Lancashire TelegraphExperts reflect on four years of Darwen Town Council (From Lancashire Telegraph)

When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.

Experts reflect on four years of Darwen Town Council

Lancashire Telegraph: BIGGEST EVENT Darwen Live (above) has put the town firmly on the map. Right, from top, Tony Melia and councillors Simon Huggill and Dave Smith BIGGEST EVENT Darwen Live (above) has put the town firmly on the map. Right, from top, Tony Melia and councillors Simon Huggill and Dave Smith

Four years ago, town hall chiefs in Blackburn approved the formation of a town council for Darwen. Reporter Dan Clough spoke to councillors past and present to learn how people felt Darwen Town Council had performed so far.

PEOPLE in Darwen are a very proud bunch.

So it comes as no surprise that the merging of the boroughs of Darwen and Blackburn left a nasty taste in some mouths.

And when serious suggestions of a new town council for Darwen arose in 2007, hopes of a return to independence from Blackburn were raised.

Blackburn with Darwen Council approved the creation of Darwen Town Council in December 2008 after a referendum in the town had voted in favour of it.

And the election results were announced the following June, with For Darwen Party councillors taking seven seats, the Liberal Democrats four and Labour and Conservatives one each.

In May this year, the second election took place, eliminating all For Darwen Party councillors and putting Labour in control with eight councillors to the Liberal Democrats’ five.

Of the councillors currently elected, 10 also sit on Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council.

Tony Melia, a councillor at the time who quit the Liberal Democrats to set up the For Darwen Party – whose key objective was to establish Darwen Town Council – said the aim was never to seek independence from Blackburn.

Mr Melia said: “It had been an idea of mine as far back as 1987.

“I think after 25 years of being ruled from Blackburn, the town was starting to lose its identity.

“I thought to move forward the town needed its own council and a lot of people jumped on the idea.

“But my big difficulty was that we couldn’t have an independent borough council.

“That was never my intention, although a lot said I wanted to bring social services and other borough services back to Darwen.

“But I knew from the beginning it would be too expensive and I didn’t see the point of it as it was going okay with Blackburn with Darwen Council.

“I wanted a town council that would run a number of events to get people into the town and bid for funding in the way a charitable organisation would.”

Mr Melia said he didn’t think the current council was doing as well as it could. He said: “It is a shame the councillors in there now don’t work hard enough.

“They don’t have ideas or the ‘get up and go’ to make it work how I envisaged it to work.

“The idea was that town councillors would not be borough councillors.

“There are a lot of borough councillors who are running committees and their agenda could help to save Blackburn with Darwen Council money.

“Another aspect is that the friends groups, such as the Friends of Sunnyhurst Wood, are being funded by the town council.

“We initially steered clear of jobs supposed to be done by Blackburn with Darwen Council.”

Marsh House town councillor Simon Huggill formerly served on Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council.

He was elected as a town councillor in May, one of three councillors who do not also sit on the borough council.

He said: “I don’t think the town council has woken up to its potential.

“It has a statutory role in planning, but we don’t discuss planning at our meetings.

“I get the sense that the emphasis is on supporting good causes and getting activities going in the town.

“That is a good start, but we need to move on and think what impact we could have.”

Coun Huggill, a Liberal Democrat, said one idea he had was to set up a trust that could hold land.

He said: “Working with the borough, we could hold land on a reversionary lease and take responsibility away from it.

“So if a piece of land came up, the borough could buy it but leave it to the trust to run it.

“The trust, which would be separate from the town council, could then put in bids for funding to improve facilities and things like that.

“And because it was on a reversionary lease, the borough could take it back if it needed to.”

Sunnyhurst councillor Dave Smith, who sits on both councils for the Labour Party, said the council was doing a good job for the town.

He said: “I was against it at the start as I thought it would be confusing as we already have a borough council and I was against having two mayors.

“But over the four years we have had a town council, we have seen massive cutbacks received by Blackburn with Darwen Council, which the town council has been able to help with.

“Things like Darwen Live wouldn’t have been able to continue if there wasn’t a town council.

“That is the biggest thing we do, after taking it over from the borough council, and I think the people in Darwen really appreciate that event.

“I think people in Darwen believe the town council represents good value for money.”

Comments (22)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:51am Wed 2 Jan 13

happycyclist says...

Darwen Live was an established event well before Darwen Town Council was set up.
Darwen Live was an established event well before Darwen Town Council was set up. happycyclist
  • Score: 0

12:20pm Wed 2 Jan 13

hasslem hasslem says...

Dave Smith "i think people in Darwen believe DTC represents good value for money"

classic obfuscation - it could be Shebby Singh talking "i think....i believe" so no statement of fact. what do the people of Darwen actually think?

Dave Smith (who i believe, or think i believe) is an excellent Councillor but is a classic politician grabbing anything he can. Dave Smith was dead set against DTC but stood in the original council election to have some say against 4D on the new council....now his lot have a majority, he believes (or thinks he believes) that DTC is a good think. Classic Animal Farm..four legs good, two legs better.

that's what i think, or believe i think - now what i understand...that's a different matter.
Dave Smith "i think people in Darwen believe DTC represents good value for money" classic obfuscation - it could be Shebby Singh talking "i think....i believe" so no statement of fact. what do the people of Darwen actually think? Dave Smith (who i believe, or think i believe) is an excellent Councillor but is a classic politician grabbing anything he can. Dave Smith was dead set against DTC but stood in the original council election to have some say against 4D on the new council....now his lot have a majority, he believes (or thinks he believes) that DTC is a good think. Classic Animal Farm..four legs good, two legs better. that's what i think, or believe i think - now what i understand...that's a different matter. hasslem hasslem
  • Score: 0

1:50pm Wed 2 Jan 13

Excluded again says...

Darwen Town Council was an expensive mistake. Many of the people voting for it in the referendum thought they were voting for an independent Darwen Council rather than a glorified Parish Council.

The problem is that, having been established as the result of a publc referendum, Darwen Town Council is going to be difficult and expensive to get rid of. The current Town Council seems to making the best of a bad job by picking up popular things like Darwen Music Live and the parks Friends Groups which would have been lost as Blackburn with Darwen was forced to make massive cuts to its budget.
Darwen Town Council was an expensive mistake. Many of the people voting for it in the referendum thought they were voting for an independent Darwen Council rather than a glorified Parish Council. The problem is that, having been established as the result of a publc referendum, Darwen Town Council is going to be difficult and expensive to get rid of. The current Town Council seems to making the best of a bad job by picking up popular things like Darwen Music Live and the parks Friends Groups which would have been lost as Blackburn with Darwen was forced to make massive cuts to its budget. Excluded again
  • Score: 0

2:31pm Wed 2 Jan 13

penninelad says...

hasslem hasslem wrote:
Dave Smith "i think people in Darwen believe DTC represents good value for moneyhasslem hasslem lives in Pendle and hasn't a clue what Cllr Smith has actually said. He is against parish councils yet goes along to help one in Pendle ! hasslem's comments make no sense either - ''a good think'' - what's that about ?!
[quote][p][bold]hasslem hasslem[/bold] wrote: Dave Smith "i think people in Darwen believe DTC represents good value for moneyhasslem hasslem lives in Pendle and hasn't a clue what Cllr Smith has actually said. He is against parish councils yet goes along to help one in Pendle ! hasslem's comments make no sense either - ''a good think'' - what's that about ?! penninelad
  • Score: 0

2:34pm Wed 2 Jan 13

penninelad says...

happycyclist wrote:
Darwen Live was an established event well before Darwen Town Council was set up.
Agreed. But because of the massive Govt cutbacks to BwD Council the funding for Darwen Live was halved. (the events in Blackburn were cut altogether). So Darwen Town Council agreed to put in the rest, - otherwise the event would have been much scaled down.
[quote][p][bold]happycyclist[/bold] wrote: Darwen Live was an established event well before Darwen Town Council was set up.[/p][/quote]Agreed. But because of the massive Govt cutbacks to BwD Council the funding for Darwen Live was halved. (the events in Blackburn were cut altogether). So Darwen Town Council agreed to put in the rest, - otherwise the event would have been much scaled down. penninelad
  • Score: 0

2:58pm Wed 2 Jan 13

happycyclist says...

penninelad wrote:
happycyclist wrote:
Darwen Live was an established event well before Darwen Town Council was set up.
Agreed. But because of the massive Govt cutbacks to BwD Council the funding for Darwen Live was halved. (the events in Blackburn were cut altogether). So Darwen Town Council agreed to put in the rest, - otherwise the event would have been much scaled down.
Point taken.
[quote][p][bold]penninelad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]happycyclist[/bold] wrote: Darwen Live was an established event well before Darwen Town Council was set up.[/p][/quote]Agreed. But because of the massive Govt cutbacks to BwD Council the funding for Darwen Live was halved. (the events in Blackburn were cut altogether). So Darwen Town Council agreed to put in the rest, - otherwise the event would have been much scaled down.[/p][/quote]Point taken. happycyclist
  • Score: 0

3:17pm Wed 2 Jan 13

Yankee Clipper says...

I've always felt that it was both a conflict of interest and quite farcical that a sitting member of the Darwen Town Council could also be an elected member of the Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council at the same time. If you want to be elected to one office, than that should exclude you from the other. This is yet another example of the wasteful nonsense which takes place within this local authority.
I've always felt that it was both a conflict of interest and quite farcical that a sitting member of the Darwen Town Council could also be an elected member of the Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council at the same time. If you want to be elected to one office, than that should exclude you from the other. This is yet another example of the wasteful nonsense which takes place within this local authority. Yankee Clipper
  • Score: 0

3:44pm Wed 2 Jan 13

Excluded again says...

Yankee Clipper wrote:
I've always felt that it was both a conflict of interest and quite farcical that a sitting member of the Darwen Town Council could also be an elected member of the Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council at the same time. If you want to be elected to one office, than that should exclude you from the other. This is yet another example of the wasteful nonsense which takes place within this local authority.
It is legal for a person to be a member of a Parish or Town Council and a Borough Council. As far as I know it always has been since Borough Councils were formed in the nineteenth century.

The voters elect Councillors to both bodies. Its in their hands whether they want to elect people to represent them on both Councils.
[quote][p][bold]Yankee Clipper[/bold] wrote: I've always felt that it was both a conflict of interest and quite farcical that a sitting member of the Darwen Town Council could also be an elected member of the Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council at the same time. If you want to be elected to one office, than that should exclude you from the other. This is yet another example of the wasteful nonsense which takes place within this local authority.[/p][/quote]It is legal for a person to be a member of a Parish or Town Council and a Borough Council. As far as I know it always has been since Borough Councils were formed in the nineteenth century. The voters elect Councillors to both bodies. Its in their hands whether they want to elect people to represent them on both Councils. Excluded again
  • Score: 0

3:50pm Wed 2 Jan 13

louderfasterlonger says...

Was it not Tony Melia who was elected for both ? Oh, and Cllrs Meleady, Jones, and Maxfield - FD Party Members at the time.
Was it not Tory Melia who sold his soul to the minor party coallition with the promise of BwDBC Deputy Leaders Office ?
Was it not the electorate who threw Tony Melia out of office in BwDBC ?
Two FD Party Councillors on Darwen Town Council defected part way through the tennure and all but one stood down in 2012.
That lone remnant of false and wild fantasies of New Football Grounds and Planetariums could only muster a handful of votes in Earcroft at the DTC Election.
Why is Tony Melia still spinning ?
It seems his FD Chums are the Lazy ones who couldn't hack another 4 years of work for very little reward.
As for Cllr Huggill, does he still believe in fairies that BwDBC have money to buy up vast pockets of land to thwart the developers that his Lib/Dems are intent on selling out to for executive housing projects ?
Eileen Entwistle Works her socks off for Darwen as Mayoress, as did Paul Browne before her (as Mayor)
Was it not Tony Melia who was elected for both ? Oh, and Cllrs Meleady, Jones, and Maxfield - FD Party Members at the time. Was it not Tory Melia who sold his soul to the minor party coallition with the promise of BwDBC Deputy Leaders Office ? Was it not the electorate who threw Tony Melia out of office in BwDBC ? Two FD Party Councillors on Darwen Town Council defected part way through the tennure and all but one stood down in 2012. That lone remnant of false and wild fantasies of New Football Grounds and Planetariums could only muster a handful of votes in Earcroft at the DTC Election. Why is Tony Melia still spinning ? It seems his FD Chums are the Lazy ones who couldn't hack another 4 years of work for very little reward. As for Cllr Huggill, does he still believe in fairies that BwDBC have money to buy up vast pockets of land to thwart the developers that his Lib/Dems are intent on selling out to for executive housing projects ? Eileen Entwistle Works her socks off for Darwen as Mayoress, as did Paul Browne before her (as Mayor) louderfasterlonger
  • Score: 0

4:37pm Wed 2 Jan 13

TONY WALES says...

Can I ask the question "experts reflect on 4 years of Darwen council"
All I read about is what various councillors think about Darwen during the last 4 years.
Can somebody please explain how, you can now be called an expert?
Do you have to have a degree, been on a training course, been in a certain job for so long, be over a certain age?
All the time in newspapers and on TV, we come across so called experts. Everybody if they can write their name correct, calls themselves an expert.
Should the general public not at least be told what experience and qualifications people have before they call themselves "experts"
Or do these "experts" call themselves "experts" to boost their own ego?
After all if this country has so many "experts" why is the country in such a mess?
Can I ask the question "experts reflect on 4 years of Darwen council" All I read about is what various councillors think about Darwen during the last 4 years. Can somebody please explain how, you can now be called an expert? Do you have to have a degree, been on a training course, been in a certain job for so long, be over a certain age? All the time in newspapers and on TV, we come across so called experts. Everybody if they can write their name correct, calls themselves an expert. Should the general public not at least be told what experience and qualifications people have before they call themselves "experts" Or do these "experts" call themselves "experts" to boost their own ego? After all if this country has so many "experts" why is the country in such a mess? TONY WALES
  • Score: 0

5:11pm Wed 2 Jan 13

CapitaBackHander says...

Pretty certain Dave isn't for the town council, in fact I would say proof is above re his post!
The town council have done nothing that the local elected councillors could and should have done while local councillors. Huge waste of money and to top it off we pay extra on our council tax. Hats off to Melia - he showed how naive people can be. I still remember trying to convince my neighbour that what he had been told was false.
Fact is most didn't vote for a Town council and whether that was because they thought there were not enough idiots to vote yes or they were lazy or both is a guess.
Pretty certain Dave isn't for the town council, in fact I would say proof is above re his post! The town council have done nothing that the local elected councillors could and should have done while local councillors. Huge waste of money and to top it off we pay extra on our council tax. Hats off to Melia - he showed how naive people can be. I still remember trying to convince my neighbour that what he had been told was false. Fact is most didn't vote for a Town council and whether that was because they thought there were not enough idiots to vote yes or they were lazy or both is a guess. CapitaBackHander
  • Score: 0

5:38pm Wed 2 Jan 13

hasslem hasslem says...

CapitaBackHander wrote:
Pretty certain Dave isn't for the town council, in fact I would say proof is above re his post!
The town council have done nothing that the local elected councillors could and should have done while local councillors. Huge waste of money and to top it off we pay extra on our council tax. Hats off to Melia - he showed how naive people can be. I still remember trying to convince my neighbour that what he had been told was false.
Fact is most didn't vote for a Town council and whether that was because they thought there were not enough idiots to vote yes or they were lazy or both is a guess.
i am absolutely certain that smithy WAS against DTC, but equally i am absolutely certain that now labour is in power that he will do absolutely nothing to get rid of it. it is as i mentioned previously classic animal farm.

dtc gets £100k all from precept on darwen households council tax. how much does the music festival cost dtc

the argument that smithy and his pal excluded again make is that it is expensive to get rid of but this would be a one off cost whilst the locals in darwen will be paying circa £100k every year til infinity whilst it stays.

reality is that it struggles to find £100k to spend money on after music fest - how much is left?......they can't even get the replicas of darwen tower made.

question to dave - would he be so keen to keep it on DTC if the tories were in power?
[quote][p][bold]CapitaBackHander[/bold] wrote: Pretty certain Dave isn't for the town council, in fact I would say proof is above re his post! The town council have done nothing that the local elected councillors could and should have done while local councillors. Huge waste of money and to top it off we pay extra on our council tax. Hats off to Melia - he showed how naive people can be. I still remember trying to convince my neighbour that what he had been told was false. Fact is most didn't vote for a Town council and whether that was because they thought there were not enough idiots to vote yes or they were lazy or both is a guess.[/p][/quote]i am absolutely certain that smithy WAS against DTC, but equally i am absolutely certain that now labour is in power that he will do absolutely nothing to get rid of it. it is as i mentioned previously classic animal farm. dtc gets £100k all from precept on darwen households council tax. how much does the music festival cost dtc the argument that smithy and his pal excluded again make is that it is expensive to get rid of but this would be a one off cost whilst the locals in darwen will be paying circa £100k every year til infinity whilst it stays. reality is that it struggles to find £100k to spend money on after music fest - how much is left?......they can't even get the replicas of darwen tower made. question to dave - would he be so keen to keep it on DTC if the tories were in power? hasslem hasslem
  • Score: 0

7:54pm Wed 2 Jan 13

rovers2008 says...

Im not particularly for or against the DTC but from what i have seen and read in recent months they seem to be doing a good job for us Darwenners! They are in the main local people who are prepared to give up their own time to talk to us (and yes I know they get paid - but certainly not enough for what they actually get involved in!) - unlike the faceless Blackburn with Darwen Councillors who look after their own ie Blackburn! Its certainly better now that the For Darwen Party and their "dubious" aims are no more!
Im not particularly for or against the DTC but from what i have seen and read in recent months they seem to be doing a good job for us Darwenners! They are in the main local people who are prepared to give up their own time to talk to us (and yes I know they get paid - but certainly not enough for what they actually get involved in!) - unlike the faceless Blackburn with Darwen Councillors who look after their own ie Blackburn! Its certainly better now that the For Darwen Party and their "dubious" aims are no more! rovers2008
  • Score: 0

8:26pm Wed 2 Jan 13

hasslem hasslem says...

rovers2008 wrote:
Im not particularly for or against the DTC but from what i have seen and read in recent months they seem to be doing a good job for us Darwenners! They are in the main local people who are prepared to give up their own time to talk to us (and yes I know they get paid - but certainly not enough for what they actually get involved in!) - unlike the faceless Blackburn with Darwen Councillors who look after their own ie Blackburn! Its certainly better now that the For Darwen Party and their "dubious" aims are no more!
ironically, in their defence - they don't get paid
[quote][p][bold]rovers2008[/bold] wrote: Im not particularly for or against the DTC but from what i have seen and read in recent months they seem to be doing a good job for us Darwenners! They are in the main local people who are prepared to give up their own time to talk to us (and yes I know they get paid - but certainly not enough for what they actually get involved in!) - unlike the faceless Blackburn with Darwen Councillors who look after their own ie Blackburn! Its certainly better now that the For Darwen Party and their "dubious" aims are no more![/p][/quote]ironically, in their defence - they don't get paid hasslem hasslem
  • Score: 0

9:20pm Wed 2 Jan 13

english rose 1 says...

hasslem hasslem wrote:
CapitaBackHander wrote:
Pretty certain Dave isn't for the town council, in fact I would say proof is above re his post!
The town council have done nothing that the local elected councillors could and should have done while local councillors. Huge waste of money and to top it off we pay extra on our council tax. Hats off to Melia - he showed how naive people can be. I still remember trying to convince my neighbour that what he had been told was false.
Fact is most didn't vote for a Town council and whether that was because they thought there were not enough idiots to vote yes or they were lazy or both is a guess.
i am absolutely certain that smithy WAS against DTC, but equally i am absolutely certain that now labour is in power that he will do absolutely nothing to get rid of it. it is as i mentioned previously classic animal farm.

dtc gets £100k all from precept on darwen households council tax. how much does the music festival cost dtc

the argument that smithy and his pal excluded again make is that it is expensive to get rid of but this would be a one off cost whilst the locals in darwen will be paying circa £100k every year til infinity whilst it stays.

reality is that it struggles to find £100k to spend money on after music fest - how much is left?......they can't even get the replicas of darwen tower made.

question to dave - would he be so keen to keep it on DTC if the tories were in power?
In order to get rid of the Town Council it would need another referendum. It would be totally irresponsible to waste another £35,000 of taxpayers dosh - and no certainty of the outcome at all. What if folk voted 'yes' again ?
*
If blatantly wasting £35,000 is in Animal Farm then I'm against it !
*
Whether Hasslem likes it or not the majority of folk voting in the referendum voted 'yes'.
*
Is Hasslem doing anything at all to get rid of his parish council in Pendle ?? Or is it the case that he is in favour of parish councils in Pendle but against that in Darwen ?
*
The budget of DTC is about £130,000 per annum. The music festival costs about £35,000.
[quote][p][bold]hasslem hasslem[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]CapitaBackHander[/bold] wrote: Pretty certain Dave isn't for the town council, in fact I would say proof is above re his post! The town council have done nothing that the local elected councillors could and should have done while local councillors. Huge waste of money and to top it off we pay extra on our council tax. Hats off to Melia - he showed how naive people can be. I still remember trying to convince my neighbour that what he had been told was false. Fact is most didn't vote for a Town council and whether that was because they thought there were not enough idiots to vote yes or they were lazy or both is a guess.[/p][/quote]i am absolutely certain that smithy WAS against DTC, but equally i am absolutely certain that now labour is in power that he will do absolutely nothing to get rid of it. it is as i mentioned previously classic animal farm. dtc gets £100k all from precept on darwen households council tax. how much does the music festival cost dtc the argument that smithy and his pal excluded again make is that it is expensive to get rid of but this would be a one off cost whilst the locals in darwen will be paying circa £100k every year til infinity whilst it stays. reality is that it struggles to find £100k to spend money on after music fest - how much is left?......they can't even get the replicas of darwen tower made. question to dave - would he be so keen to keep it on DTC if the tories were in power?[/p][/quote]In order to get rid of the Town Council it would need another referendum. It would be totally irresponsible to waste another £35,000 of taxpayers dosh - and no certainty of the outcome at all. What if folk voted 'yes' again ? * If blatantly wasting £35,000 is in Animal Farm then I'm against it ! * Whether Hasslem likes it or not the majority of folk voting in the referendum voted 'yes'. * Is Hasslem doing anything at all to get rid of his parish council in Pendle ?? Or is it the case that he is in favour of parish councils in Pendle but against that in Darwen ? * The budget of DTC is about £130,000 per annum. The music festival costs about £35,000. english rose 1
  • Score: 0

10:12pm Wed 2 Jan 13

Dai Darwen says...

TONY WALES wrote:
Can I ask the question "experts reflect on 4 years of Darwen council" All I read about is what various councillors think about Darwen during the last 4 years. Can somebody please explain how, you can now be called an expert? Do you have to have a degree, been on a training course, been in a certain job for so long, be over a certain age? All the time in newspapers and on TV, we come across so called experts. Everybody if they can write their name correct, calls themselves an expert. Should the general public not at least be told what experience and qualifications people have before they call themselves "experts" Or do these "experts" call themselves "experts" to boost their own ego? After all if this country has so many "experts" why is the country in such a mess?
TONY WALES

I think it is a misprint and should read Ex pert.
[quote][p][bold]TONY WALES[/bold] wrote: Can I ask the question "experts reflect on 4 years of Darwen council" All I read about is what various councillors think about Darwen during the last 4 years. Can somebody please explain how, you can now be called an expert? Do you have to have a degree, been on a training course, been in a certain job for so long, be over a certain age? All the time in newspapers and on TV, we come across so called experts. Everybody if they can write their name correct, calls themselves an expert. Should the general public not at least be told what experience and qualifications people have before they call themselves "experts" Or do these "experts" call themselves "experts" to boost their own ego? After all if this country has so many "experts" why is the country in such a mess?[/p][/quote]TONY WALES I think it is a misprint and should read Ex pert. Dai Darwen
  • Score: 0

10:54pm Wed 2 Jan 13

hasslem hasslem says...

english rose 1 wrote:
hasslem hasslem wrote:
CapitaBackHander wrote:
Pretty certain Dave isn't for the town council, in fact I would say proof is above re his post!
The town council have done nothing that the local elected councillors could and should have done while local councillors. Huge waste of money and to top it off we pay extra on our council tax. Hats off to Melia - he showed how naive people can be. I still remember trying to convince my neighbour that what he had been told was false.
Fact is most didn't vote for a Town council and whether that was because they thought there were not enough idiots to vote yes or they were lazy or both is a guess.
i am absolutely certain that smithy WAS against DTC, but equally i am absolutely certain that now labour is in power that he will do absolutely nothing to get rid of it. it is as i mentioned previously classic animal farm.

dtc gets £100k all from precept on darwen households council tax. how much does the music festival cost dtc

the argument that smithy and his pal excluded again make is that it is expensive to get rid of but this would be a one off cost whilst the locals in darwen will be paying circa £100k every year til infinity whilst it stays.

reality is that it struggles to find £100k to spend money on after music fest - how much is left?......they can't even get the replicas of darwen tower made.

question to dave - would he be so keen to keep it on DTC if the tories were in power?
In order to get rid of the Town Council it would need another referendum. It would be totally irresponsible to waste another £35,000 of taxpayers dosh - and no certainty of the outcome at all. What if folk voted 'yes' again ?
*
If blatantly wasting £35,000 is in Animal Farm then I'm against it !
*
Whether Hasslem likes it or not the majority of folk voting in the referendum voted 'yes'.
*
Is Hasslem doing anything at all to get rid of his parish council in Pendle ?? Or is it the case that he is in favour of parish councils in Pendle but against that in Darwen ?
*
The budget of DTC is about £130,000 per annum. The music festival costs about £35,000.
1) the article is about DTC - nothing to do with pendle - don't know why you keep going on about it......classic political obfuscation - you could almost be dave smith
2) £35k to have a referendum is buttons compared to the DTC budget of £130k per anum ad infinitum.
3) DTC struggles to find things to spend its £130k on - why don't you have a pram race or some gravy wrestling or tripe eating contest?
4) both you and pennine lad seem well connected to dave smith - why don't you ask him what his opinion is? - last time i spoke to him about it he was saying that it would eventually fade away - how can it do that if you keep taking £130k pa?
5) if the people voted to get rid then the £35k would be well spent and save the council tax paying household at least £9-10 every year for the next n years (when n = a large number, i take it that mathematics is not your strong point)
6) presumably with the demise of 4D nobody from the main parties would actively campaign for the continued existence of DTC - i assume that tories would want to remove a layer of bureaucracy, and labour would look to centralise into BwDC (dunno about libdems)
7) why does david smith say that he believes that darreners think that DTC offers good value for money when he has no idea what the people of darwen think?
8) at the budget setting meeting - is the £130k allocated or does the council look to spend it on an ad-hoc basis throughout the year?
9) is darwen labour party now in favour of DTC after denegrating it and its concept for aeons?
10) don't you find it strange that dave smith has changed his mind - its a bit like kinnock being anti-europe and then becoming a European Commissioner and then VP of European Commission.

FOUR LEGS GOOD - TWO LEGS BETTER.

don't go on about anything in pendle - it makes you look stupid
[quote][p][bold]english rose 1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hasslem hasslem[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]CapitaBackHander[/bold] wrote: Pretty certain Dave isn't for the town council, in fact I would say proof is above re his post! The town council have done nothing that the local elected councillors could and should have done while local councillors. Huge waste of money and to top it off we pay extra on our council tax. Hats off to Melia - he showed how naive people can be. I still remember trying to convince my neighbour that what he had been told was false. Fact is most didn't vote for a Town council and whether that was because they thought there were not enough idiots to vote yes or they were lazy or both is a guess.[/p][/quote]i am absolutely certain that smithy WAS against DTC, but equally i am absolutely certain that now labour is in power that he will do absolutely nothing to get rid of it. it is as i mentioned previously classic animal farm. dtc gets £100k all from precept on darwen households council tax. how much does the music festival cost dtc the argument that smithy and his pal excluded again make is that it is expensive to get rid of but this would be a one off cost whilst the locals in darwen will be paying circa £100k every year til infinity whilst it stays. reality is that it struggles to find £100k to spend money on after music fest - how much is left?......they can't even get the replicas of darwen tower made. question to dave - would he be so keen to keep it on DTC if the tories were in power?[/p][/quote]In order to get rid of the Town Council it would need another referendum. It would be totally irresponsible to waste another £35,000 of taxpayers dosh - and no certainty of the outcome at all. What if folk voted 'yes' again ? * If blatantly wasting £35,000 is in Animal Farm then I'm against it ! * Whether Hasslem likes it or not the majority of folk voting in the referendum voted 'yes'. * Is Hasslem doing anything at all to get rid of his parish council in Pendle ?? Or is it the case that he is in favour of parish councils in Pendle but against that in Darwen ? * The budget of DTC is about £130,000 per annum. The music festival costs about £35,000.[/p][/quote]1) the article is about DTC - nothing to do with pendle - don't know why you keep going on about it......classic political obfuscation - you could almost be dave smith 2) £35k to have a referendum is buttons compared to the DTC budget of £130k per anum ad infinitum. 3) DTC struggles to find things to spend its £130k on - why don't you have a pram race or some gravy wrestling or tripe eating contest? 4) both you and pennine lad seem well connected to dave smith - why don't you ask him what his opinion is? - last time i spoke to him about it he was saying that it would eventually fade away - how can it do that if you keep taking £130k pa? 5) if the people voted to get rid then the £35k would be well spent and save the council tax paying household at least £9-10 every year for the next n years (when n = a large number, i take it that mathematics is not your strong point) 6) presumably with the demise of 4D nobody from the main parties would actively campaign for the continued existence of DTC - i assume that tories would want to remove a layer of bureaucracy, and labour would look to centralise into BwDC (dunno about libdems) 7) why does david smith say that he believes that darreners think that DTC offers good value for money when he has no idea what the people of darwen think? 8) at the budget setting meeting - is the £130k allocated or does the council look to spend it on an ad-hoc basis throughout the year? 9) is darwen labour party now in favour of DTC after denegrating it and its concept for aeons? 10) don't you find it strange that dave smith has changed his mind - its a bit like kinnock being anti-europe and then becoming a European Commissioner and then VP of European Commission. FOUR LEGS GOOD - TWO LEGS BETTER. don't go on about anything in pendle - it makes you look stupid hasslem hasslem
  • Score: 0

11:52pm Wed 2 Jan 13

hasslem hasslem says...

english rose 1 wrote:
hasslem hasslem wrote:
CapitaBackHander wrote:
Pretty certain Dave isn't for the town council, in fact I would say proof is above re his post!
The town council have done nothing that the local elected councillors could and should have done while local councillors. Huge waste of money and to top it off we pay extra on our council tax. Hats off to Melia - he showed how naive people can be. I still remember trying to convince my neighbour that what he had been told was false.
Fact is most didn't vote for a Town council and whether that was because they thought there were not enough idiots to vote yes or they were lazy or both is a guess.
i am absolutely certain that smithy WAS against DTC, but equally i am absolutely certain that now labour is in power that he will do absolutely nothing to get rid of it. it is as i mentioned previously classic animal farm.

dtc gets £100k all from precept on darwen households council tax. how much does the music festival cost dtc

the argument that smithy and his pal excluded again make is that it is expensive to get rid of but this would be a one off cost whilst the locals in darwen will be paying circa £100k every year til infinity whilst it stays.

reality is that it struggles to find £100k to spend money on after music fest - how much is left?......they can't even get the replicas of darwen tower made.

question to dave - would he be so keen to keep it on DTC if the tories were in power?
In order to get rid of the Town Council it would need another referendum. It would be totally irresponsible to waste another £35,000 of taxpayers dosh - and no certainty of the outcome at all. What if folk voted 'yes' again ?
*
If blatantly wasting £35,000 is in Animal Farm then I'm against it !
*
Whether Hasslem likes it or not the majority of folk voting in the referendum voted 'yes'.
*
Is Hasslem doing anything at all to get rid of his parish council in Pendle ?? Or is it the case that he is in favour of parish councils in Pendle but against that in Darwen ?
*
The budget of DTC is about £130,000 per annum. The music festival costs about £35,000.
and while we are at it - what happened to the replica darwen tower models that we were promised......"we lost the mould" that was 3 years ago, what is the excuse now.

p.iss-up in a brewery. bet you don't even know what school james beattie went to
[quote][p][bold]english rose 1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hasslem hasslem[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]CapitaBackHander[/bold] wrote: Pretty certain Dave isn't for the town council, in fact I would say proof is above re his post! The town council have done nothing that the local elected councillors could and should have done while local councillors. Huge waste of money and to top it off we pay extra on our council tax. Hats off to Melia - he showed how naive people can be. I still remember trying to convince my neighbour that what he had been told was false. Fact is most didn't vote for a Town council and whether that was because they thought there were not enough idiots to vote yes or they were lazy or both is a guess.[/p][/quote]i am absolutely certain that smithy WAS against DTC, but equally i am absolutely certain that now labour is in power that he will do absolutely nothing to get rid of it. it is as i mentioned previously classic animal farm. dtc gets £100k all from precept on darwen households council tax. how much does the music festival cost dtc the argument that smithy and his pal excluded again make is that it is expensive to get rid of but this would be a one off cost whilst the locals in darwen will be paying circa £100k every year til infinity whilst it stays. reality is that it struggles to find £100k to spend money on after music fest - how much is left?......they can't even get the replicas of darwen tower made. question to dave - would he be so keen to keep it on DTC if the tories were in power?[/p][/quote]In order to get rid of the Town Council it would need another referendum. It would be totally irresponsible to waste another £35,000 of taxpayers dosh - and no certainty of the outcome at all. What if folk voted 'yes' again ? * If blatantly wasting £35,000 is in Animal Farm then I'm against it ! * Whether Hasslem likes it or not the majority of folk voting in the referendum voted 'yes'. * Is Hasslem doing anything at all to get rid of his parish council in Pendle ?? Or is it the case that he is in favour of parish councils in Pendle but against that in Darwen ? * The budget of DTC is about £130,000 per annum. The music festival costs about £35,000.[/p][/quote]and while we are at it - what happened to the replica darwen tower models that we were promised......"we lost the mould" that was 3 years ago, what is the excuse now. p.iss-up in a brewery. bet you don't even know what school james beattie went to hasslem hasslem
  • Score: 0

2:33am Thu 3 Jan 13

english rose 1 says...

Crikey hasslem - you do spout some daft stuff !

1) are you in favour of parish councils - yes or no ?? Easy question isn't it ?

2) the political parties stance going into the referendum was: FD for the TC. Darwen LD's against (except Paul Browne). Darwen Labour said it would respect the outcome of the referendum either way. Cons - no position expressed.

3) Coun Huggill (LD's) is working on the replica Towers. I'm sure they will soon be available for you to purchase. How many do you want ?

4) your quote from Orwell is tiresome, irrelevant and most folk have not got a clue what you are on about.

5) most Councillors elected to the TC are in favour of it - so no chance of a referendum.

6) if there was ever a referendum what happens if there is another 'yes' vote ? Keep having them until the electorate answer 'no' ? How often ?

7) folk voting in the referendum were told how much it would cost a year in extra council tax - and the powers of the TC. A leaflet from BwD was delivered to every household in the voting area. And the vote was 'yes'. Just because we disagree with the concept does not mean that you then disrespect the voters choice.

8) A good proportion of the £130k is allocated at the budget meeting. Some is allocated during the year. In 2012/13 for eg. £25k Music Festival. £25k other festivals. £15k grants. £35k election costs. £25k Parks improvements.

9) Do you Mr Webster know how much YOU pay towards your local parish Council ? Is it good value ? Have you changed your mind since getting involved in its workings ? Maybe I should campaign for its abolition !
Crikey hasslem - you do spout some daft stuff ! 1) are you in favour of parish councils - yes or no ?? Easy question isn't it ? 2) the political parties stance going into the referendum was: FD for the TC. Darwen LD's against (except Paul Browne). Darwen Labour said it would respect the outcome of the referendum either way. Cons - no position expressed. 3) Coun Huggill (LD's) is working on the replica Towers. I'm sure they will soon be available for you to purchase. How many do you want ? 4) your quote from Orwell is tiresome, irrelevant and most folk have not got a clue what you are on about. 5) most Councillors elected to the TC are in favour of it - so no chance of a referendum. 6) if there was ever a referendum what happens if there is another 'yes' vote ? Keep having them until the electorate answer 'no' ? How often ? 7) folk voting in the referendum were told how much it would cost a year in extra council tax - and the powers of the TC. A leaflet from BwD was delivered to every household in the voting area. And the vote was 'yes'. Just because we disagree with the concept does not mean that you then disrespect the voters choice. 8) A good proportion of the £130k is allocated at the budget meeting. Some is allocated during the year. In 2012/13 for eg. £25k Music Festival. £25k other festivals. £15k grants. £35k election costs. £25k Parks improvements. 9) Do you Mr Webster know how much YOU pay towards your local parish Council ? Is it good value ? Have you changed your mind since getting involved in its workings ? Maybe I should campaign for its abolition ! english rose 1
  • Score: 0

8:16am Thu 3 Jan 13

hasslem hasslem says...

dave smith - why do you name me?

why do you dave smith have so many aliases on this site? pennine lad is your latest incarnation i know english rose is another, but frankly i struggle to keep up with the number of monikers you use. are you grant shapps in disguise?

i repeat pendle has nothing to do with the article - so button it smithy.
politicians classically answer a question with another question.

why do you say that dtc will eventually fade away and yet back it in this article- surely if you disagree with it, you should be campaigning for its abolition or at least be honest to everyone with your view of the council.

FOUR LEGS GOOD - TWO LEGS BETTER.

Maybe your next name should be Napoleon

what utter nonsense saying that the people of darwen are incapable of understanding literary references - are you saying darreners cannot read? whatever next? you will be saying they can't swim.....sorry, forgot you have already said that in a council meeting.

"Expert" we all know that in algebra "x" is an unknown quantity and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure.
dave smith - why do you name me? why do you dave smith have so many aliases on this site? pennine lad is your latest incarnation i know english rose is another, but frankly i struggle to keep up with the number of monikers you use. are you grant shapps in disguise? i repeat pendle has nothing to do with the article - so button it smithy. politicians classically answer a question with another question. why do you say that dtc will eventually fade away and yet back it in this article- surely if you disagree with it, you should be campaigning for its abolition or at least be honest to everyone with your view of the council. FOUR LEGS GOOD - TWO LEGS BETTER. Maybe your next name should be Napoleon what utter nonsense saying that the people of darwen are incapable of understanding literary references - are you saying darreners cannot read? whatever next? you will be saying they can't swim.....sorry, forgot you have already said that in a council meeting. "Expert" we all know that in algebra "x" is an unknown quantity and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure. hasslem hasslem
  • Score: 0

9:27am Thu 3 Jan 13

happycyclist says...

english rose 1 wrote:
Crikey hasslem - you do spout some daft stuff !

1) are you in favour of parish councils - yes or no ?? Easy question isn't it ?

2) the political parties stance going into the referendum was: FD for the TC. Darwen LD's against (except Paul Browne). Darwen Labour said it would respect the outcome of the referendum either way. Cons - no position expressed.

3) Coun Huggill (LD's) is working on the replica Towers. I'm sure they will soon be available for you to purchase. How many do you want ?

4) your quote from Orwell is tiresome, irrelevant and most folk have not got a clue what you are on about.

5) most Councillors elected to the TC are in favour of it - so no chance of a referendum.

6) if there was ever a referendum what happens if there is another 'yes' vote ? Keep having them until the electorate answer 'no' ? How often ?

7) folk voting in the referendum were told how much it would cost a year in extra council tax - and the powers of the TC. A leaflet from BwD was delivered to every household in the voting area. And the vote was 'yes'. Just because we disagree with the concept does not mean that you then disrespect the voters choice.

8) A good proportion of the £130k is allocated at the budget meeting. Some is allocated during the year. In 2012/13 for eg. £25k Music Festival. £25k other festivals. £15k grants. £35k election costs. £25k Parks improvements.

9) Do you Mr Webster know how much YOU pay towards your local parish Council ? Is it good value ? Have you changed your mind since getting involved in its workings ? Maybe I should campaign for its abolition !
This post is out of order. Reported.
[quote][p][bold]english rose 1[/bold] wrote: Crikey hasslem - you do spout some daft stuff ! 1) are you in favour of parish councils - yes or no ?? Easy question isn't it ? 2) the political parties stance going into the referendum was: FD for the TC. Darwen LD's against (except Paul Browne). Darwen Labour said it would respect the outcome of the referendum either way. Cons - no position expressed. 3) Coun Huggill (LD's) is working on the replica Towers. I'm sure they will soon be available for you to purchase. How many do you want ? 4) your quote from Orwell is tiresome, irrelevant and most folk have not got a clue what you are on about. 5) most Councillors elected to the TC are in favour of it - so no chance of a referendum. 6) if there was ever a referendum what happens if there is another 'yes' vote ? Keep having them until the electorate answer 'no' ? How often ? 7) folk voting in the referendum were told how much it would cost a year in extra council tax - and the powers of the TC. A leaflet from BwD was delivered to every household in the voting area. And the vote was 'yes'. Just because we disagree with the concept does not mean that you then disrespect the voters choice. 8) A good proportion of the £130k is allocated at the budget meeting. Some is allocated during the year. In 2012/13 for eg. £25k Music Festival. £25k other festivals. £15k grants. £35k election costs. £25k Parks improvements. 9) Do you Mr Webster know how much YOU pay towards your local parish Council ? Is it good value ? Have you changed your mind since getting involved in its workings ? Maybe I should campaign for its abolition ![/p][/quote]This post is out of order. Reported. happycyclist
  • Score: 0

1:00pm Thu 3 Jan 13

english rose 1 says...

hasslem hasslem wrote:
dave smith - why do you name me?

why do you dave smith have so many aliases on this site? pennine lad is your latest incarnation i know english rose is another, but frankly i struggle to keep up with the number of monikers you use. are you grant shapps in disguise?

i repeat pendle has nothing to do with the article - so button it smithy.
politicians classically answer a question with another question.

why do you say that dtc will eventually fade away and yet back it in this article- surely if you disagree with it, you should be campaigning for its abolition or at least be honest to everyone with your view of the council.

FOUR LEGS GOOD - TWO LEGS BETTER.

Maybe your next name should be Napoleon

what utter nonsense saying that the people of darwen are incapable of understanding literary references - are you saying darreners cannot read? whatever next? you will be saying they can't swim.....sorry, forgot you have already said that in a council meeting.

"Expert" we all know that in algebra "x" is an unknown quantity and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure.
If 'Squealer' hasslem read my last post I simply asked ''are you in favour of parish councils''. Yes or no ?
*
Maybe your next name should be Michael Howard as he was incapable of answering a simple question from Paxman.
*
I would say that about 85% of folk would not be able to reference your daft and oft repeated quote.
[quote][p][bold]hasslem hasslem[/bold] wrote: dave smith - why do you name me? why do you dave smith have so many aliases on this site? pennine lad is your latest incarnation i know english rose is another, but frankly i struggle to keep up with the number of monikers you use. are you grant shapps in disguise? i repeat pendle has nothing to do with the article - so button it smithy. politicians classically answer a question with another question. why do you say that dtc will eventually fade away and yet back it in this article- surely if you disagree with it, you should be campaigning for its abolition or at least be honest to everyone with your view of the council. FOUR LEGS GOOD - TWO LEGS BETTER. Maybe your next name should be Napoleon what utter nonsense saying that the people of darwen are incapable of understanding literary references - are you saying darreners cannot read? whatever next? you will be saying they can't swim.....sorry, forgot you have already said that in a council meeting. "Expert" we all know that in algebra "x" is an unknown quantity and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure.[/p][/quote]If 'Squealer' hasslem read my last post I simply asked ''are you in favour of parish councils''. Yes or no ? * Maybe your next name should be Michael Howard as he was incapable of answering a simple question from Paxman. * I would say that about 85% of folk would not be able to reference your daft and oft repeated quote. english rose 1
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree