Blackburn Council apologises over controversial 'topple-testing' of gravestones

First published in News Lancashire Telegraph: Photograph of the Author by , Crime reporter

HUNDREDS of grieving families will be reimbursed after being incorrectly billed for work on their loved ones’ graves.

Blackburn with Darwen Council has apologised to relatives who were forced to make payouts after gravestones failed controversial topple tests.

The decision to reimburse people, set to cost the authority around £50,000, was made by officers, who accepted that topple-testing work carried out by contractors fell short of the required standard.

They also said a number of memorials which were designated failures may have been incorrectly assessed and have made a public apology.

Topple-testing was introduced nationally after a number of people were killed by falling gravestones.

Mari Whalley, co-ordinator of the Pleasington Cemetery Action Group, said around 500 people, who had spent on average between £75 and £100 on enforced repairs, had been sent letters inviting them to make a claim.

She said: “I have challenged the council for the last six years over this case and as a result they have acknowledged that one or two things were done wrong.

“As a gesture of goodwill they are going to reimburse those affected and within the next 12 months, repair the headstones that still need attention.

“There is also going to be a public apology.

“I am more than happy at the outcome and can only thank the officers of the council who worked with us.

“In a way it has taken too long to get here, but we have come to an agreement.”

Under the controversial topple testing procedure, ordered by the government amid fears of dangerously unstable gravestones, pressure of 35kg is applied to each stone, the force exerted by a person to pull themselves up from kneeling at the graveside.

If they move, the stones are branded ‘unsafe’ and covered with stickers and tape and attached to stakes.

Blackburn with Darwen Council had decided not to pay for repairs to headstones, leaving hundreds of families with costly bills.

But following the review it is now asking people affected to make a claim.

Sayyed Osman, director of environment, housing and neighbourhoods, said: “The council regrets the events which have unfolded, but is fully determined to rectify the issues as soon as possible.

“The general public can rest assured that the next phase of memorial testing will be carried out to the required standard.

“The Pleasington Cemetery Action Group, led by joint co-ordinators Mari Whalley and Mike Croasdale, brought this issue to the attention of the council, who gratefully acknowledge Mrs Whalley’s persistent approach to resolving this issue.

“The council wishes to apologise for the distress that this will inevitably have caused the families involved.

“As a gesture of goodwill the council wishes to reimburse all the grave owners who funded the repairs to their memorials in accordance with their instructions.

“If you or your family instructed a registered memorial mason to carry out this work, then please contact the cemetery office on0845 6066612 who will be happy to assist.

“Once an application has been verified then the family will be reimbursed.”

The decision will be rubber stamped at the council’s executive board meeting on January 17.

Comments (4)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:35pm Sat 5 Jan 13

Mon says...

Do the council have a list of all the graves that were taped up,as a lot of the headstones have had the tape cut off without having them re-set?
Do the council have a list of all the graves that were taped up,as a lot of the headstones have had the tape cut off without having them re-set? Mon
  • Score: 0

5:36pm Sat 5 Jan 13

iceman123 says...

this council is mad they should pay for it
this council is mad they should pay for it iceman123
  • Score: 0

1:31pm Sun 6 Jan 13

ste.g says...

i so one taped up that was only about 30inch high last week.
i so one taped up that was only about 30inch high last week. ste.g
  • Score: 0

11:01am Mon 7 Jan 13

rhapsody says...

A lot of the damage to the head stones and graves are due to the slip shod work carried out by the council grounds men. who use the large mowers and diggers showing little or no respect for the graves They should be more careful.I actually saw the damage that was done.the mower went over one grave leaving behind a broken ornament and leaving tyre tracks over the top of another grave more respect should be shown.
A lot of the damage to the head stones and graves are due to the slip shod work carried out by the council grounds men. who use the large mowers and diggers showing little or no respect for the graves They should be more careful.I actually saw the damage that was done.the mower went over one grave leaving behind a broken ornament and leaving tyre tracks over the top of another grave more respect should be shown. rhapsody
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree