Road users should have more respect for each other, says East Lancashire British Cycling president

Lancashire Telegraph: Brian Cookson Brian Cookson

ROAD users need more respect for each other, according to Pendle Council boss and British Cycling President Brian Cookson.

Mr Cookson, who accompanied Bradley Wiggins and Team GB on their Olympic victory events, said better education is needed for all road users to prevent avoidable accidents.

However Mr Cookson, president of British Cycling, the governing body for the sport, said he did not feel cycling helmets should be made compulsory.

The call comes after Bradley Wiggins, the Olympics and Tour de France hero, was hit by a van while on a training ride in Wrightington, near Chorley.

Shane Sutton, the head coach of the GB Cycling Team, was also hit by a car in Manchester.

Mr Cookson, who knows both Bradley and Shane, said: “Everybody’s life and limbs have the same value, but when this happens to a Tour de France, Olympic gold medal winning national hero it brings cycling safety to everyone’s focus.

“Penalties for motorists who hit cyclists should be seen as a more serious issue by the courts, but at the end of the day all we want to see if everyone taking more care on the roads.

“We all have a right to be on the road - cyclists, pedestrians, horse riders and motorists. We need to start respecting each other rather than wanting to make a journey at any cost.

“We want to see better education and training for young cyclists and for drivers. I think there’s a need for everyone to be a bit more careful on the road.

“We also want to see the government to spend more on infrastructure to promote cycling, which has plenty of health and environmental benefits.”

Speaking about cycling safety, Mr Cookson said he did not believe helmets should be made compulsory.

“Despite the two recent incidents, it’s not a dangerous sport. Accidents are a very rare occurrence despite these two recent high profile incidents.

“We encourage people to wear helmets. They are designed to protect your head if you fall from your bike, but if you are run over by a bus or a truck a helmet isn’t going to do much.”

He said Bradley is now at home recovering, and Shane was due to spend another night in hospital last night because of his head injuries.

Comments (29)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:13pm Sat 10 Nov 12

burner says...

. . “We all have a right to be on the road - cyclists, pedestrians, horse riders and motorists. We need to start respecting each other " . . .I agree, Mr Cookson.
.
Just one thing EVERY cyclist should have insurance, no different from a motorist.
. . “We all have a right to be on the road - cyclists, pedestrians, horse riders and motorists. We need to start respecting each other " . . .I agree, Mr Cookson. . Just one thing EVERY cyclist should have insurance, no different from a motorist. burner

5:21pm Sat 10 Nov 12

DoyouknowhoIam? says...

I am both a motorist and cyclist so see both sides. It is downright dangerous being a cyclist due to inconsiderate motorists, one guy berated me the other day for thumping the side of his van. Reason? He squeezed me right into the hedge whilst I was in a cycle lane. I caught up with him at the lights and he asked me why I was cycling on his inside, when I pointed out that I was in a cycle lane and that he was committing a road and traffic offence by driving in the cycle lane, he cleared off in a huff.

I could go on forever, I accept that some cyclists are no angels, but please, car drivers, slow down, don't brake hard when you've just passed us, (we can't stop like you can), respect the cycle lanes, check your mirroe before opening your door, and we'll all get along fine.
I am both a motorist and cyclist so see both sides. It is downright dangerous being a cyclist due to inconsiderate motorists, one guy berated me the other day for thumping the side of his van. Reason? He squeezed me right into the hedge whilst I was in a cycle lane. I caught up with him at the lights and he asked me why I was cycling on his inside, when I pointed out that I was in a cycle lane and that he was committing a road and traffic offence by driving in the cycle lane, he cleared off in a huff. I could go on forever, I accept that some cyclists are no angels, but please, car drivers, slow down, don't brake hard when you've just passed us, (we can't stop like you can), respect the cycle lanes, check your mirroe before opening your door, and we'll all get along fine. DoyouknowhoIam?

5:45pm Sat 10 Nov 12

julespent says...

I used to cycle to work and had quite few near misses. Once i was on a main road just passing a junction from a side street, when a van overtook me to turn into the side street. I was inches off the back of his van. All he had to do was slow down behind me for a few seconds. I saw the horror on the drivers face who was waiting to come out of the junction. My husband has been knocked off his bike, our lives were completely turned upside down because of a driver pulling out of a junction. The drivers life carried on as normal. Because of the above as a driver i always keep an eye on cyclists, wait behind them if there is no room to overtake them and generally have consideration for pedestrians and other road users. Common courtesy and patience is all it takes.
I used to cycle to work and had quite few near misses. Once i was on a main road just passing a junction from a side street, when a van overtook me to turn into the side street. I was inches off the back of his van. All he had to do was slow down behind me for a few seconds. I saw the horror on the drivers face who was waiting to come out of the junction. My husband has been knocked off his bike, our lives were completely turned upside down because of a driver pulling out of a junction. The drivers life carried on as normal. Because of the above as a driver i always keep an eye on cyclists, wait behind them if there is no room to overtake them and generally have consideration for pedestrians and other road users. Common courtesy and patience is all it takes. julespent

5:54pm Sat 10 Nov 12

Mikeee47 says...

Once again, its never the cyclist at fault, is it?
Once again, its never the cyclist at fault, is it? Mikeee47

6:16pm Sat 10 Nov 12

doggydog says...

Who pays for the damage when a cyclist runs into your car?
Why do cyclists go through red lights?
Why do cyclists expect a car/van driver to know what they are going to do when they just do it without warning?
Who pays for the damage when a cyclist runs into your car? Why do cyclists go through red lights? Why do cyclists expect a car/van driver to know what they are going to do when they just do it without warning? doggydog

6:41pm Sat 10 Nov 12

maxcollie says...

Why do cyclists ride on pavements? Pavements are for pedestrians.Why can some cyclists not read signs that say " No bikes" in country parks.They insist on riding down these paths and expect legal pedestrians to move out of their way.
Why do cyclists ride on pavements? Pavements are for pedestrians.Why can some cyclists not read signs that say " No bikes" in country parks.They insist on riding down these paths and expect legal pedestrians to move out of their way. maxcollie

6:55pm Sat 10 Nov 12

ray_pearson says...

All very commendable I am sure but having driven through Brierfield and Nelson today on my way to visiting friends in Colne I wonder if Pendle Borough Council's Director (Regeneration) - with a particular responsibility for housing and economic regeneration in the Borough - could perhaps spend more time on his publicly financed day job rather than his push bike ego boost. That whole area is in need of serious regeneration, not just a bizarre needle sticking outside a pub.
To paraphrase, Get off your bike Mr Cookson.
All very commendable I am sure but having driven through Brierfield and Nelson today on my way to visiting friends in Colne I wonder if Pendle Borough Council's Director (Regeneration) - with a particular responsibility for housing and economic regeneration in the Borough - could perhaps spend more time on his publicly financed day job rather than his push bike ego boost. That whole area is in need of serious regeneration, not just a bizarre needle sticking outside a pub. To paraphrase, Get off your bike Mr Cookson. ray_pearson

6:59pm Sat 10 Nov 12

DoyouknowhoIam? says...

Not sure whether anyone has been seriously injured or worse still, killed by a cyclist riding in a country park.

As for compulsory insurance, bring it on, the sooner the better I can take formal legal actions against inconsiderate law breaking motorists the better.

Take my word for it, and I speak as a 40 mile a week cyclist, there'd be more claims from cyclists than against. To repeat myself though, not all cyclists are responsible road users. As for occasionally using paths, it's wrong. Cyclists use them in my experience when the state of the road is so poor it's dangerous. That's another story though.
Not sure whether anyone has been seriously injured or worse still, killed by a cyclist riding in a country park. As for compulsory insurance, bring it on, the sooner the better I can take formal legal actions against inconsiderate law breaking motorists the better. Take my word for it, and I speak as a 40 mile a week cyclist, there'd be more claims from cyclists than against. To repeat myself though, not all cyclists are responsible road users. As for occasionally using paths, it's wrong. Cyclists use them in my experience when the state of the road is so poor it's dangerous. That's another story though. DoyouknowhoIam?

7:47pm Sat 10 Nov 12

Old Alzheimer says...

I'd like to hear more warning instruments being used on cycles !!!!!!!!
I'd like to hear more warning instruments being used on cycles !!!!!!!! Old Alzheimer

9:29pm Sat 10 Nov 12

frank says...

"Just one thing EVERY cyclist should have insurance, no different from a motorist.”

any cyclist who belongs to a national organisation has insurance..

how many motorists DONT have insurance, the papers are full of them.

this article is about respect, respect for others lives.
"Just one thing EVERY cyclist should have insurance, no different from a motorist.” any cyclist who belongs to a national organisation has insurance.. how many motorists DONT have insurance, the papers are full of them. this article is about respect, respect for others lives. frank

12:18am Sun 11 Nov 12

burner says...

@ DoyouknowhoIam? . . . so you really do think it is illegal to drive in a cycle lane ?? !!! Whilst I agree a motorist should try to avoid doing so ( out of consideration ) have you not noticed that the road space left for cars ( especially past many central pedestrian refuges ) will not always allow a car to avoid the cycle lane ? If you think you are immune, because you are cycling in a marked lane then you are indeed foolish . . . how would a bus or a lorry share the road space with you? You would soon be under their wheels . . wheels that , out of neccessity , brush the kerb in some circumstances.
.
The Highway Code, section 49, tells cyclists to STAY IN THE LANE and that's all the "law" says.No advice or mandatory rule for motorists.
.
WHATdoIthinkyouare? . . . an idiot !
@ DoyouknowhoIam? . . . so you really do think it is illegal to drive in a cycle lane ?? !!! Whilst I agree a motorist should try to avoid doing so ( out of consideration ) have you not noticed that the road space left for cars ( especially past many central pedestrian refuges ) will not always allow a car to avoid the cycle lane ? If you think you are immune, because you are cycling in a marked lane then you are indeed foolish . . . how would a bus or a lorry share the road space with you? You would soon be under their wheels . . wheels that , out of neccessity , brush the kerb in some circumstances. . The Highway Code, section 49, tells cyclists to STAY IN THE LANE and that's all the "law" says.No advice or mandatory rule for motorists. . WHATdoIthinkyouare? . . . an idiot ! burner

7:51am Sun 11 Nov 12

Chris P Bacon says...

In my considerable experience as both a cyclist and a motorist, I'd have to say that on the whole, most drivers are responsible and respectful of cyclists and most cyclists are responsible and respectful road users. I'm not saying this is 100% of both groups at all times but in the main, it is.

We'd get a much fairer picture if staunch defenders of only one of those groups kept their ignorance to themselves. A driver who's never ridden a bike should keep his beak out of it and an environmental 'two wheels good, four wheels bad' exponent should stop showing us all up.

Those who demand insurance or, particularly stupidly, taxation for cyclists would do better to take a long walk off a short pier.
In my considerable experience as both a cyclist and a motorist, I'd have to say that on the whole, most drivers are responsible and respectful of cyclists and most cyclists are responsible and respectful road users. I'm not saying this is 100% of both groups at all times but in the main, it is. We'd get a much fairer picture if staunch defenders of only one of those groups kept their ignorance to themselves. A driver who's never ridden a bike should keep his beak out of it and an environmental 'two wheels good, four wheels bad' exponent should stop showing us all up. Those who demand insurance or, particularly stupidly, taxation for cyclists would do better to take a long walk off a short pier. Chris P Bacon

9:43am Sun 11 Nov 12

goz says...

burner wrote:
@ DoyouknowhoIam? . . . so you really do think it is illegal to drive in a cycle lane ?? !!! Whilst I agree a motorist should try to avoid doing so ( out of consideration ) have you not noticed that the road space left for cars ( especially past many central pedestrian refuges ) will not always allow a car to avoid the cycle lane ? If you think you are immune, because you are cycling in a marked lane then you are indeed foolish . . . how would a bus or a lorry share the road space with you? You would soon be under their wheels . . wheels that , out of neccessity , brush the kerb in some circumstances.
.
The Highway Code, section 49, tells cyclists to STAY IN THE LANE and that's all the "law" says.No advice or mandatory rule for motorists.
.
WHATdoIthinkyouare? . . . an idiot !
When I took my motorbike test about 10 years ago i was told that if I wander or pull into the cycle lane it is an immediate fail due to dangerous driving. Although I understand your logic and agree, top n bottom is the roads aren't made for all the traffic we now have.
[quote][p][bold]burner[/bold] wrote: @ DoyouknowhoIam? . . . so you really do think it is illegal to drive in a cycle lane ?? !!! Whilst I agree a motorist should try to avoid doing so ( out of consideration ) have you not noticed that the road space left for cars ( especially past many central pedestrian refuges ) will not always allow a car to avoid the cycle lane ? If you think you are immune, because you are cycling in a marked lane then you are indeed foolish . . . how would a bus or a lorry share the road space with you? You would soon be under their wheels . . wheels that , out of neccessity , brush the kerb in some circumstances. . The Highway Code, section 49, tells cyclists to STAY IN THE LANE and that's all the "law" says.No advice or mandatory rule for motorists. . WHATdoIthinkyouare? . . . an idiot ![/p][/quote]When I took my motorbike test about 10 years ago i was told that if I wander or pull into the cycle lane it is an immediate fail due to dangerous driving. Although I understand your logic and agree, top n bottom is the roads aren't made for all the traffic we now have. goz

10:19am Sun 11 Nov 12

DoyouknowhoIam? says...

Burner, a shame you have to resort to insults to convey your point. I was genuinely under the impression that a motorist straying into a cycle lane and colliding with a cyclist (using said lane) was commiting an offence.

Perhaps you're better informed than I am and will give you the benefit of the doubt that remains with me. I will endeavour to speak as soon as possible with someone who can provide me with the full unequivocal facts, i.e. a Police Officer.

As for how would a car or lorry share the road space with a cyclist, well the same way as I do every time I use my car, slow down and find space. Allow the cyclist 1st bite of the cherry where safe to do so. When it's safe to pass them, make progress.
Burner, a shame you have to resort to insults to convey your point. I was genuinely under the impression that a motorist straying into a cycle lane and colliding with a cyclist (using said lane) was commiting an offence. Perhaps you're better informed than I am and will give you the benefit of the doubt that remains with me. I will endeavour to speak as soon as possible with someone who can provide me with the full unequivocal facts, i.e. a Police Officer. As for how would a car or lorry share the road space with a cyclist, well the same way as I do every time I use my car, slow down and find space. Allow the cyclist 1st bite of the cherry where safe to do so. When it's safe to pass them, make progress. DoyouknowhoIam?

11:38am Sun 11 Nov 12

burner says...

doyouknow, I sincerely appologise for using the term "idiot". I knew, as soon as I touched the return button "ignorant" would have been fairer. You are not an idiot, you just didn't know the law.
.
BTW, you have now added " and colliding with a cyclist" - that wasn't in the text I originally commented on. THAT is trouble with or without a cycle lane.
.
. . .and . . . if cyclists had insurance they could have representation to pursue the motorist through a legislative proceedure. Not many would do that otherwise . . . that's to you crispy. Works both ways, make ALL road users accountable.
doyouknow, I sincerely appologise for using the term "idiot". I knew, as soon as I touched the return button "ignorant" would have been fairer. You are not an idiot, you just didn't know the law. . BTW, you have now added " and colliding with a cyclist" - that wasn't in the text I originally commented on. THAT is trouble with or without a cycle lane. . . . .and . . . if cyclists had insurance they could have representation to pursue the motorist through a legislative proceedure. Not many would do that otherwise . . . that's to you crispy. Works both ways, make ALL road users accountable. burner

11:40am Sun 11 Nov 12

Izanears says...

Old Alzheimer wrote:
I'd like to hear more warning instruments being used on cycles !!!!!!!!
I cannot agree more. If I had a pound for every time I have nearly been run into by cyclists riding on the FOOTPATH I would a rich man. Still on the subject. Some cyclists seem to want it all their own way. One young chap I know thinks nothing about riding the wrong way down a one way system, ignoring red lights, whizzing through town centres and pedestrianised precincts, but just hear him howl when on the rare occasion he uses the road, a vehicle gets too near!!!
[quote][p][bold]Old Alzheimer[/bold] wrote: I'd like to hear more warning instruments being used on cycles !!!!!!!![/p][/quote]I cannot agree more. If I had a pound for every time I have nearly been run into by cyclists riding on the FOOTPATH I would a rich man. Still on the subject. Some cyclists seem to want it all their own way. One young chap I know thinks nothing about riding the wrong way down a one way system, ignoring red lights, whizzing through town centres and pedestrianised precincts, but just hear him howl when on the rare occasion he uses the road, a vehicle gets too near!!! Izanears

11:50am Sun 11 Nov 12

Anthony A Cooper says...

As a pedestrian, motorist and former cyclist I am aware that cyclists are more vulnerable than other road users. However, there are two circumstances in which cyclists do not help themselves. Some groups insist on riding two abreast on narrow country lanes, often holding up cars behind them for a considerable distance and certainly making it impossible for drivers to give them the necessary wide berth . I understand that in France, cyclists change to single file in such circumstances. As a pedestrian, when using canal towpaths and some public footpaths, I am amazed at the number of cyclists who do not have a bell and come up behind you absolutely silently. One sideways step and there would be a nasty accident, entirely the cyclist's fault.
As a pedestrian, motorist and former cyclist I am aware that cyclists are more vulnerable than other road users. However, there are two circumstances in which cyclists do not help themselves. Some groups insist on riding two abreast on narrow country lanes, often holding up cars behind them for a considerable distance and certainly making it impossible for drivers to give them the necessary wide berth . I understand that in France, cyclists change to single file in such circumstances. As a pedestrian, when using canal towpaths and some public footpaths, I am amazed at the number of cyclists who do not have a bell and come up behind you absolutely silently. One sideways step and there would be a nasty accident, entirely the cyclist's fault. Anthony A Cooper

12:01pm Sun 11 Nov 12

Chris P Bacon says...

Izanears wrote:
Old Alzheimer wrote:
I'd like to hear more warning instruments being used on cycles !!!!!!!!
I cannot agree more. If I had a pound for every time I have nearly been run into by cyclists riding on the FOOTPATH I would a rich man. Still on the subject. Some cyclists seem to want it all their own way. One young chap I know thinks nothing about riding the wrong way down a one way system, ignoring red lights, whizzing through town centres and pedestrianised precincts, but just hear him howl when on the rare occasion he uses the road, a vehicle gets too near!!!
Anecdotal stories do not make a truth and the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence'.

'One young chap I know..' That means nothing if indeed he does exist and if you aren't exaggerating a single incident out of all proportion.

As for 'warning instruments on bikes', words fail me and I absolutely do not believe you have nearly been run over on a footpath at all, never mind the numerous times you are claiming.
[quote][p][bold]Izanears[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Old Alzheimer[/bold] wrote: I'd like to hear more warning instruments being used on cycles !!!!!!!![/p][/quote]I cannot agree more. If I had a pound for every time I have nearly been run into by cyclists riding on the FOOTPATH I would a rich man. Still on the subject. Some cyclists seem to want it all their own way. One young chap I know thinks nothing about riding the wrong way down a one way system, ignoring red lights, whizzing through town centres and pedestrianised precincts, but just hear him howl when on the rare occasion he uses the road, a vehicle gets too near!!![/p][/quote]Anecdotal stories do not make a truth and the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence'. 'One young chap I know..' That means nothing if indeed he does exist and if you aren't exaggerating a single incident out of all proportion. As for 'warning instruments on bikes', words fail me and I absolutely do not believe you have nearly been run over on a footpath at all, never mind the numerous times you are claiming. Chris P Bacon

12:10pm Sun 11 Nov 12

Chris P Bacon says...

burner wrote:
doyouknow, I sincerely appologise for using the term "idiot". I knew, as soon as I touched the return button "ignorant" would have been fairer. You are not an idiot, you just didn't know the law.
.
BTW, you have now added " and colliding with a cyclist" - that wasn't in the text I originally commented on. THAT is trouble with or without a cycle lane.
.
. . .and . . . if cyclists had insurance they could have representation to pursue the motorist through a legislative proceedure. Not many would do that otherwise . . . that's to you crispy. Works both ways, make ALL road users accountable.
Insurance comes with membership of CTC, British Cycling or numerous other associations. All cyclists have representation through the driver's insurance (if they have it!) and it is thousands of times more likely for the claim to be AGAINST the motorist than the motorist claiming against the cyclist.

I do hope your 'making ALL road users accountable' is aimed at the uninsured drivers as well as the BSO-mounted riders new to the activity?
[quote][p][bold]burner[/bold] wrote: doyouknow, I sincerely appologise for using the term "idiot". I knew, as soon as I touched the return button "ignorant" would have been fairer. You are not an idiot, you just didn't know the law. . BTW, you have now added " and colliding with a cyclist" - that wasn't in the text I originally commented on. THAT is trouble with or without a cycle lane. . . . .and . . . if cyclists had insurance they could have representation to pursue the motorist through a legislative proceedure. Not many would do that otherwise . . . that's to you crispy. Works both ways, make ALL road users accountable.[/p][/quote]Insurance comes with membership of CTC, British Cycling or numerous other associations. All cyclists have representation through the driver's insurance (if they have it!) and it is thousands of times more likely for the claim to be AGAINST the motorist than the motorist claiming against the cyclist. I do hope your 'making ALL road users accountable' is aimed at the uninsured drivers as well as the BSO-mounted riders new to the activity? Chris P Bacon

12:22pm Sun 11 Nov 12

burner says...

