Demand soaring for Darwen food charity

Ashley Meadowcroft, 16, who is staying at the Nightsafe centre, with Food Larder founder Zillah Griffin

Ashley Meadowcroft, 16, who is staying at the Nightsafe centre, with Food Larder founder Zillah Griffin

First published in News Lancashire Telegraph: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter

A CHARITY which gives out food to poverty-stricken people in Darwen has seen a dramatic rise in the number of people needing to use its service.

The Food Larder was set up 17 years ago by Zillah Griffin, who saw a need in the town after retiring from her job as a health visitor in Blackburn.

The group, which started with five volunteers and now has 13, takes donations of food from churches.

Last year, the group gave food parcels to 87 people, but that has risen to 212 this year, and next year could be even worse, it is feared.

Mrs Griffin said: “I found there were problems with benefits books, particularly when there were changes to family circumstances.

“The books would be taken away and wouldn’t come back when expected, leaving families without money.

“One family had nothing for Christmas and there was nowhere open to help them, so I went and got food for them.

“Then I got the idea in my head that this might be something I could do when I was retired.”

For the past two years, the group has used a Nightsafe centre which houses young homeless people as its base.

This means they have a large kitchen to prepare meals and a good-sized storage area for the food.

The group has also been boosted by the arrival of Carolyn Newell, who started cooking full meals in September which are then put in trays and frozen.

Mrs Newell said: “I cook things like stews, curries and chillis, anything you can make a big pot of.

“It works better as a lot of the people using the service can’t cook.

“I will be doing about 50 Christmas dinners over the festive period as well.”

People can refer themselves or others to the Food Larder by calling 01254 705120, 24 hours a day.

Comments (10)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:24pm Wed 19 Dec 12

karltop says...

"Needing" to use it, or wanting to use it. The two are different..
"Needing" to use it, or wanting to use it. The two are different.. karltop
  • Score: 0

9:14pm Wed 19 Dec 12

frank says...

it's great that people will set up these food bank places but it's a sad reflection on a government that makes them necessary.
it's great that people will set up these food bank places but it's a sad reflection on a government that makes them necessary. frank
  • Score: 0

10:55pm Wed 19 Dec 12

workaholic says...

Well done ! Thank god someone cares!
Well done ! Thank god someone cares! workaholic
  • Score: 0

11:16pm Wed 19 Dec 12

2 for 5p says...

frank wrote:
it's great that people will set up these food bank places but it's a sad reflection on a government that makes them necessary.
why the government gives them benefit money.
what do you suggest give them more and tax the rest of us more .
[quote][p][bold]frank[/bold] wrote: it's great that people will set up these food bank places but it's a sad reflection on a government that makes them necessary.[/p][/quote]why the government gives them benefit money. what do you suggest give them more and tax the rest of us more . 2 for 5p
  • Score: 0

1:13am Thu 20 Dec 12

english rose 1 says...

Yes ! I for one don't mind paying more tax to have a decent society ! We have seen the benefits bill soar under this stupid govt because of the poverty, extra unemployment, part time working etc.
*
Most benefits goes to pensioners - I don't mind paying taxes to see a decent standard of living in old age as I'll be a pensioner one day !
*
What this Govt is doing is giving people less as well as taxing them more ! (except for the super rich of course).
*
Yes ! I for one don't mind paying more tax to have a decent society ! We have seen the benefits bill soar under this stupid govt because of the poverty, extra unemployment, part time working etc. * Most benefits goes to pensioners - I don't mind paying taxes to see a decent standard of living in old age as I'll be a pensioner one day ! * What this Govt is doing is giving people less as well as taxing them more ! (except for the super rich of course). * english rose 1
  • Score: 0

8:04am Thu 20 Dec 12

Excluded again says...

workaholic wrote:
Well done ! Thank god someone cares!
No, just don't give them less.

And don't stop benefits for weeks when there is a change in someone's circumstances or when there is a review.

One of the worst is disability benefits. When ATOS do a 'medical' review they frequently decide someone who is not fit for work is fit for work. The person wins on appeal, but while the appeal is going on, their disability benefits are stopped and they have no money. Its a sneaky way of the government saving money even from those who genuinely do need the benefits.
[quote][p][bold]workaholic[/bold] wrote: Well done ! Thank god someone cares![/p][/quote]No, just don't give them less. And don't stop benefits for weeks when there is a change in someone's circumstances or when there is a review. One of the worst is disability benefits. When ATOS do a 'medical' review they frequently decide someone who is not fit for work is fit for work. The person wins on appeal, but while the appeal is going on, their disability benefits are stopped and they have no money. Its a sneaky way of the government saving money even from those who genuinely do need the benefits. Excluded again
  • Score: 0

2:52pm Thu 20 Dec 12

happycyclist says...

Excluded again wrote:
workaholic wrote:
Well done ! Thank god someone cares!
No, just don't give them less.

And don't stop benefits for weeks when there is a change in someone's circumstances or when there is a review.

One of the worst is disability benefits. When ATOS do a 'medical' review they frequently decide someone who is not fit for work is fit for work. The person wins on appeal, but while the appeal is going on, their disability benefits are stopped and they have no money. Its a sneaky way of the government saving money even from those who genuinely do need the benefits.
ATOS don't make the decisions, they just complete reports, which are then sent to decision-makers at DWP/Jobcentreplus
[quote][p][bold]Excluded again[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]workaholic[/bold] wrote: Well done ! Thank god someone cares![/p][/quote]No, just don't give them less. And don't stop benefits for weeks when there is a change in someone's circumstances or when there is a review. One of the worst is disability benefits. When ATOS do a 'medical' review they frequently decide someone who is not fit for work is fit for work. The person wins on appeal, but while the appeal is going on, their disability benefits are stopped and they have no money. Its a sneaky way of the government saving money even from those who genuinely do need the benefits.[/p][/quote]ATOS don't make the decisions, they just complete reports, which are then sent to decision-makers at DWP/Jobcentreplus happycyclist
  • Score: 0

10:06am Fri 21 Dec 12

slimitus says...

happycyclist wrote:
Excluded again wrote:
workaholic wrote:
Well done ! Thank god someone cares!
No, just don't give them less.

And don't stop benefits for weeks when there is a change in someone's circumstances or when there is a review.

One of the worst is disability benefits. When ATOS do a 'medical' review they frequently decide someone who is not fit for work is fit for work. The person wins on appeal, but while the appeal is going on, their disability benefits are stopped and they have no money. Its a sneaky way of the government saving money even from those who genuinely do need the benefits.
ATOS don't make the decisions, they just complete reports, which are then sent to decision-makers at DWP/Jobcentreplus
happycyclist Actually, Atos lie about the interview or the questionnaire ( had one and witnessed it first hand ) Thankfully i'm sick enough to have got esa but a lot of people haven't due to the lies that Atos tell to get people off of benefits.
[quote][p][bold]happycyclist[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Excluded again[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]workaholic[/bold] wrote: Well done ! Thank god someone cares![/p][/quote]No, just don't give them less. And don't stop benefits for weeks when there is a change in someone's circumstances or when there is a review. One of the worst is disability benefits. When ATOS do a 'medical' review they frequently decide someone who is not fit for work is fit for work. The person wins on appeal, but while the appeal is going on, their disability benefits are stopped and they have no money. Its a sneaky way of the government saving money even from those who genuinely do need the benefits.[/p][/quote]ATOS don't make the decisions, they just complete reports, which are then sent to decision-makers at DWP/Jobcentreplus[/p][/quote]happycyclist Actually, Atos lie about the interview or the questionnaire ( had one and witnessed it first hand ) Thankfully i'm sick enough to have got esa but a lot of people haven't due to the lies that Atos tell to get people off of benefits. slimitus
  • Score: 0

10:07am Fri 21 Dec 12

slimitus says...

happycyclist wrote:
Excluded again wrote:
workaholic wrote:
Well done ! Thank god someone cares!
No, just don't give them less.

And don't stop benefits for weeks when there is a change in someone's circumstances or when there is a review.

One of the worst is disability benefits. When ATOS do a 'medical' review they frequently decide someone who is not fit for work is fit for work. The person wins on appeal, but while the appeal is going on, their disability benefits are stopped and they have no money. Its a sneaky way of the government saving money even from those who genuinely do need the benefits.
ATOS don't make the decisions, they just complete reports, which are then sent to decision-makers at DWP/Jobcentreplus
If it wasn't for Atos, there wouldn't be so many destitute people in the UK right now. I had my interview recorded and had a copy of the report but strangely enough the majority of that report were missing ( go figure ) .
[quote][p][bold]happycyclist[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Excluded again[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]workaholic[/bold] wrote: Well done ! Thank god someone cares![/p][/quote]No, just don't give them less. And don't stop benefits for weeks when there is a change in someone's circumstances or when there is a review. One of the worst is disability benefits. When ATOS do a 'medical' review they frequently decide someone who is not fit for work is fit for work. The person wins on appeal, but while the appeal is going on, their disability benefits are stopped and they have no money. Its a sneaky way of the government saving money even from those who genuinely do need the benefits.[/p][/quote]ATOS don't make the decisions, they just complete reports, which are then sent to decision-makers at DWP/Jobcentreplus[/p][/quote]If it wasn't for Atos, there wouldn't be so many destitute people in the UK right now. I had my interview recorded and had a copy of the report but strangely enough the majority of that report were missing ( go figure ) . slimitus
  • Score: 0

6:42am Mon 24 Dec 12

2 for 5p says...

Why Dont the gutter scum just buy bread and scrape
Why Dont the gutter scum just buy bread and scrape 2 for 5p
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree