Demolition threat to 'thriving' Burnley community centre

A 'THRIVING' community centre in the heart of Burnley is facing demolition.

Burnley Wood Youth and Community Centre, in Glebe Street, which is run by volunteers, has been earmarked as part of the next phase of a housing development.

Burnley Council is working with developer Keepmoat to regenerate one of the town's most deprived areas with scores of new homes.

But campaigners have branded the plans to demolish the centre as 'sickening' as it offers children and residents a range of community activities and has helped reduce crime in the area.

Burnley MP Gordon Birtwistle said: "When the original plans for this phase of the development were formed I remember that the Glebe Street centre and the playground were always sacrosanct, not an option for development.

“It looks like things have changed now and I will support the volunteers and users to keep the centre where it is.”

The area affected, which supporters say has been used for leisure for 121 years, includes the centre building, a large concrete playground and a nearby grassed play area.

Adrienne Boys, 58, is one of the leaders at the centre, which is council-owned but run entirely by unpaid volunteers.

She said: “It’s sickening to do this to a community which doesn’t have much. I’m sure a lot of residents in Burnley Wood will fight this all the way.

“I’ve been involved here for more than 20 years.

“We have a Friday night disco for the children, arts and crafts on a Thursday and a well-attended pensioners’ coffee morning and bingo.

“My daughter Samantha and my 17-year-old grand daughter Jadene have both followed me in becoming volunteers - the place is thriving.”

Mrs Boys added that in the past two years the centre, which has a capacity of 70 people, had raised more than £20,000 for new flooring, disabled toilets and kitchen facilities.

The index of multiple deprivation places Burnley Wood among the five per cent most deprived districts in the country, with more than 20 per cent of children in the area eligible for free school meals.

Sylvia Wilkinson, of Glebe Street, lives next to the centre and is also a volunteer and primary keyholder.

She said: “It’s sickening to think that we could lose all this for new housing.

“Generations of children have come to play and meet others. It’s a place of safety, the hub of the community.

“I’m certain that having the play centre helps with reducing anti-social behaviour. There’s nothing else for kids to do round here.

“I just hope someone listens to what this community wants.”

Coun Jeff Sumner, who represents the area on Burnley Council and has been involved with the centre for several years, dressed up as Father Christmas at a children's party at the venue last week.

He said: “I think the council leadership are just paying lip service to the idea of proper consultation.

“Losing this centre will decimate a community which doesn’t have much. We all support regenerating the area but to develop this area without providing a viable alternative is simply wrong.

“To me it smacks of ‘fat cat’ behaviour.”

It is not known how many homes are earmarked for the site, which is approximately three acres, until the end of a consultation.

Around 120 new homes have been recently built and last year properties in Branch Road, Hampden Street and Nuttall Street were demolished as part of a £410,000 scheme.

Council regeneration chief Mike Cook said: “The creation of new affordable housing in this area of Burnley, with its proximity to the town centre, family facilities, and award winning parks, has seen a large area of Burnley Wood transformed.

“As part of our partner Keepmoats’ ongoing plans for the neighbourhood, more proposals for new homes are expected.

“The likelihood of these proposals is that a future site for development will include the Glebe Street play building.

“These proposals should not be a surprise to anyone who has been involved in the Burnley Wood redevelopment, as there has been extensive consultation on them over a period of time.

“The new homes in the neighbourhood are selling well, and the ongoing development is the result of years of hard work from the council, our partners, and local councillors.”

A meeting about the future of the site will take place at the Glebe Street centre at 6.30pm on Monday.

Comments (26)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:48am Sat 5 Jan 13

rumblesteveskin says...

Ripping the Heart out of another thriving community! What is wrong with Burnley Council? I heard that Mike Cook on Radio the other week coming out with some right twoddle. Why do we need more new houses when Burnley has the most empty in country?
How come accrington and nelson can sort out the old homes and Burnley just demolish them?

< http://www.bbc.co.uk
/news/uk-england-lan
cashire-20897748 >
Ripping the Heart out of another thriving community! What is wrong with Burnley Council? I heard that Mike Cook on Radio the other week coming out with some right twoddle. Why do we need more new houses when Burnley has the most empty in country? How come accrington and nelson can sort out the old homes and Burnley just demolish them? < http://www.bbc.co.uk /news/uk-england-lan cashire-20897748 > rumblesteveskin

11:08am Sat 5 Jan 13

furious............ parent !!! says...

how the hell can greed justify this?
I for one will ensure that absolutely everything possible is done to challenge this ABSURD news. Not only did my generation benefit enormously from the center as children and teenagers with the amazing work of the volunteers, our children now do....... it is absolutely scandulous!!!!! Surely Burnley council will only spend any money made from keep moat - on dishing out future asbos to bored children in the future if this goes ahead? a crying shame that smacks of greed . FURIOUS!!!!!
how the hell can greed justify this? I for one will ensure that absolutely everything possible is done to challenge this ABSURD news. Not only did my generation benefit enormously from the center as children and teenagers with the amazing work of the volunteers, our children now do....... it is absolutely scandulous!!!!! Surely Burnley council will only spend any money made from keep moat - on dishing out future asbos to bored children in the future if this goes ahead? a crying shame that smacks of greed . FURIOUS!!!!! furious............ parent !!!

11:35am Sat 5 Jan 13

donkeybrain says...

Well for a start Burnleywood has not been transformed, it is just a smaller version of it's former self, just have a walk round the area to my mind nothing has changed it is still much the same as it was when Elevate started, millions of pounds has benn spent in the area, who as benifited well not the residents. Many have been turned out of there homes and forced to live elsewhere,having had to take on a £30.000 debt, the people who benefited from this sorry saga are the developers. Burnleywood is still a community and we need some facilities for our children. Demolishing this centre will only speed up the decline of what is left of the area. I call on the Council to stand up for the area, tell the developers if they want the land they must build a new comunuty centre please stand up for the residents who elected you and not the Developers.
Lawrence
Well for a start Burnleywood has not been transformed, it is just a smaller version of it's former self, just have a walk round the area to my mind nothing has changed it is still much the same as it was when Elevate started, millions of pounds has benn spent in the area, who as benifited well not the residents. Many have been turned out of there homes and forced to live elsewhere,having had to take on a £30.000 debt, the people who benefited from this sorry saga are the developers. Burnleywood is still a community and we need some facilities for our children. Demolishing this centre will only speed up the decline of what is left of the area. I call on the Council to stand up for the area, tell the developers if they want the land they must build a new comunuty centre please stand up for the residents who elected you and not the Developers. Lawrence donkeybrain

11:45am Sat 5 Jan 13

blylad says...

Burnley Wood- thriving community???...don't make me laugh!!!! Rosehill where I live has no community facilities but Burnley Wood has the community centre AND a Surestart centre. Knock it down and build the housing, the only thing holding Burnley back is people's rose tinted perceptions of the past!
Burnley Wood- thriving community???...don't make me laugh!!!! Rosehill where I live has no community facilities but Burnley Wood has the community centre AND a Surestart centre. Knock it down and build the housing, the only thing holding Burnley back is people's rose tinted perceptions of the past! blylad

12:05pm Sat 5 Jan 13

ABBEY ROAD says...

Sadly Cllr Sumner and Gordon Birtwistle are not telling the truth here. Both have known for years that Glebe Street Ctr was due to be demolished and the Community Play building has always been on the plans to be replaced by new housing as ex Counillor Leader and a past Council Exec Member this is something they were involved in. They are only objecting now as the Lib Dem are nothing in power. Burnley Council have got another Community Centre only minutes walk away from this building which is the old Terracefields which Cllr Sumner was backing. No other community in Burnley has 2 centres close by each other. Make your mind up Cllr Sumner - does this mean you have fallen out with the crowd and Terracefields and now want to be back in with your friends at Glebe Street. You should be fighting to get a decent community building which better serves the area and today's children. Both building are old, need upgrading and are not cost effective. The arguement should be that the plans to regenerate Burnley Wood should have included a new community centre with modern play facilities which the young people would want to use. Instead of an old church or an old concrete block building. New houses should also mean new community facilities which everyone can use both young and old.
Sadly Cllr Sumner and Gordon Birtwistle are not telling the truth here. Both have known for years that Glebe Street Ctr was due to be demolished and the Community Play building has always been on the plans to be replaced by new housing as ex Counillor Leader and a past Council Exec Member this is something they were involved in. They are only objecting now as the Lib Dem are nothing in power. Burnley Council have got another Community Centre only minutes walk away from this building which is the old Terracefields which Cllr Sumner was backing. No other community in Burnley has 2 centres close by each other. Make your mind up Cllr Sumner - does this mean you have fallen out with the crowd and Terracefields and now want to be back in with your friends at Glebe Street. You should be fighting to get a decent community building which better serves the area and today's children. Both building are old, need upgrading and are not cost effective. The arguement should be that the plans to regenerate Burnley Wood should have included a new community centre with modern play facilities which the young people would want to use. Instead of an old church or an old concrete block building. New houses should also mean new community facilities which everyone can use both young and old. ABBEY ROAD

1:23pm Sat 5 Jan 13

tonygreaves says...

Seems like this is the Labour Party returning to form!

Tony Greaves
Seems like this is the Labour Party returning to form! Tony Greaves tonygreaves

3:33pm Sat 5 Jan 13

turbo5 says...

Smells of sour grapes by the Lib dems ! they lost their seat on that ward and have been causing trouble anyway they can. There already is a community centre in Burnley Wood however the unofficial one has the ex councillor still fighting its cause hence all the lib dems shouting.
Smells of sour grapes by the Lib dems ! they lost their seat on that ward and have been causing trouble anyway they can. There already is a community centre in Burnley Wood however the unofficial one has the ex councillor still fighting its cause hence all the lib dems shouting. turbo5

3:38pm Sat 5 Jan 13

Interocitor says...

Blimey, Greaves. Your party of Tory enablers hardly has anything to crow about. I'd have a bit more respect for you if your party hadn't allowed Lansley, Grove, Pickles and IDS to run wild with their neo-Thatcherite polices.
Blimey, Greaves. Your party of Tory enablers hardly has anything to crow about. I'd have a bit more respect for you if your party hadn't allowed Lansley, Grove, Pickles and IDS to run wild with their neo-Thatcherite polices. Interocitor

5:20pm Sat 5 Jan 13

George.White.Bread says...

tonygreaves wrote:
Seems like this is the Labour Party returning to form!

Tony Greaves
Why are you commenting on this Tony? It has nothing to do with Pendle, remember?
[quote][p][bold]tonygreaves[/bold] wrote: Seems like this is the Labour Party returning to form! Tony Greaves[/p][/quote]Why are you commenting on this Tony? It has nothing to do with Pendle, remember? George.White.Bread

7:41pm Sat 5 Jan 13

Taylor Housing says...

Everybody as usual will keep going round in circles on this. I have always done what I could to support the Burnley Wood community especially those that wanted help indeed, I have provided the drop-in centre on the corner of Springfield Road/Dall Street. A couple of years ago I tried purchasing one of these larger buildings for the community and even offered the asking price but, discovered that it could not be bought even though it was offered for sale with an agent! I do not wish to enter into the debate but can state that the obstacles I encountered were not the LibDem councillors but rather the powers that be and their policies at the Town Hall. I have always felt that there were hidden agendas and sadly Burnley Borough Council is the most unprofessional and wasteful that I have ever encountered in many years of successful business.
Everybody as usual will keep going round in circles on this. I have always done what I could to support the Burnley Wood community especially those that wanted help indeed, I have provided the drop-in centre on the corner of Springfield Road/Dall Street. A couple of years ago I tried purchasing one of these larger buildings for the community and even offered the asking price but, discovered that it could not be bought even though it was offered for sale with an agent! I do not wish to enter into the debate but can state that the obstacles I encountered were not the LibDem councillors but rather the powers that be and their policies at the Town Hall. I have always felt that there were hidden agendas and sadly Burnley Borough Council is the most unprofessional and wasteful that I have ever encountered in many years of successful business. Taylor Housing

8:41pm Sat 5 Jan 13

Mister Red says...

Demolishing everything and building new houses in their place does not constitute a thriving community.Burnley Wood Park was taken apart during the working day and now the young children have nowhere to play.The "park" on Glebe street is just used as a dog toilet for the lazy locals and the football pitch is just a sloping piece of gravel and stones.Surely if the facilities that the council sell to private land owners then we should get a rebate in our council tax.Pretty soon the local children will have absolutely nowhere to play and will end up walking the streets causing damage and mischief through total boredom.
Demolishing everything and building new houses in their place does not constitute a thriving community.Burnley Wood Park was taken apart during the working day and now the young children have nowhere to play.The "park" on Glebe street is just used as a dog toilet for the lazy locals and the football pitch is just a sloping piece of gravel and stones.Surely if the facilities that the council sell to private land owners then we should get a rebate in our council tax.Pretty soon the local children will have absolutely nowhere to play and will end up walking the streets causing damage and mischief through total boredom. Mister Red

9:57pm Sat 5 Jan 13

oh give it a rest says...

turbo5 wrote:
Smells of sour grapes by the Lib dems ! they lost their seat on that ward and have been causing trouble anyway they can. There already is a community centre in Burnley Wood however the unofficial one has the ex councillor still fighting its cause hence all the lib dems shouting.
Turbo5

You quote the "unofficial one" what's unofficial about a centre that is open 6 days a week offering and delivering services and activities including the over 50's weekly Luncheon Club that serves up a 3 course home made dinner for just £3.00 for 36 members of the dinner group and still is growing with many members from all over Burnley not just Burnley Wood. We use the drop in centre on Dall St/corner of Springfield Rd as a drop in centre also catering for UK Online Computer courses, Arts & crafts, Cheerleading sessions, Table Top Sales, Parties just to name a few. We as an organisation utilise both community centres on Springfield Rd, Burnley Wood Training and Community Centre and our Drop in centre for all our activities, all for the good of the area. I still smile with the Unofficial title you gave it, but thats your opinion. And yes as a past Cllr for the area (PAST) being the word here, neither of the Springfield Rd Centres are Political and have never been, so please don't tar our group as you state "ex councillor still fighting its cause, hence all the lib dems shouting" I have NOTHING to do with the Lib Dem party in Burnley, the only party I represent are the people of Burnley wood and making sure we deliver services and activities for the area, there is no other agenda Im sorry to have to inform you. Dall St Residents Assoc has been up and running for over 8 years and will still continue to help the good people of the Wood. Hope that puts you straight, didnt want you to think I was part of a party when you are barking totally up the wrong tree :)
[quote][p][bold]turbo5[/bold] wrote: Smells of sour grapes by the Lib dems ! they lost their seat on that ward and have been causing trouble anyway they can. There already is a community centre in Burnley Wood however the unofficial one has the ex councillor still fighting its cause hence all the lib dems shouting.[/p][/quote]Turbo5 You quote the "unofficial one" what's unofficial about a centre that is open 6 days a week offering and delivering services and activities including the over 50's weekly Luncheon Club that serves up a 3 course home made dinner for just £3.00 for 36 members of the dinner group and still is growing with many members from all over Burnley not just Burnley Wood. We use the drop in centre on Dall St/corner of Springfield Rd as a drop in centre also catering for UK Online Computer courses, Arts & crafts, Cheerleading sessions, Table Top Sales, Parties just to name a few. We as an organisation utilise both community centres on Springfield Rd, Burnley Wood Training and Community Centre and our Drop in centre for all our activities, all for the good of the area. I still smile with the Unofficial title you gave it, but thats your opinion. And yes as a past Cllr for the area (PAST) being the word here, neither of the Springfield Rd Centres are Political and have never been, so please don't tar our group as you state "ex councillor still fighting its cause, hence all the lib dems shouting" I have NOTHING to do with the Lib Dem party in Burnley, the only party I represent are the people of Burnley wood and making sure we deliver services and activities for the area, there is no other agenda Im sorry to have to inform you. Dall St Residents Assoc has been up and running for over 8 years and will still continue to help the good people of the Wood. Hope that puts you straight, didnt want you to think I was part of a party when you are barking totally up the wrong tree :) oh give it a rest

10:46pm Sat 5 Jan 13

rumblesteveskin says...

KEEPMOAT or BARNFIELD..... are they really the only developers who tender for work in Burnley?

They seem to be very good with their tenders, no other firms get a look in!

Doesn't give the Council's tendering process much credibility does it?
KEEPMOAT or BARNFIELD..... are they really the only developers who tender for work in Burnley? They seem to be very good with their tenders, no other firms get a look in! Doesn't give the Council's tendering process much credibility does it? rumblesteveskin

10:47pm Sat 5 Jan 13

Taylor Housing says...

It's a pity that there aren't just a handful more people like 'Oh give it a rest'. It is a fact of life that the world is full of people with opinions and criticisms, rarely do these people actually 'Do' anything themselves. It always saddens me when people who do their best against (all the odds I might add), receive negative press. I always try to judge a person by their actions and their reasons even if I do not share their reasons. A person who tries is worth a hundred that don't.
It's a pity that there aren't just a handful more people like 'Oh give it a rest'. It is a fact of life that the world is full of people with opinions and criticisms, rarely do these people actually 'Do' anything themselves. It always saddens me when people who do their best against (all the odds I might add), receive negative press. I always try to judge a person by their actions and their reasons even if I do not share their reasons. A person who tries is worth a hundred that don't. Taylor Housing

11:10pm Sat 5 Jan 13

furious............ parent !!! says...

Is anybody even considering the impact that this will have on local children? Not only do the centres staff do an immeasurable service they also prove to be great inspiration and role models to young ones. As a hard working, society contributing family this is one hell of a tragedy and an unforgivable act by the powers that be. SHAME ON YOU !!!
Is anybody even considering the impact that this will have on local children? Not only do the centres staff do an immeasurable service they also prove to be great inspiration and role models to young ones. As a hard working, society contributing family this is one hell of a tragedy and an unforgivable act by the powers that be. SHAME ON YOU !!! furious............ parent !!!

12:26am Sun 6 Jan 13

turbo5 says...

oh give it a rest wrote:
turbo5 wrote:
Smells of sour grapes by the Lib dems ! they lost their seat on that ward and have been causing trouble anyway they can. There already is a community centre in Burnley Wood however the unofficial one has the ex councillor still fighting its cause hence all the lib dems shouting.
Turbo5

You quote the &quot;unofficial one" what's unofficial about a centre that is open 6 days a week offering and delivering services and activities including the over 50's weekly Luncheon Club that serves up a 3 course home made dinner for just £3.00 for 36 members of the dinner group and still is growing with many members from all over Burnley not just Burnley Wood. We use the drop in centre on Dall St/corner of Springfield Rd as a drop in centre also catering for UK Online Computer courses, Arts &amp; crafts, Cheerleading sessions, Table Top Sales, Parties just to name a few. We as an organisation utilise both community centres on Springfield Rd, Burnley Wood Training and Community Centre and our Drop in centre for all our activities, all for the good of the area. I still smile with the Unofficial title you gave it, but thats your opinion. And yes as a past Cllr for the area (PAST) being the word here, neither of the Springfield Rd Centres are Political and have never been, so please don't tar our group as you state "ex councillor still fighting its cause, hence all the lib dems shouting" I have NOTHING to do with the Lib Dem party in Burnley, the only party I represent are the people of Burnley wood and making sure we deliver services and activities for the area, there is no other agenda Im sorry to have to inform you. Dall St Residents Assoc has been up and running for over 8 years and will still continue to help the good people of the Wood. Hope that puts you straight, didnt want you to think I was part of a party when you are barking totally up the wrong tree :)
Why don't you put the same effort in the communty centre rather than having a competing one, a really good idea would be to work together.
to be fair I am sick of hearing Burnley wood this Burnley wood that, you could plate the place in gold and it still wouldn't be enough, You have Towneley on your doorstep , the town centre not far away yet they want more ! What about other areas of town where the residents actually pay council taxes and don't have none of the services that Burnley wood has.
[quote][p][bold]oh give it a rest[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]turbo5[/bold] wrote: Smells of sour grapes by the Lib dems ! they lost their seat on that ward and have been causing trouble anyway they can. There already is a community centre in Burnley Wood however the unofficial one has the ex councillor still fighting its cause hence all the lib dems shouting.[/p][/quote]Turbo5 You quote the "unofficial one" what's unofficial about a centre that is open 6 days a week offering and delivering services and activities including the over 50's weekly Luncheon Club that serves up a 3 course home made dinner for just £3.00 for 36 members of the dinner group and still is growing with many members from all over Burnley not just Burnley Wood. We use the drop in centre on Dall St/corner of Springfield Rd as a drop in centre also catering for UK Online Computer courses, Arts & crafts, Cheerleading sessions, Table Top Sales, Parties just to name a few. We as an organisation utilise both community centres on Springfield Rd, Burnley Wood Training and Community Centre and our Drop in centre for all our activities, all for the good of the area. I still smile with the Unofficial title you gave it, but thats your opinion. And yes as a past Cllr for the area (PAST) being the word here, neither of the Springfield Rd Centres are Political and have never been, so please don't tar our group as you state "ex councillor still fighting its cause, hence all the lib dems shouting" I have NOTHING to do with the Lib Dem party in Burnley, the only party I represent are the people of Burnley wood and making sure we deliver services and activities for the area, there is no other agenda Im sorry to have to inform you. Dall St Residents Assoc has been up and running for over 8 years and will still continue to help the good people of the Wood. Hope that puts you straight, didnt want you to think I was part of a party when you are barking totally up the wrong tree :)[/p][/quote]Why don't you put the same effort in the communty centre rather than having a competing one, a really good idea would be to work together. to be fair I am sick of hearing Burnley wood this Burnley wood that, you could plate the place in gold and it still wouldn't be enough, You have Towneley on your doorstep , the town centre not far away yet they want more ! What about other areas of town where the residents actually pay council taxes and don't have none of the services that Burnley wood has. turbo5

4:43am Sun 6 Jan 13

hunter3062 says...

We recognise the Green Agenda presents many challenges and opportunities for Social Housing landlords looking to reduce carbon emissions and provide affordable warmth.
The Keepmoat group is a market leader in the large scale refurbishment of occupied homes........unless you live in burnley wood.
We recognise the Green Agenda presents many challenges and opportunities for Social Housing landlords looking to reduce carbon emissions and provide affordable warmth. The Keepmoat group is a market leader in the large scale refurbishment of occupied homes........unless you live in burnley wood. hunter3062

12:09pm Sun 6 Jan 13

oh give it a rest says...

Burnleydad wrote:
oh give it a rest
I think you need to wake up I work 5 days a week and pay full council tax as do most people. All areas have people that do not work so are funded! Do you know your neighbors or people in your community to talk to or even pass and say hello???. If you want to have the facilities Burnley wood has move!. You chose the area you wanted to live in and knew of the services your area had to offer or even better put your one set mind in to the effort of trying to open and support a community center in your area instead of throwing your verbal trash at a area you have know idea off expect what is put in the media.
If you have a sensible comment or view I would like to see you at the meeting on Monday so You can put it forward to the council and may be they will looking at improving your community spirit.
Look forward to seeing you at the meeting my friend.
And to all at the community center keep up the good work as it is appreciated by all the residents that attend each and every week.
Burnley Dad

I most certainly DO know my neighbours and many of the residents in Burnley wood as I live there also and represented them for over 8 years. Could you explain your meaning of "one set mind" as yes my mind is set to help the residents in the area, thats why we have a centre that offers computer courses etc, which not all community centres in the area can offer unfortunately. As the volunteers of Glebe St have mentioned before Glebe St has great activities running but it would not be big enough to hold and cater for the weekly luncheon club, that we run, and some of our their activities they have mentioned would not be suitable to be run in the Springfield Rd community centres.
I indeed havea terrible lot of knowledge and hands on experience of the area as I have lived here for over 35 years, have watched the area and its changes, I do not want to see any of the 3 community centres lost and stripped from the community by the council, they all deliver valuable services and should be able to remain as such.
You asked would I be attending the Monday night meeting, darn right I will with a few of our members of the community and the committee of our group. I hope you come and make yourself known to me Burnley Dad, incase you aren't sure who I am Im Karen Heseltine from Dall Street, hope you come across for a chat.
See you Monday
[quote][p][bold]Burnleydad[/bold] wrote: oh give it a rest I think you need to wake up I work 5 days a week and pay full council tax as do most people. All areas have people that do not work so are funded! Do you know your neighbors or people in your community to talk to or even pass and say hello???. If you want to have the facilities Burnley wood has move!. You chose the area you wanted to live in and knew of the services your area had to offer or even better put your one set mind in to the effort of trying to open and support a community center in your area instead of throwing your verbal trash at a area you have know idea off expect what is put in the media. If you have a sensible comment or view I would like to see you at the meeting on Monday so You can put it forward to the council and may be they will looking at improving your community spirit. Look forward to seeing you at the meeting my friend. And to all at the community center keep up the good work as it is appreciated by all the residents that attend each and every week.[/p][/quote]Burnley Dad I most certainly DO know my neighbours and many of the residents in Burnley wood as I live there also and represented them for over 8 years. Could you explain your meaning of "one set mind" as yes my mind is set to help the residents in the area, thats why we have a centre that offers computer courses etc, which not all community centres in the area can offer unfortunately. As the volunteers of Glebe St have mentioned before Glebe St has great activities running but it would not be big enough to hold and cater for the weekly luncheon club, that we run, and some of our their activities they have mentioned would not be suitable to be run in the Springfield Rd community centres. I indeed havea terrible lot of knowledge and hands on experience of the area as I have lived here for over 35 years, have watched the area and its changes, I do not want to see any of the 3 community centres lost and stripped from the community by the council, they all deliver valuable services and should be able to remain as such. You asked would I be attending the Monday night meeting, darn right I will with a few of our members of the community and the committee of our group. I hope you come and make yourself known to me Burnley Dad, incase you aren't sure who I am Im Karen Heseltine from Dall Street, hope you come across for a chat. See you Monday oh give it a rest

12:39pm Sun 6 Jan 13

oh give it a rest says...

turbo5 wrote:
oh give it a rest wrote:
turbo5 wrote:
Smells of sour grapes by the Lib dems ! they lost their seat on that ward and have been causing trouble anyway they can. There already is a community centre in Burnley Wood however the unofficial one has the ex councillor still fighting its cause hence all the lib dems shouting.
Turbo5

You quote the &quot;unofficial one" what's unofficial about a centre that is open 6 days a week offering and delivering services and activities including the over 50's weekly Luncheon Club that serves up a 3 course home made dinner for just £3.00 for 36 members of the dinner group and still is growing with many members from all over Burnley not just Burnley Wood. We use the drop in centre on Dall St/corner of Springfield Rd as a drop in centre also catering for UK Online Computer courses, Arts &amp; crafts, Cheerleading sessions, Table Top Sales, Parties just to name a few. We as an organisation utilise both community centres on Springfield Rd, Burnley Wood Training and Community Centre and our Drop in centre for all our activities, all for the good of the area. I still smile with the Unofficial title you gave it, but thats your opinion. And yes as a past Cllr for the area (PAST) being the word here, neither of the Springfield Rd Centres are Political and have never been, so please don't tar our group as you state "ex councillor still fighting its cause, hence all the lib dems shouting" I have NOTHING to do with the Lib Dem party in Burnley, the only party I represent are the people of Burnley wood and making sure we deliver services and activities for the area, there is no other agenda Im sorry to have to inform you. Dall St Residents Assoc has been up and running for over 8 years and will still continue to help the good people of the Wood. Hope that puts you straight, didnt want you to think I was part of a party when you are barking totally up the wrong tree :)
Why don't you put the same effort in the communty centre rather than having a competing one, a really good idea would be to work together.
to be fair I am sick of hearing Burnley wood this Burnley wood that, you could plate the place in gold and it still wouldn't be enough, You have Towneley on your doorstep , the town centre not far away yet they want more ! What about other areas of town where the residents actually pay council taxes and don't have none of the services that Burnley wood has.
Turbo 5

You quote "why I dont put as much effort into the community centre"

I can inform you I have put a lot of effort into the glebe st building I helped grant the funding for all the necessary work that was needed to bring the building upto its current appearance. I ran weekly sports night along with the Dam buster team from the Glebe St centre every Saturday evening two solid hours of play. sports and run all supervised. I out of my own money paid for all the fresh fruit, food and drinks I wanted to give the kiddies, many not even seeing or knowing what a pineapple was, so the children not only got play but learned a lot in the process. Keep fit classes were run from the centre which a few members including me attended, Police meetings were attended there again I attended. So yes I do support the group and its centre.
We have never and will ever be in competition with any of the three centres in Burnley Wood, everyone of them deliver services and activities that the other centres can't support. The volunteers at Glebe St and supporters have said the weekly luncheon club just couldnt run from Glebe St as the kitchen facilities can't handle it and the hall would not be big enough to cater for all the members. Same as our centre couldnt cope re lack of space for Glebe St's weekly disco... so as you can see not all building can deliver the services that their groups want to run.

You state you are fed up of hearing about Burnley Wood, well there is a simple answer to that my friend, chose not to read about the issues that concern Burnley Wood and do not reply, thats the method I would undertake, if it makes you feel like you say.

Re other areas of Burnley. Yes I agree there are another 14 wards of Burnley all in need of community facililities, so why dont members fight passionately like Burnley Wood does to make things happen and get people to notice what is happening in that area, without the good work from the centres volunteers there wouldn't be any community centres, so do what we are all doing get up and make it happen.

Oh and if you are trying to imply no one pays council taxes here in Burnley Wood, not everybody is on welfare benefits, yes we have our fair share, but so does a lot of other areas of our town.
[quote][p][bold]turbo5[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]oh give it a rest[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]turbo5[/bold] wrote: Smells of sour grapes by the Lib dems ! they lost their seat on that ward and have been causing trouble anyway they can. There already is a community centre in Burnley Wood however the unofficial one has the ex councillor still fighting its cause hence all the lib dems shouting.[/p][/quote]Turbo5 You quote the "unofficial one" what's unofficial about a centre that is open 6 days a week offering and delivering services and activities including the over 50's weekly Luncheon Club that serves up a 3 course home made dinner for just £3.00 for 36 members of the dinner group and still is growing with many members from all over Burnley not just Burnley Wood. We use the drop in centre on Dall St/corner of Springfield Rd as a drop in centre also catering for UK Online Computer courses, Arts & crafts, Cheerleading sessions, Table Top Sales, Parties just to name a few. We as an organisation utilise both community centres on Springfield Rd, Burnley Wood Training and Community Centre and our Drop in centre for all our activities, all for the good of the area. I still smile with the Unofficial title you gave it, but thats your opinion. And yes as a past Cllr for the area (PAST) being the word here, neither of the Springfield Rd Centres are Political and have never been, so please don't tar our group as you state "ex councillor still fighting its cause, hence all the lib dems shouting" I have NOTHING to do with the Lib Dem party in Burnley, the only party I represent are the people of Burnley wood and making sure we deliver services and activities for the area, there is no other agenda Im sorry to have to inform you. Dall St Residents Assoc has been up and running for over 8 years and will still continue to help the good people of the Wood. Hope that puts you straight, didnt want you to think I was part of a party when you are barking totally up the wrong tree :)[/p][/quote]Why don't you put the same effort in the communty centre rather than having a competing one, a really good idea would be to work together. to be fair I am sick of hearing Burnley wood this Burnley wood that, you could plate the place in gold and it still wouldn't be enough, You have Towneley on your doorstep , the town centre not far away yet they want more ! What about other areas of town where the residents actually pay council taxes and don't have none of the services that Burnley wood has.[/p][/quote]Turbo 5 You quote "why I dont put as much effort into the community centre" I can inform you I have put a lot of effort into the glebe st building I helped grant the funding for all the necessary work that was needed to bring the building upto its current appearance. I ran weekly sports night along with the Dam buster team from the Glebe St centre every Saturday evening two solid hours of play. sports and run all supervised. I out of my own money paid for all the fresh fruit, food and drinks I wanted to give the kiddies, many not even seeing or knowing what a pineapple was, so the children not only got play but learned a lot in the process. Keep fit classes were run from the centre which a few members including me attended, Police meetings were attended there again I attended. So yes I do support the group and its centre. We have never and will ever be in competition with any of the three centres in Burnley Wood, everyone of them deliver services and activities that the other centres can't support. The volunteers at Glebe St and supporters have said the weekly luncheon club just couldnt run from Glebe St as the kitchen facilities can't handle it and the hall would not be big enough to cater for all the members. Same as our centre couldnt cope re lack of space for Glebe St's weekly disco... so as you can see not all building can deliver the services that their groups want to run. You state you are fed up of hearing about Burnley Wood, well there is a simple answer to that my friend, chose not to read about the issues that concern Burnley Wood and do not reply, thats the method I would undertake, if it makes you feel like you say. Re other areas of Burnley. Yes I agree there are another 14 wards of Burnley all in need of community facililities, so why dont members fight passionately like Burnley Wood does to make things happen and get people to notice what is happening in that area, without the good work from the centres volunteers there wouldn't be any community centres, so do what we are all doing get up and make it happen. Oh and if you are trying to imply no one pays council taxes here in Burnley Wood, not everybody is on welfare benefits, yes we have our fair share, but so does a lot of other areas of our town. oh give it a rest

6:28pm Sun 6 Jan 13

claretandbluetoo says...

rumblesteveskin wrote:
KEEPMOAT or BARNFIELD..... are they really the only developers who tender for work in Burnley?

They seem to be very good with their tenders, no other firms get a look in!

Doesn't give the Council's tendering process much credibility does it?
always the same second rate building companies that are replacing good strong houses with tatty. wooden framed, plasterboard versions that will fall down in less than twenty years.

something wrong that it is always Keepmoat and Barnfield.
[quote][p][bold]rumblesteveskin[/bold] wrote: KEEPMOAT or BARNFIELD..... are they really the only developers who tender for work in Burnley? They seem to be very good with their tenders, no other firms get a look in! Doesn't give the Council's tendering process much credibility does it?[/p][/quote]always the same second rate building companies that are replacing good strong houses with tatty. wooden framed, plasterboard versions that will fall down in less than twenty years. something wrong that it is always Keepmoat and Barnfield. claretandbluetoo

8:47pm Sun 6 Jan 13

furious............ parent !!! says...

Just wondered Karen heseltine.....will u be fighting to keep the youth club open?
Just wondered Karen heseltine.....will u be fighting to keep the youth club open? furious............ parent !!!

10:25pm Sun 6 Jan 13

oh give it a rest says...

furious............ parent !!! wrote:
Just wondered Karen heseltine.....will u be fighting to keep the youth club open?
Furious parent, if you have read my previous postings I intend to fight to keep all 3 community centres open as they are all as valuable to the area as each other, hope that helps.
[quote][p][bold]furious............ parent !!![/bold] wrote: Just wondered Karen heseltine.....will u be fighting to keep the youth club open?[/p][/quote]Furious parent, if you have read my previous postings I intend to fight to keep all 3 community centres open as they are all as valuable to the area as each other, hope that helps. oh give it a rest

12:10pm Mon 7 Jan 13

Siouxsie-Jan says...

I remember when the Lib Dems were campaigning to restore FULL A&E services to Burnley General. You don't hear much about that anymore, do you? Mind you, I seem to recall someone (maybe our current MP?) going on about renaming the urgent care centre in a poor attempt at hoodwinking.

Politicians = some good, some bad, but mostly just the same.
I remember when the Lib Dems were campaigning to restore FULL A&E services to Burnley General. You don't hear much about that anymore, do you? Mind you, I seem to recall someone (maybe our current MP?) going on about renaming the urgent care centre in a poor attempt at hoodwinking. Politicians = some good, some bad, but mostly just the same. Siouxsie-Jan

12:32pm Mon 7 Jan 13

Burnleydad says...

Sorry to ,oh give it a rest, I seem to have put your user name in my post and it was not intended for you at all. Sorry for that.
Sorry to ,oh give it a rest, I seem to have put your user name in my post and it was not intended for you at all. Sorry for that. Burnleydad

9:34pm Mon 7 Jan 13

Karen Heseltine says...

Burnleydad wrote:
Sorry to ,oh give it a rest, I seem to have put your user name in my post and it was not intended for you at all. Sorry for that.
Not a problem at all Burnleydad. No harm done :)
[quote][p][bold]Burnleydad[/bold] wrote: Sorry to ,oh give it a rest, I seem to have put your user name in my post and it was not intended for you at all. Sorry for that.[/p][/quote]Not a problem at all Burnleydad. No harm done :) Karen Heseltine

11:52am Tue 8 Jan 13

furious............ parent !!! says...

What a sham the meeting turned out to be! To address the community with a smug look and continuing to laugh as the residents expressed their thoughts was just **** rude. It is quite clear this is a done deal and all at Bly council should hang their heads in shame. Who are u to say we hav to many facilities in the area? Each service is used by different groups and as we all know it would be a completely different story if it was your family being affected ! Disgusting and wrong. Your nothing if not pathetic !
What a sham the meeting turned out to be! To address the community with a smug look and continuing to laugh as the residents expressed their thoughts was just **** rude. It is quite clear this is a done deal and all at Bly council should hang their heads in shame. Who are u to say we hav to many facilities in the area? Each service is used by different groups and as we all know it would be a completely different story if it was your family being affected ! Disgusting and wrong. Your nothing if not pathetic ! furious............ parent !!!

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree