Huge rise in disabled bay rogue parkers in Burnley and Padiham

First published in News Lancashire Telegraph: Photograph of the Author by , Chief reporter

THOUGHTLESS motorists have been slammed after a dramatic rise in the number of fines handed out to people illegally parking in disabled bays.

Around 140 fixed penalty notices have already been issued in the first six months of this year across Burnley and Padiham’s off-street car parks.

Drivers have been forced to hand over more than £2,800 for ignoring blue-badge provisions at places like The Pioneer and Thompson Centre sites. This compares to just 148 similar notices during the whole of 2011, which resulted in fines of just over £3,220, and 72 the previous year, netting £1,692.

It is understood the overall total will be even higher when on-street parking bays, overseen by Lancashire County Council for the borough, are also taken into account.

Peter Stobbs, the borough council’s engineering manager, said: “Blue badge holders can park for an unlimited period of time in limited waiting parking bays on the street, and in any of our car parks free for up to three hours.

“If vehicles are parked in a blue badge space without a valid blue badge, enforcement action will be taken.

“For fraud prevention reasons, we will also issue a penalty notice if an invalid blue badge is displayed.”

The current split-level enforcement system replaced the controversial Parkwise scheme, run by the county council, which was axed three years ago.

A spokesperson for disability charity Scope said: “It is disappointing to hear that so many people have been parking in disabled parking spaces inappropriately.

“We know that for many people with mobility, visual, and other impairments, the convenience of a designated parking bay can make a huge difference in enabling them to get out and about to use local amenities.

“We’d encourage people to avoid parking in disabled bays, leaving them available for disabled people who genuinely need them.”

Comments (19)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:53am Wed 21 Nov 12

burnleylad says...

“Blue badge holders can park for an unlimited period of time in limited waiting parking bays on the street, and in any of our car parks free for up to three hours"


Why should disabled people be allowed to park for an unlimited period of time and enjoy free car parking??
“Blue badge holders can park for an unlimited period of time in limited waiting parking bays on the street, and in any of our car parks free for up to three hours" Why should disabled people be allowed to park for an unlimited period of time and enjoy free car parking?? burnleylad
  • Score: 0

8:35am Wed 21 Nov 12

janie64 says...

Not only do the disabled get FREE parking for 'up to three hours' but they also take liberties.

My husband and I were over at Hollingworth Lake a few weeks ago on a fine day. We sat eating our lunch at a picnic table near the lakeside and then a woman driver pulled up on the crossed yellow lines at the edge of the car park, got out with her 2 young grandsons, put a disabled badge on the window front and then proceeded to trot off to feed the ducks with the children in tow!

Majority of drivers who claim to be disabled are quite fortunate to have the use of a car without all this free parking in the best parking slots. My late gran never had the bonus of a car but she didn't have the bus stop outside of her door either!

To me a disabled person who has use of a car is someone who cannot genuinely walk very far or who is wheelchair-bound but seems in today's society, a lot of what is and what isn't seems to have got rather blurred.
Not only do the disabled get FREE parking for 'up to three hours' but they also take liberties. My husband and I were over at Hollingworth Lake a few weeks ago on a fine day. We sat eating our lunch at a picnic table near the lakeside and then a woman driver pulled up on the crossed yellow lines at the edge of the car park, got out with her 2 young grandsons, put a disabled badge on the window front and then proceeded to trot off to feed the ducks with the children in tow! Majority of drivers who claim to be disabled are quite fortunate to have the use of a car without all this free parking in the best parking slots. My late gran never had the bonus of a car but she didn't have the bus stop outside of her door either! To me a disabled person who has use of a car is someone who cannot genuinely walk very far or who is wheelchair-bound but seems in today's society, a lot of what is and what isn't seems to have got rather blurred. janie64
  • Score: 1

8:37am Wed 21 Nov 12

A Darener says...

burnleylad wrote:
“Blue badge holders can park for an unlimited period of time in limited waiting parking bays on the street, and in any of our car parks free for up to three hours"


Why should disabled people be allowed to park for an unlimited period of time and enjoy free car parking??
Because otherwise they would not be able to get out of their homes.
Also you have a choice you can hop on a bus, walk or pay to park. The disabled need to be able to get as near their destination as possible.
I do not under any circumstances condone the mis use of blue badges either by the disabled themselves or misuse by other people. But just think you could one day be in their position so have some compassion.
[quote][p][bold]burnleylad[/bold] wrote: “Blue badge holders can park for an unlimited period of time in limited waiting parking bays on the street, and in any of our car parks free for up to three hours" Why should disabled people be allowed to park for an unlimited period of time and enjoy free car parking??[/p][/quote]Because otherwise they would not be able to get out of their homes. Also you have a choice you can hop on a bus, walk or pay to park. The disabled need to be able to get as near their destination as possible. I do not under any circumstances condone the mis use of blue badges either by the disabled themselves or misuse by other people. But just think you could one day be in their position so have some compassion. A Darener
  • Score: 3

10:18am Wed 21 Nov 12

DaveBurnley says...

Well said A Darener. When my wife was fit we would park and walk, now walking is very limited and a fraction of our old speed. We need to park close to our destination and frequently find disabled spaces occupied by non disabled people who are misusing badges issued to another family member.

I'm pleased to see these people who are misusing blue badges targeted. Their badges should also be confiscated and they should be banned from getting another for several months.
Well said A Darener. When my wife was fit we would park and walk, now walking is very limited and a fraction of our old speed. We need to park close to our destination and frequently find disabled spaces occupied by non disabled people who are misusing badges issued to another family member. I'm pleased to see these people who are misusing blue badges targeted. Their badges should also be confiscated and they should be banned from getting another for several months. DaveBurnley
  • Score: 2

11:52am Wed 21 Nov 12

Mikeee47 says...

The diabled badge is for people with Real disability, to park right outside the shop or place they are visiting, then leave not walk round town for 3 hours, get in get out and park somewhere else like in a proper carpark, the roads are getting narrower for bigger pavements and cycle lanes that never get used, Not all disabled users abuse the privelige, but the Majority DO,
The diabled badge is for people with Real disability, to park right outside the shop or place they are visiting, then leave not walk round town for 3 hours, get in get out and park somewhere else like in a proper carpark, the roads are getting narrower for bigger pavements and cycle lanes that never get used, Not all disabled users abuse the privelige, but the Majority DO, Mikeee47
  • Score: 0

1:01pm Wed 21 Nov 12

bikerjohn_uk says...

There are also a large number of people who are not disabled and who do not have blue badges yet persistently park in clearly-marked disabled parking bays. Unfortunately they all seem to belong to a certain minority. It's a good job that inconsideration and bone-idleness aren't classed as disabilities or the country would be even worse off than it is.
There are also a large number of people who are not disabled and who do not have blue badges yet persistently park in clearly-marked disabled parking bays. Unfortunately they all seem to belong to a certain minority. It's a good job that inconsideration and bone-idleness aren't classed as disabilities or the country would be even worse off than it is. bikerjohn_uk
  • Score: 1

1:52pm Wed 21 Nov 12

DaveBurnley says...

Mikeee47 wrote:
The diabled badge is for people with Real disability, to park right outside the shop or place they are visiting, then leave not walk round town for 3 hours, get in get out and park somewhere else like in a proper carpark, the roads are getting narrower for bigger pavements and cycle lanes that never get used, Not all disabled users abuse the privelige, but the Majority DO,
Where did you get your 'facts' from? Try reading the official document before making up facts.

https://www.gov.uk/g
overnment/uploads/sy
stem/uploads/attachm
ent_data/file/3248/b
lue-badge-rights-res
ponsibilities-englan
d.pdf
[quote][p][bold]Mikeee47[/bold] wrote: The diabled badge is for people with Real disability, to park right outside the shop or place they are visiting, then leave not walk round town for 3 hours, get in get out and park somewhere else like in a proper carpark, the roads are getting narrower for bigger pavements and cycle lanes that never get used, Not all disabled users abuse the privelige, but the Majority DO,[/p][/quote]Where did you get your 'facts' from? Try reading the official document before making up facts. https://www.gov.uk/g overnment/uploads/sy stem/uploads/attachm ent_data/file/3248/b lue-badge-rights-res ponsibilities-englan d.pdf DaveBurnley
  • Score: 0

2:11pm Wed 21 Nov 12

Mikeee47 says...

DaveBurnley wrote:
Mikeee47 wrote:
The diabled badge is for people with Real disability, to park right outside the shop or place they are visiting, then leave not walk round town for 3 hours, get in get out and park somewhere else like in a proper carpark, the roads are getting narrower for bigger pavements and cycle lanes that never get used, Not all disabled users abuse the privelige, but the Majority DO,
Where did you get your 'facts' from? Try reading the official document before making up facts.

https://www.gov.uk/g

overnment/uploads/sy

stem/uploads/attachm

ent_data/file/3248/b

lue-badge-rights-res

ponsibilities-englan

d.pdf
Maybe your one of the abusers of the badge, touch a nerve did I. I get my facts 1st hand see it with my own eyes everyday, maybe your too blinkered to see it.. Doesn't give you the right to park on double yellows ALL DAY !!!!
[quote][p][bold]DaveBurnley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mikeee47[/bold] wrote: The diabled badge is for people with Real disability, to park right outside the shop or place they are visiting, then leave not walk round town for 3 hours, get in get out and park somewhere else like in a proper carpark, the roads are getting narrower for bigger pavements and cycle lanes that never get used, Not all disabled users abuse the privelige, but the Majority DO,[/p][/quote]Where did you get your 'facts' from? Try reading the official document before making up facts. https://www.gov.uk/g overnment/uploads/sy stem/uploads/attachm ent_data/file/3248/b lue-badge-rights-res ponsibilities-englan d.pdf[/p][/quote]Maybe your one of the abusers of the badge, touch a nerve did I. I get my facts 1st hand see it with my own eyes everyday, maybe your too blinkered to see it.. Doesn't give you the right to park on double yellows ALL DAY !!!! Mikeee47
  • Score: 1

3:19pm Wed 21 Nov 12

A Darener says...

2 for 5p wrote:
If a disabled person can't get across a supermarket car park how is he going to get round the supermarket isles.
People should only be allowed to drive cars if there are 100% fulll bill of health , disabled driving is dangerous.
Don't talk such twaddle! How about those disabled that are passengers in the vehicle some of them are confined to wheelchairs or have to use a walking frame or have no comprehension of traffic dangers, my daughter for example. Should these people take their lives in their hands crossing a busy car park? It is not just drivers that use blue badges.
[quote][p][bold]2 for 5p[/bold] wrote: If a disabled person can't get across a supermarket car park how is he going to get round the supermarket isles. People should only be allowed to drive cars if there are 100% fulll bill of health , disabled driving is dangerous.[/p][/quote]Don't talk such twaddle! How about those disabled that are passengers in the vehicle some of them are confined to wheelchairs or have to use a walking frame or have no comprehension of traffic dangers, my daughter for example. Should these people take their lives in their hands crossing a busy car park? It is not just drivers that use blue badges. A Darener
  • Score: 2

5:03pm Wed 21 Nov 12

name and shame says...

its always nice to see a page full of fascists! how dare you people judge disabled people, simply because we need help with basic things like going to the shops. i tell you what, who wants to swap? i'll have the freedom to WALK to the shops, and you can be wheelchair bound, in severe pain and have a blue badge! interested??
its always nice to see a page full of fascists! how dare you people judge disabled people, simply because we need help with basic things like going to the shops. i tell you what, who wants to swap? i'll have the freedom to WALK to the shops, and you can be wheelchair bound, in severe pain and have a blue badge! interested?? name and shame
  • Score: 1

6:38pm Wed 21 Nov 12

burnleylad says...

