Police hunt poachers after deer is savaged by dogs near Read

First published in News

A SUSPECTED poacher is being hunted after dogs were seen savaging two deer in a field.

The deer at Dunkirk Farm, in Whalley Road, Read, were said to be so badly savaged that they had to be destroyed.

Police believe a walker, who spoke to someone from the farm, saw at least part of the incident which happened around 1.30pm on Sunday. He left shortly afterwards.

An investigation has been launched by Sgt Craig Jarrett and Pc Justin Brown, of Ribble Valley police, and other witnesses are being urged to come forward.

Sgt Jarrett said: “This witness apparently saw the attack taking place, so we would like him to come forward and tell us what he saw.”

The constabulary’s wildlife officer has also been informed about the incident, which is the second attack on deer in the area in a matter of weeks.

Two sika deer were attacked by dogs at Dockber Laithe Farm in Sawley recently, with wildlife officer saying that they had been gutted and hidden, apparently ready to be collected and transported away.

Wildllife officers say there has been a ‘spike’ in suspected deer poaching incident in East Lancashire over the past few months.

Restaurants and market traders locally have been urged to report any suspicious offers of cheap venison to the authorities.

Police said the Read poachers were both around six feet tall, one had dark hair and one had fair hair, with one wearing a tracksuit and the other a grey hoodie.

Witnesses to the latest incident are asked to call Sgt Jarrett or Pc Brown on 01200 458752.

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:23am Sat 2 Feb 13

shytalk says...

I would prefer cheap venison than halal chicken from some of the well known high street outlets
I would prefer cheap venison than halal chicken from some of the well known high street outlets shytalk
  • Score: 0

11:09am Sat 2 Feb 13

JohnR1 says...

shytalk wrote:
I would prefer cheap venison than halal chicken from some of the well known high street outlets
Cheap (ie poached) Venison carries a very serious risk of getting Liver Flukes (a type of worm). All deer killed legally have to be inspected bby a qualified person to ascertain the animal is not infected. So good luck with your cheap meat!
[quote][p][bold]shytalk[/bold] wrote: I would prefer cheap venison than halal chicken from some of the well known high street outlets[/p][/quote]Cheap (ie poached) Venison carries a very serious risk of getting Liver Flukes (a type of worm). All deer killed legally have to be inspected bby a qualified person to ascertain the animal is not infected. So good luck with your cheap meat! JohnR1
  • Score: 0

1:28pm Sat 2 Feb 13

sen c ble says...

shytalk wrote:
I would prefer cheap venison than halal chicken from some of the well known high street outlets
Don't choke yourself swallowing will you now, and watch out for that Creutzfeldt-Jakob and I see you around in 12 months!
[quote][p][bold]shytalk[/bold] wrote: I would prefer cheap venison than halal chicken from some of the well known high street outlets[/p][/quote]Don't choke yourself swallowing will you now, and watch out for that Creutzfeldt-Jakob and I see you around in 12 months! sen c ble
  • Score: 0

2:01pm Sat 2 Feb 13

shytalk says...

JohnR1 wrote:
shytalk wrote:
I would prefer cheap venison than halal chicken from some of the well known high street outlets
Cheap (ie poached) Venison carries a very serious risk of getting Liver Flukes (a type of worm). All deer killed legally have to be inspected bby a qualified person to ascertain the animal is not infected. So good luck with your cheap meat!
Cooked properly its fine, and as for se c ble's comment Creutzfeldt-jakobs desease has never been found in British venison.
have a look at this JohnR1 and see what you think..http://www.eu
roparl.europa.eu/sid
es/getDoc.do?pubRef=
-//EP//TEXT+WQ+E-201
2-000029+0+DOC+XML+V
0//EN
[quote][p][bold]JohnR1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]shytalk[/bold] wrote: I would prefer cheap venison than halal chicken from some of the well known high street outlets[/p][/quote]Cheap (ie poached) Venison carries a very serious risk of getting Liver Flukes (a type of worm). All deer killed legally have to be inspected bby a qualified person to ascertain the animal is not infected. So good luck with your cheap meat![/p][/quote]Cooked properly its fine, and as for se c ble's comment Creutzfeldt-jakobs desease has never been found in British venison. have a look at this JohnR1 and see what you think..http://www.eu roparl.europa.eu/sid es/getDoc.do?pubRef= -//EP//TEXT+WQ+E-201 2-000029+0+DOC+XML+V 0//EN shytalk
  • Score: 0

5:38pm Sat 2 Feb 13

goz says...

Good luck to em, we've been hunting in this country for thousands of years and long may it continue....!!!!
Good luck to em, we've been hunting in this country for thousands of years and long may it continue....!!!! goz
  • Score: 0

9:13pm Sat 2 Feb 13

UKIP-Ron says...

what do they expect with this goverments cutbacks.. people need to eat or starve simple as that.
what do they expect with this goverments cutbacks.. people need to eat or starve simple as that. UKIP-Ron
  • Score: 0

6:33am Sun 3 Feb 13

Fire Fly says...

goz wrote:
Good luck to em, we've been hunting in this country for thousands of years and long may it continue....!!!!
The articles about poaching not hunting.
[quote][p][bold]goz[/bold] wrote: Good luck to em, we've been hunting in this country for thousands of years and long may it continue....!!!![/p][/quote]The articles about poaching not hunting. Fire Fly
  • Score: 0

12:56pm Sun 3 Feb 13

goz says...

Fire Fly wrote:
goz wrote:
Good luck to em, we've been hunting in this country for thousands of years and long may it continue....!!!!
The articles about poaching not hunting.
Oh sorry, my mistake !! What were they doing then painting and decorating deer ???
[quote][p][bold]Fire Fly[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]goz[/bold] wrote: Good luck to em, we've been hunting in this country for thousands of years and long may it continue....!!!![/p][/quote]The articles about poaching not hunting.[/p][/quote]Oh sorry, my mistake !! What were they doing then painting and decorating deer ??? goz
  • Score: 0

3:11pm Sun 3 Feb 13

ghost of sceptic says...

Shame none of the comments above were concerned at the suffering these animals were going through as they were mauled to death. However it does give me a clear picture of yourslves. enjoy your cheap meat and carefull not to choke on it.
Shame none of the comments above were concerned at the suffering these animals were going through as they were mauled to death. However it does give me a clear picture of yourslves. enjoy your cheap meat and carefull not to choke on it. ghost of sceptic
  • Score: 0

9:08pm Sun 3 Feb 13

goz says...

ghost of sceptic wrote:
Shame none of the comments above were concerned at the suffering these animals were going through as they were mauled to death. However it does give me a clear picture of yourslves. enjoy your cheap meat and carefull not to choke on it.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz, come the days food is to expensive to buy, then I know who's family will be starving !!!
[quote][p][bold]ghost of sceptic[/bold] wrote: Shame none of the comments above were concerned at the suffering these animals were going through as they were mauled to death. However it does give me a clear picture of yourslves. enjoy your cheap meat and carefull not to choke on it.[/p][/quote]Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz, come the days food is to expensive to buy, then I know who's family will be starving !!! goz
  • Score: 0

9:10pm Sun 3 Feb 13

sen c ble says...

goz wrote:
ghost of sceptic wrote:
Shame none of the comments above were concerned at the suffering these animals were going through as they were mauled to death. However it does give me a clear picture of yourslves. enjoy your cheap meat and carefull not to choke on it.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz, come the days food is to expensive to buy, then I know who's family will be starving !!!
Can't rule out cannibalism!
[quote][p][bold]goz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ghost of sceptic[/bold] wrote: Shame none of the comments above were concerned at the suffering these animals were going through as they were mauled to death. However it does give me a clear picture of yourslves. enjoy your cheap meat and carefull not to choke on it.[/p][/quote]Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz, come the days food is to expensive to buy, then I know who's family will be starving !!![/p][/quote]Can't rule out cannibalism! sen c ble
  • Score: 0

6:57am Mon 4 Feb 13

lancs1985 says...

goz wrote:
Good luck to em, we've been hunting in this country for thousands of years and long may it continue....!!!!
Are you total thick, that isn't hunting you plank that's just cruelty at its highest,

I go hunting but send dogs onto deer, use a gun instead of watching a dog savage it you fool, not to many dogs out there what can instantly do a deer in 1,

I'm all for using dogs but this is just mindless idiots n if I catch um round my area again they will seriously no about it
[quote][p][bold]goz[/bold] wrote: Good luck to em, we've been hunting in this country for thousands of years and long may it continue....!!!![/p][/quote]Are you total thick, that isn't hunting you plank that's just cruelty at its highest, I go hunting but send dogs onto deer, use a gun instead of watching a dog savage it you fool, not to many dogs out there what can instantly do a deer in 1, I'm all for using dogs but this is just mindless idiots n if I catch um round my area again they will seriously no about it lancs1985
  • Score: 0

1:27pm Mon 4 Feb 13

shytalk says...

A hare from the hill and a bird from the mountain.
A beast from the wood and a fish from the fountain.
All taken by stealth and me blessings am countin
With my young dog.
Gun. rod and line.
They all take their chances and i do take mine...
A hare from the hill and a bird from the mountain. A beast from the wood and a fish from the fountain. All taken by stealth and me blessings am countin With my young dog. Gun. rod and line. They all take their chances and i do take mine... shytalk
  • Score: 0

8:03am Tue 5 Feb 13

goz says...

lancs1985 wrote:
goz wrote:
Good luck to em, we've been hunting in this country for thousands of years and long may it continue....!!!!
Are you total thick, that isn't hunting you plank that's just cruelty at its highest,

I go hunting but send dogs onto deer, use a gun instead of watching a dog savage it you fool, not to many dogs out there what can instantly do a deer in 1,

I'm all for using dogs but this is just mindless idiots n if I catch um round my area again they will seriously no about it
Your comment leaves me in no doubt that although you may go shooting you know little about working dogs. I have been there and done both and given the choice of gun or dog, dog would kill cleaner everytime. You ever been with anyone who can't hit a barn door yet can qualify for a FAC and go out shooting wildlife indiscriminately.
Once listened to an experienced man tell all that its better to shoot a deers leg out and stop it running than go for the heart shot, now thats cruel,at least against a dog it has a 50/50 chance.
[quote][p][bold]lancs1985[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]goz[/bold] wrote: Good luck to em, we've been hunting in this country for thousands of years and long may it continue....!!!![/p][/quote]Are you total thick, that isn't hunting you plank that's just cruelty at its highest, I go hunting but send dogs onto deer, use a gun instead of watching a dog savage it you fool, not to many dogs out there what can instantly do a deer in 1, I'm all for using dogs but this is just mindless idiots n if I catch um round my area again they will seriously no about it[/p][/quote]Your comment leaves me in no doubt that although you may go shooting you know little about working dogs. I have been there and done both and given the choice of gun or dog, dog would kill cleaner everytime. You ever been with anyone who can't hit a barn door yet can qualify for a FAC and go out shooting wildlife indiscriminately. Once listened to an experienced man tell all that its better to shoot a deers leg out and stop it running than go for the heart shot, now thats cruel,at least against a dog it has a 50/50 chance. goz
  • Score: 1

9:46am Fri 8 Feb 13

lancs1985 says...

goz wrote:
lancs1985 wrote:
goz wrote:
Good luck to em, we've been hunting in this country for thousands of years and long may it continue....!!!!
Are you total thick, that isn't hunting you plank that's just cruelty at its highest,

I go hunting but send dogs onto deer, use a gun instead of watching a dog savage it you fool, not to many dogs out there what can instantly do a deer in 1,

I'm all for using dogs but this is just mindless idiots n if I catch um round my area again they will seriously no about it
Your comment leaves me in no doubt that although you may go shooting you know little about working dogs. I have been there and done both and given the choice of gun or dog, dog would kill cleaner everytime. You ever been with anyone who can't hit a barn door yet can qualify for a FAC and go out shooting wildlife indiscriminately.
Once listened to an experienced man tell all that its better to shoot a deers leg out and stop it running than go for the heart shot, now thats cruel,at least against a dog it has a 50/50 chance.
ow shut up you clown is quite obiviouse you think a dog can hit the brain quicker than a bullet, are you for reel???

its illegal aswell to being any such thing as this because a dog cant instantly kill a deer like a bullet does, a dog has to drag it down ect, then for these idiots, if i catch um round here again il pull a bullet on um straight to police n let the book be thrown at them, cause its seriousely bang out of order n gets other folk bad names cause of mindless pillocks like this

dont tell me youde go for a deer slip dog onto it then not kill it n leave it to rome around till its dead, just cruelty they didnt even folllow the deer to see were it would drop so they had no intension to hunt just a mindless act of cruelty NO ONE CAN BACK THESE CLOWNS UP, N TRUE HUNTERS WOULD SHOOT THE LADS OR SHOP UM TO COPPERS ASWELL
[quote][p][bold]goz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]lancs1985[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]goz[/bold] wrote: Good luck to em, we've been hunting in this country for thousands of years and long may it continue....!!!![/p][/quote]Are you total thick, that isn't hunting you plank that's just cruelty at its highest, I go hunting but send dogs onto deer, use a gun instead of watching a dog savage it you fool, not to many dogs out there what can instantly do a deer in 1, I'm all for using dogs but this is just mindless idiots n if I catch um round my area again they will seriously no about it[/p][/quote]Your comment leaves me in no doubt that although you may go shooting you know little about working dogs. I have been there and done both and given the choice of gun or dog, dog would kill cleaner everytime. You ever been with anyone who can't hit a barn door yet can qualify for a FAC and go out shooting wildlife indiscriminately. Once listened to an experienced man tell all that its better to shoot a deers leg out and stop it running than go for the heart shot, now thats cruel,at least against a dog it has a 50/50 chance.[/p][/quote]ow shut up you clown is quite obiviouse you think a dog can hit the brain quicker than a bullet, are you for reel??? its illegal aswell to being any such thing as this because a dog cant instantly kill a deer like a bullet does, a dog has to drag it down ect, then for these idiots, if i catch um round here again il pull a bullet on um straight to police n let the book be thrown at them, cause its seriousely bang out of order n gets other folk bad names cause of mindless pillocks like this dont tell me youde go for a deer slip dog onto it then not kill it n leave it to rome around till its dead, just cruelty they didnt even folllow the deer to see were it would drop so they had no intension to hunt just a mindless act of cruelty NO ONE CAN BACK THESE CLOWNS UP, N TRUE HUNTERS WOULD SHOOT THE LADS OR SHOP UM TO COPPERS ASWELL lancs1985
  • Score: -2

11:43pm Wed 20 Feb 13

goz says...

You don't half talk some utter tripe, head shot ??? You know nothing about shooting either. You take your dsc 1 or dsc 2 and go for a head shot and you will look a right ****. Go to Scotland and take a trip out on the deer and go for the headshot and every ghillie would throw you off their estate you daft tit. Your an anti and making a pigs ear of pretending to be a hunter....halfwit !!!
You don't half talk some utter tripe, head shot ??? You know nothing about shooting either. You take your dsc 1 or dsc 2 and go for a head shot and you will look a right ****. Go to Scotland and take a trip out on the deer and go for the headshot and every ghillie would throw you off their estate you daft tit. Your an anti and making a pigs ear of pretending to be a hunter....halfwit !!! goz
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree