MUSIC-playing equipment was seized from a ‘noisy neighbour’ after residents suffered six months of hell.
In the first seizure of its kind in Burnley, Pendle and Rossendale, environmental health staff, backed by police, secured a warrant for a raid on a house in Carleton Street, Nelson.
Locksmiths helped council staff to enter the terrace property and remove the electrical equipment, including a TV and DVD player used to play loud pop music at all hours, after repeated complaints about rowdy gatherings there.
Neighbours were forced to move out of their homes in the middle of the night in a bid to secure some sleep.
Council bosses in Pendle have now pledged to take action wherever nuisance neighbours are making lives a misery on the borough’s estates.
Coun John David, environmental services executive member, said: “This resident has been causing noise nuisance for over six months with absolutely no regard for her neighbours.
“Our environmental health staff have been working with the neighbours to try and bring about an end to their ordeal.”
Richard Walsh, the council’s public health manager, said neighbours contacted them when the noise became unbearable.
He added: “There have been occasions when they have had to take their family out of the house in the middle of the night to go and sleep at a relatives’ home.
“The lack of sleep was causing them stress and their children's schooling was being affected.
“No one should have to put up with prolonged noise nuisance like this, and I’m pleased that we’ve been able to bring this case to a satisfactory conclusion.”
An investigation began earlier this year when the authority received complaints about the mother-of-two, who cannot be named for legal reasons.
Warning letters were sent out and the problem briefly died down - only for the parties to restart in September.
Police were called to the house at least twice in October for rowdy behaviour and a noise abatement order was served on the premises, under the Environmental Protection Act.
Later officials from East Lancashire’s night-time noise nuisance service were drafted in and they witnessed loud parties on October 16, November 13 and December 3.
This evidence helped to persuade Reedley magistrates to grant an entry warrant, to impound any music-making equipment.
One neighbour, who asked not to be named, said after the seizure, said: “There are always problems with that house. Hopefully now it will be a lot quieter.”
Council officers have confirmed that the householder will now be prosecuted for breaching the October noise abatement order. People who are suffering similar difficulties can contact 01282 661199.