When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Burnley street death man had taken drugs and drink
3:00pm Wednesday 30th January 2013 in News
A MAN who died on a Burnley street was ‘eight to nine times over the alcohol drink-drive limit’ and had taken heroin, an inquest has heard.
A hearing at Burnley Magistrates’ Court heard Nicholas Dalton, 39 of Comrie Crescent, Coal Clough, was at a house in Scarlett Street when he became unresponsive after taking heroin on September 21.
Mr Dalton’s wife Deborah told the court they had earlier separated because of her husband’s drug and alcohol issues, which had developed from amphetamines and cocaine to heroin.
Despite their marital problems, she still saw her husband ‘every day’ and spent time with him on the day of his death. She said “He was optimistic, drawing up a shopping list of plans for the future.”
He had accompanied her to Burnley town centre but later had bought strong cider and stopped at an address in Dalton Street, where she suspected he had bought drugs.
Mrs Dalton returned to her home in Nelson but had arranged to meet him later that evening.
The court heard Mr Dalton later went with others to his nephew’s home in Scarlett Street and bought two, three-litre bottles of cider and a small bottle of wine.
At one point he produced £25 from his pocket and left, saying he was buying drugs. He later went upstairs with another man at the house shortly before overdosing.
He was taken outside by friends but his condition got worse. Paramedics were called but he was pronounced dead at the scene.
Mr Dalton who lived in Burnley all his life, also left a stepson Nathan, a sister and three brothers.
Mr Dalton had been a promising runner until a serious forklift truck accident badly injured his leg and put him in hospital for 14 months.
A post-mortem examination was carried out by Dr Walid Salman. He said that a toxicology report had shown heroin in his system and levels of alcohol in his blood and urine eight or nine times the drink drive limit.
East Lancashire coroner Richard Taylor recorded a verdict of accidental death.
Comments are closed on this article.