A Darener wrote:
burnleylad wrote:
“Blue badge holders can park for an unlimited period of time in limited waiting parking bays on the street, and in any of our car parks free for up to three hours"


Why should disabled people be allowed to park for an unlimited period of time and enjoy free car parking??
Because otherwise they would not be able to get out of their homes.
Also you have a choice you can hop on a bus, walk or pay to park. The disabled need to be able to get as near their destination as possible.
I do not under any circumstances condone the mis use of blue badges either by the disabled themselves or misuse by other people. But just think you could one day be in their position so have some compassion.
You are missing my point - my point is that why should disabled people get free parking?
[quote][p][bold]A Darener[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]burnleylad[/bold] wrote: “Blue badge holders can park for an unlimited period of time in limited waiting parking bays on the street, and in any of our car parks free for up to three hours" Why should disabled people be allowed to park for an unlimited period of time and enjoy free car parking??[/p][/quote]Because otherwise they would not be able to get out of their homes. Also you have a choice you can hop on a bus, walk or pay to park. The disabled need to be able to get as near their destination as possible. I do not under any circumstances condone the mis use of blue badges either by the disabled themselves or misuse by other people. But just think you could one day be in their position so have some compassion.[/p][/quote]You are missing my point - my point is that why should disabled people get free parking? burnleylad
  • Score: 0

6:59pm Wed 21 Nov 12

A Darener says...

burnleylad wrote:
A Darener wrote:
burnleylad wrote:
“Blue badge holders can park for an unlimited period of time in limited waiting parking bays on the street, and in any of our car parks free for up to three hours"


Why should disabled people be allowed to park for an unlimited period of time and enjoy free car parking??
Because otherwise they would not be able to get out of their homes.
Also you have a choice you can hop on a bus, walk or pay to park. The disabled need to be able to get as near their destination as possible.
I do not under any circumstances condone the mis use of blue badges either by the disabled themselves or misuse by other people. But just think you could one day be in their position so have some compassion.
You are missing my point - my point is that why should disabled people get free parking?
Because you can walk for free. They can't.
[quote][p][bold]burnleylad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]A Darener[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]burnleylad[/bold] wrote: “Blue badge holders can park for an unlimited period of time in limited waiting parking bays on the street, and in any of our car parks free for up to three hours" Why should disabled people be allowed to park for an unlimited period of time and enjoy free car parking??[/p][/quote]Because otherwise they would not be able to get out of their homes. Also you have a choice you can hop on a bus, walk or pay to park. The disabled need to be able to get as near their destination as possible. I do not under any circumstances condone the mis use of blue badges either by the disabled themselves or misuse by other people. But just think you could one day be in their position so have some compassion.[/p][/quote]You are missing my point - my point is that why should disabled people get free parking?[/p][/quote]Because you can walk for free. They can't. A Darener
  • Score: 0

9:01pm Wed 21 Nov 12

ste.g says...

A Darener wrote:
burnleylad wrote:
A Darener wrote:
burnleylad wrote:
“Blue badge holders can park for an unlimited period of time in limited waiting parking bays on the street, and in any of our car parks free for up to three hours"


Why should disabled people be allowed to park for an unlimited period of time and enjoy free car parking??
Because otherwise they would not be able to get out of their homes.
Also you have a choice you can hop on a bus, walk or pay to park. The disabled need to be able to get as near their destination as possible.
I do not under any circumstances condone the mis use of blue badges either by the disabled themselves or misuse by other people. But just think you could one day be in their position so have some compassion.
You are missing my point - my point is that why should disabled people get free parking?
Because you can walk for free. They can't.
not much of a response darrener.i to sometimes wonder why free?im not saying they shouldnt park on yellows or disabled spots but for example.if they park on a normal bay like most of us do,all should pay the same.we already provide the disabled with a free car,free insurance,free tax,free tyers.free servicing on the car.i wouldnt have thought asking them to pay the car park fee is asking to much....
[quote][p][bold]A Darener[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]burnleylad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]A Darener[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]burnleylad[/bold] wrote: “Blue badge holders can park for an unlimited period of time in limited waiting parking bays on the street, and in any of our car parks free for up to three hours" Why should disabled people be allowed to park for an unlimited period of time and enjoy free car parking??[/p][/quote]Because otherwise they would not be able to get out of their homes. Also you have a choice you can hop on a bus, walk or pay to park. The disabled need to be able to get as near their destination as possible. I do not under any circumstances condone the mis use of blue badges either by the disabled themselves or misuse by other people. But just think you could one day be in their position so have some compassion.[/p][/quote]You are missing my point - my point is that why should disabled people get free parking?[/p][/quote]Because you can walk for free. They can't.[/p][/quote]not much of a response darrener.i to sometimes wonder why free?im not saying they shouldnt park on yellows or disabled spots but for example.if they park on a normal bay like most of us do,all should pay the same.we already provide the disabled with a free car,free insurance,free tax,free tyers.free servicing on the car.i wouldnt have thought asking them to pay the car park fee is asking to much.... ste.g
  • Score: 0

8:00am Thu 22 Nov 12

A Darener says...

Ste.g....sorry I haven't put a stronger argument for free parking for the disabled, but, I am tired of having to justify the small concessions the disabled get in trying to run their lives as ordinary fit people do. For most disabled and their carers every day is a struggle. Having cared for my disabled daughter every day for over 36 years I can tell you that we are very grateful for the little we get. I would swap you any time you like. The mobility aspect of life is a big issue to the disabled. It is their only chance to get out and about. But I do agree some people abuse he system and I am solidly behind any efforts to cut it out. This is my final word on the subject as it is a topic than cannot be settled without upsetting a lot of people.
Ste.g....sorry I haven't put a stronger argument for free parking for the disabled, but, I am tired of having to justify the small concessions the disabled get in trying to run their lives as ordinary fit people do. For most disabled and their carers every day is a struggle. Having cared for my disabled daughter every day for over 36 years I can tell you that we are very grateful for the little we get. I would swap you any time you like. The mobility aspect of life is a big issue to the disabled. It is their only chance to get out and about. But I do agree some people abuse he system and I am solidly behind any efforts to cut it out. This is my final word on the subject as it is a topic than cannot be settled without upsetting a lot of people. A Darener
  • Score: 0

9:30am Thu 22 Nov 12

DaveBurnley says...

ste.g wrote:
A Darener wrote:
burnleylad wrote:
A Darener wrote:
burnleylad wrote:
“Blue badge holders can park for an unlimited period of time in limited waiting parking bays on the street, and in any of our car parks free for up to three hours"


Why should disabled people be allowed to park for an unlimited period of time and enjoy free car parking??
Because otherwise they would not be able to get out of their homes.
Also you have a choice you can hop on a bus, walk or pay to park. The disabled need to be able to get as near their destination as possible.
I do not under any circumstances condone the mis use of blue badges either by the disabled themselves or misuse by other people. But just think you could one day be in their position so have some compassion.
You are missing my point - my point is that why should disabled people get free parking?
Because you can walk for free. They can't.
not much of a response darrener.i to sometimes wonder why free?im not saying they shouldnt park on yellows or disabled spots but for example.if they park on a normal bay like most of us do,all should pay the same.we already provide the disabled with a free car,free insurance,free tax,free tyers.free servicing on the car.i wouldnt have thought asking them to pay the car park fee is asking to much....
"we already provide the disabled with a free car,free insurance,free tax,free tyers.free servicing on the car."


No you don't. The disabled person has to give up all of the Mobility component of their disability allowance. Plus they often have to pay a contribution towards the vehicle. So it's not free!
[quote][p][bold]ste.g[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]A Darener[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]burnleylad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]A Darener[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]burnleylad[/bold] wrote: “Blue badge holders can park for an unlimited period of time in limited waiting parking bays on the street, and in any of our car parks free for up to three hours" Why should disabled people be allowed to park for an unlimited period of time and enjoy free car parking??[/p][/quote]Because otherwise they would not be able to get out of their homes. Also you have a choice you can hop on a bus, walk or pay to park. The disabled need to be able to get as near their destination as possible. I do not under any circumstances condone the mis use of blue badges either by the disabled themselves or misuse by other people. But just think you could one day be in their position so have some compassion.[/p][/quote]You are missing my point - my point is that why should disabled people get free parking?[/p][/quote]Because you can walk for free. They can't.[/p][/quote]not much of a response darrener.i to sometimes wonder why free?im not saying they shouldnt park on yellows or disabled spots but for example.if they park on a normal bay like most of us do,all should pay the same.we already provide the disabled with a free car,free insurance,free tax,free tyers.free servicing on the car.i wouldnt have thought asking them to pay the car park fee is asking to much....[/p][/quote]"we already provide the disabled with a free car,free insurance,free tax,free tyers.free servicing on the car." No you don't. The disabled person has to give up all of the Mobility component of their disability allowance. Plus they often have to pay a contribution towards the vehicle. So it's not free! DaveBurnley
  • Score: 3

9:36am Thu 22 Nov 12

janie64 says...

The interesting thing is that disabled people want to feel like normal but then want the special privileges as in free car parking when able bodied folks have to pay.
Why should disabled people be entitled to have free car parking anyway, the point is they should have to pay like everyone else.
Saying that certain parts of the country (one is Devon as read the car parking notice in one in summer), the disabled do not get concessions which I feel is fair for all regardless.
Burnley Council and other companies who run the car parks in Burnley could charge less for all if there were no concessions and that would make it more appealling and fairer.
The interesting thing is that disabled people want to feel like normal but then want the special privileges as in free car parking when able bodied folks have to pay. Why should disabled people be entitled to have free car parking anyway, the point is they should have to pay like everyone else. Saying that certain parts of the country (one is Devon as read the car parking notice in one in summer), the disabled do not get concessions which I feel is fair for all regardless. Burnley Council and other companies who run the car parks in Burnley could charge less for all if there were no concessions and that would make it more appealling and fairer. janie64
  • Score: -2

11:49am Thu 22 Nov 12

name and shame says...

i have been running a facebook page for a short while now, naming and shaming people who park in disabled bays with no badge: https://www.facebook
.com/bluebadgenamean
dshame

i am a disabled driver, and sick and tired of having spaces that i need, taken up by lazy idiots who cant be bothered walking a few extra yards.

no doubt i'll get a load of ridicule from the fascists among you. please keep your unwelcome comments to yourself!
i have been running a facebook page for a short while now, naming and shaming people who park in disabled bays with no badge: https://www.facebook .com/bluebadgenamean dshame i am a disabled driver, and sick and tired of having spaces that i need, taken up by lazy idiots who cant be bothered walking a few extra yards. no doubt i'll get a load of ridicule from the fascists among you. please keep your unwelcome comments to yourself! name and shame
  • Score: 0

9:57pm Thu 22 Nov 12

bobthebandit says...

Until my mid forties I played football, cricket, five a side, basketball on a regular basis. I spent my weekends fellwalking and climbing mountains. I loved the outdoors and cycled many miles whenever practical.

I had a heart attack at 46 years old and my health has worsened ever since. I'm now 64 and waiting for a triple heart bypass and then further bypass sugery on each leg. Until I've had these operations I can't walk or stay on my feet more more than a couple of minutes.

Clearly I'm a genuine user of blue badge parking spaces, without them I could go hardly anywhere. It infuriates me when I go to hospital appointments or my local asda and can't get a disabled space when some of the parked cars aren't displaying a blue badge.

In my opinion these spaces should be better supervised, and the cost of supervision should be covered by massive fines. If the inconsiderate, uncaring, selfish drivers had to pay heavily they would have no-one but themselves to blame, they should just be grateful they aren't in my situation, I would gladly swap places with them.

I use these spaces through neccessity, people who use them from laziness should pay heavily.
Until my mid forties I played football, cricket, five a side, basketball on a regular basis. I spent my weekends fellwalking and climbing mountains. I loved the outdoors and cycled many miles whenever practical. I had a heart attack at 46 years old and my health has worsened ever since. I'm now 64 and waiting for a triple heart bypass and then further bypass sugery on each leg. Until I've had these operations I can't walk or stay on my feet more more than a couple of minutes. Clearly I'm a genuine user of blue badge parking spaces, without them I could go hardly anywhere. It infuriates me when I go to hospital appointments or my local asda and can't get a disabled space when some of the parked cars aren't displaying a blue badge. In my opinion these spaces should be better supervised, and the cost of supervision should be covered by massive fines. If the inconsiderate, uncaring, selfish drivers had to pay heavily they would have no-one but themselves to blame, they should just be grateful they aren't in my situation, I would gladly swap places with them. I use these spaces through neccessity, people who use them from laziness should pay heavily. bobthebandit
  • Score: 0

3:13pm Fri 23 Nov 12

name and shame says...

bobthebandit wrote:
Until my mid forties I played football, cricket, five a side, basketball on a regular basis. I spent my weekends fellwalking and climbing mountains. I loved the outdoors and cycled many miles whenever practical.

I had a heart attack at 46 years old and my health has worsened ever since. I'm now 64 and waiting for a triple heart bypass and then further bypass sugery on each leg. Until I've had these operations I can't walk or stay on my feet more more than a couple of minutes.

Clearly I'm a genuine user of blue badge parking spaces, without them I could go hardly anywhere. It infuriates me when I go to hospital appointments or my local asda and can't get a disabled space when some of the parked cars aren't displaying a blue badge.

In my opinion these spaces should be better supervised, and the cost of supervision should be covered by massive fines. If the inconsiderate, uncaring, selfish drivers had to pay heavily they would have no-one but themselves to blame, they should just be grateful they aren't in my situation, I would gladly swap places with them.

I use these spaces through neccessity, people who use them from laziness should pay heavily.
well put bobthebandid. i fully agree with this. i have often arrived at a supermarket, only to find no disabled spaces left, and had to either try somewhere else, or go home. even more infuriating is when i see fully abled people with no badges, parking in these spaces just to get a bit closer to the door. asda charge £70 fine, when they can be bothered, these fines should be at least £500, and like you say, supervised. people will soon stop parking there when they havent got the right!
[quote][p][bold]bobthebandit[/bold] wrote: Until my mid forties I played football, cricket, five a side, basketball on a regular basis. I spent my weekends fellwalking and climbing mountains. I loved the outdoors and cycled many miles whenever practical. I had a heart attack at 46 years old and my health has worsened ever since. I'm now 64 and waiting for a triple heart bypass and then further bypass sugery on each leg. Until I've had these operations I can't walk or stay on my feet more more than a couple of minutes. Clearly I'm a genuine user of blue badge parking spaces, without them I could go hardly anywhere. It infuriates me when I go to hospital appointments or my local asda and can't get a disabled space when some of the parked cars aren't displaying a blue badge. In my opinion these spaces should be better supervised, and the cost of supervision should be covered by massive fines. If the inconsiderate, uncaring, selfish drivers had to pay heavily they would have no-one but themselves to blame, they should just be grateful they aren't in my situation, I would gladly swap places with them. I use these spaces through neccessity, people who use them from laziness should pay heavily.[/p][/quote]well put bobthebandid. i fully agree with this. i have often arrived at a supermarket, only to find no disabled spaces left, and had to either try somewhere else, or go home. even more infuriating is when i see fully abled people with no badges, parking in these spaces just to get a bit closer to the door. asda charge £70 fine, when they can be bothered, these fines should be at least £500, and like you say, supervised. people will soon stop parking there when they havent got the right! name and shame
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree