When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Accrington homes left without power after electricity box fire
7:00pm Sunday 3rd March 2013 in News
MORE than 170 homes were left without power yesterday when an electricity junction box exploded.
Startled residents said it sounded like 'fireworks going off' when the pillar box burst into flames in Balmoral Road, Accrington, at 3.25am on Saturday.
Firefighters were called out after they received reports of intense flames, explosions and flashes of light streaking into the sky.
Crews were able to get the fire under control using powder extinguishers, however it took several hours for engineers from Electricity North West to cut off power to the box and make the scene safe.
Power was eventually restored at 5pm.