without having seen these objects myself it is difficult to make any real but observation, but this report is very interesting.
“The fact that the objects moved vertically, made no noise, and moved into a formation rules out Chinese lanterns or planes.”
- Were you the man who reported the UFOs? Call us on 01254 298205.
UFO reports made to Lancashire Police over the past few years:
- May 16, 2009: A caller believed she had seen a UFO when she kept seeing bright lights in Padiham.
- Dec 31, 2009: Police received reports of five flying saucers in the sky in Burnley.
- May 21, 2010: In Barnoldswick, there was a report of three red lights hovering in the sky before flying off in three directions at very high speeds.
- July 24, 2010: In Blackburn, there was a report of ‘two lights following each other in the sky, moving slowly and drifting’. It was suggested that these could be Chinese lanterns.
- Dec 26, 2010: Aliens were reported to have been seen in the sky coming out of woods in Church. Police and the fire service attended but it is believed the lights were from a Chinese lantern.