ALL means ALL - I agree.
.
EVERY motorist, EVERY cyclist EVERYone . . . . but I am fully aware that is a pipe-dream. BTW, I have some colleagues who cycle and not one is a member of the organisations you mention and not one had personal liability insurance of any kind.
ALL means ALL - I agree. . EVERY motorist, EVERY cyclist EVERYone . . . . but I am fully aware that is a pipe-dream. BTW, I have some colleagues who cycle and not one is a member of the organisations you mention and not one had personal liability insurance of any kind. burner

12:32pm Sun 11 Nov 12

Chris P Bacon says...

burner wrote:
ALL means ALL - I agree.
.
EVERY motorist, EVERY cyclist EVERYone . . . . but I am fully aware that is a pipe-dream. BTW, I have some colleagues who cycle and not one is a member of the organisations you mention and not one had personal liability insurance of any kind.
Personally, I have insurance for all modes of transportation so am not seeking to defend those that don't. As I understand it though, some say they simply don't need it as the damage it's possible to cause by a bike is insignificant in volume and amount when compared to motorised vehicles. Some get annoyed when it's mentioned they should have insurance. Some claim this only comes from drivers because they have to have it themselves so want others to feel the pain!
[quote][p][bold]burner[/bold] wrote: ALL means ALL - I agree. . EVERY motorist, EVERY cyclist EVERYone . . . . but I am fully aware that is a pipe-dream. BTW, I have some colleagues who cycle and not one is a member of the organisations you mention and not one had personal liability insurance of any kind.[/p][/quote]Personally, I have insurance for all modes of transportation so am not seeking to defend those that don't. As I understand it though, some say they simply don't need it as the damage it's possible to cause by a bike is insignificant in volume and amount when compared to motorised vehicles. Some get annoyed when it's mentioned they should have insurance. Some claim this only comes from drivers because they have to have it themselves so want others to feel the pain! Chris P Bacon

4:25pm Sun 11 Nov 12

Izanears says...

Chris P Bacon wrote:
Izanears wrote:
Old Alzheimer wrote:
I'd like to hear more warning instruments being used on cycles !!!!!!!!
I cannot agree more. If I had a pound for every time I have nearly been run into by cyclists riding on the FOOTPATH I would a rich man. Still on the subject. Some cyclists seem to want it all their own way. One young chap I know thinks nothing about riding the wrong way down a one way system, ignoring red lights, whizzing through town centres and pedestrianised precincts, but just hear him howl when on the rare occasion he uses the road, a vehicle gets too near!!!
Anecdotal stories do not make a truth and the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence'.

'One young chap I know..' That means nothing if indeed he does exist and if you aren't exaggerating a single incident out of all proportion.

As for 'warning instruments on bikes', words fail me and I absolutely do not believe you have nearly been run over on a footpath at all, never mind the numerous times you are claiming.
It wasn't anecdotal Chris. The young lad I mentioned is my nephew.
[quote][p][bold]Chris P Bacon[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Izanears[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Old Alzheimer[/bold] wrote: I'd like to hear more warning instruments being used on cycles !!!!!!!![/p][/quote]I cannot agree more. If I had a pound for every time I have nearly been run into by cyclists riding on the FOOTPATH I would a rich man. Still on the subject. Some cyclists seem to want it all their own way. One young chap I know thinks nothing about riding the wrong way down a one way system, ignoring red lights, whizzing through town centres and pedestrianised precincts, but just hear him howl when on the rare occasion he uses the road, a vehicle gets too near!!![/p][/quote]Anecdotal stories do not make a truth and the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence'. 'One young chap I know..' That means nothing if indeed he does exist and if you aren't exaggerating a single incident out of all proportion. As for 'warning instruments on bikes', words fail me and I absolutely do not believe you have nearly been run over on a footpath at all, never mind the numerous times you are claiming.[/p][/quote]It wasn't anecdotal Chris. The young lad I mentioned is my nephew. Izanears

6:03pm Sun 11 Nov 12

Chris P Bacon says...

Izanears wrote:
Chris P Bacon wrote:
Izanears wrote:
Old Alzheimer wrote:
I'd like to hear more warning instruments being used on cycles !!!!!!!!
I cannot agree more. If I had a pound for every time I have nearly been run into by cyclists riding on the FOOTPATH I would a rich man. Still on the subject. Some cyclists seem to want it all their own way. One young chap I know thinks nothing about riding the wrong way down a one way system, ignoring red lights, whizzing through town centres and pedestrianised precincts, but just hear him howl when on the rare occasion he uses the road, a vehicle gets too near!!!
Anecdotal stories do not make a truth and the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence'.

'One young chap I know..' That means nothing if indeed he does exist and if you aren't exaggerating a single incident out of all proportion.

As for 'warning instruments on bikes', words fail me and I absolutely do not believe you have nearly been run over on a footpath at all, never mind the numerous times you are claiming.
It wasn't anecdotal Chris. The young lad I mentioned is my nephew.
Award yourself a medal.
[quote][p][bold]Izanears[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chris P Bacon[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Izanears[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Old Alzheimer[/bold] wrote: I'd like to hear more warning instruments being used on cycles !!!!!!!![/p][/quote]I cannot agree more. If I had a pound for every time I have nearly been run into by cyclists riding on the FOOTPATH I would a rich man. Still on the subject. Some cyclists seem to want it all their own way. One young chap I know thinks nothing about riding the wrong way down a one way system, ignoring red lights, whizzing through town centres and pedestrianised precincts, but just hear him howl when on the rare occasion he uses the road, a vehicle gets too near!!![/p][/quote]Anecdotal stories do not make a truth and the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence'. 'One young chap I know..' That means nothing if indeed he does exist and if you aren't exaggerating a single incident out of all proportion. As for 'warning instruments on bikes', words fail me and I absolutely do not believe you have nearly been run over on a footpath at all, never mind the numerous times you are claiming.[/p][/quote]It wasn't anecdotal Chris. The young lad I mentioned is my nephew.[/p][/quote]Award yourself a medal. Chris P Bacon

8:03pm Sun 11 Nov 12

jack daniels says...

Chris P Bacon wrote:
Izanears wrote:
Chris P Bacon wrote:
Izanears wrote:
Old Alzheimer wrote:
I'd like to hear more warning instruments being used on cycles !!!!!!!!
I cannot agree more. If I had a pound for every time I have nearly been run into by cyclists riding on the FOOTPATH I would a rich man. Still on the subject. Some cyclists seem to want it all their own way. One young chap I know thinks nothing about riding the wrong way down a one way system, ignoring red lights, whizzing through town centres and pedestrianised precincts, but just hear him howl when on the rare occasion he uses the road, a vehicle gets too near!!!
Anecdotal stories do not make a truth and the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence'.

'One young chap I know..' That means nothing if indeed he does exist and if you aren't exaggerating a single incident out of all proportion.

As for 'warning instruments on bikes', words fail me and I absolutely do not believe you have nearly been run over on a footpath at all, never mind the numerous times you are claiming.
It wasn't anecdotal Chris. The young lad I mentioned is my nephew.
Award yourself a medal.
Looks like you're showing yourself up again crispy. Let people tell their stories and who are you to hold court on what's the truth?
[quote][p][bold]Chris P Bacon[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Izanears[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chris P Bacon[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Izanears[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Old Alzheimer[/bold] wrote: I'd like to hear more warning instruments being used on cycles !!!!!!!![/p][/quote]I cannot agree more. If I had a pound for every time I have nearly been run into by cyclists riding on the FOOTPATH I would a rich man. Still on the subject. Some cyclists seem to want it all their own way. One young chap I know thinks nothing about riding the wrong way down a one way system, ignoring red lights, whizzing through town centres and pedestrianised precincts, but just hear him howl when on the rare occasion he uses the road, a vehicle gets too near!!![/p][/quote]Anecdotal stories do not make a truth and the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence'. 'One young chap I know..' That means nothing if indeed he does exist and if you aren't exaggerating a single incident out of all proportion. As for 'warning instruments on bikes', words fail me and I absolutely do not believe you have nearly been run over on a footpath at all, never mind the numerous times you are claiming.[/p][/quote]It wasn't anecdotal Chris. The young lad I mentioned is my nephew.[/p][/quote]Award yourself a medal.[/p][/quote]Looks like you're showing yourself up again crispy. Let people tell their stories and who are you to hold court on what's the truth? jack daniels

8:39pm Sun 11 Nov 12

Barb-Dwyer says...

Cyclists are the most ignorant and inconsiderate road users I have ever come across.

If they want consideration they should earn it ie abide by the rules of the road- dont jump red lights, abide by the signage, etc. Why do the majority ride like they own the road? 2 abreast and wont move over no matter what. Surprised there arent more accidents.

I drive a car and ride a motorcycle. If i rode my motorbike the way I see cyclists riding im sure it wouldnt be long before PC Plod was after me.
Cyclists are the most ignorant and inconsiderate road users I have ever come across. If they want consideration they should earn it ie abide by the rules of the road- dont jump red lights, abide by the signage, etc. Why do the majority ride like they own the road? 2 abreast and wont move over no matter what. Surprised there arent more accidents. I drive a car and ride a motorcycle. If i rode my motorbike the way I see cyclists riding im sure it wouldnt be long before PC Plod was after me. Barb-Dwyer

9:04pm Sun 11 Nov 12

Chris P Bacon says...

Barb-Dwyer wrote:
Cyclists are the most ignorant and inconsiderate road users I have ever come across.

If they want consideration they should earn it ie abide by the rules of the road- dont jump red lights, abide by the signage, etc. Why do the majority ride like they own the road? 2 abreast and wont move over no matter what. Surprised there arent more accidents.

I drive a car and ride a motorcycle. If i rode my motorbike the way I see cyclists riding im sure it wouldnt be long before PC Plod was after me.
Except you're making that up, aren't you? Admit it, you're following false stories to give them a scintilla of credibility but anyone with any sense will see that you are following false flags there.
[quote][p][bold]Barb-Dwyer[/bold] wrote: Cyclists are the most ignorant and inconsiderate road users I have ever come across. If they want consideration they should earn it ie abide by the rules of the road- dont jump red lights, abide by the signage, etc. Why do the majority ride like they own the road? 2 abreast and wont move over no matter what. Surprised there arent more accidents. I drive a car and ride a motorcycle. If i rode my motorbike the way I see cyclists riding im sure it wouldnt be long before PC Plod was after me.[/p][/quote]Except you're making that up, aren't you? Admit it, you're following false stories to give them a scintilla of credibility but anyone with any sense will see that you are following false flags there. Chris P Bacon

9:17pm Sun 11 Nov 12

Chris P Bacon says...

jack daniels wrote:
Chris P Bacon wrote:
Izanears wrote:
Chris P Bacon wrote:
Izanears wrote:
Old Alzheimer wrote:
I'd like to hear more warning instruments being used on cycles !!!!!!!!
I cannot agree more. If I had a pound for every time I have nearly been run into by cyclists riding on the FOOTPATH I would a rich man. Still on the subject. Some cyclists seem to want it all their own way. One young chap I know thinks nothing about riding the wrong way down a one way system, ignoring red lights, whizzing through town centres and pedestrianised precincts, but just hear him howl when on the rare occasion he uses the road, a vehicle gets too near!!!
Anecdotal stories do not make a truth and the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence'.

'One young chap I know..' That means nothing if indeed he does exist and if you aren't exaggerating a single incident out of all proportion.

As for 'warning instruments on bikes', words fail me and I absolutely do not believe you have nearly been run over on a footpath at all, never mind the numerous times you are claiming.
It wasn't anecdotal Chris. The young lad I mentioned is my nephew.
Award yourself a medal.
Looks like you're showing yourself up again crispy. Let people tell their stories and who are you to hold court on what's the truth?
Who are you to ask who I am to hold court on what's the truth? Anyone can come out with ludicrous shullbit (as we've seen ample evidence of in the week just past) so it's only natural to request they come up with some facts and not stand by and accept any old pony as being Gospel. Most anti-cycling stories tend to be from bitter anti-cyclists and they need to be made to substantiate their claims.
[quote][p][bold]jack daniels[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chris P Bacon[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Izanears[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chris P Bacon[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Izanears[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Old Alzheimer[/bold] wrote: I'd like to hear more warning instruments being used on cycles !!!!!!!![/p][/quote]I cannot agree more. If I had a pound for every time I have nearly been run into by cyclists riding on the FOOTPATH I would a rich man. Still on the subject. Some cyclists seem to want it all their own way. One young chap I know thinks nothing about riding the wrong way down a one way system, ignoring red lights, whizzing through town centres and pedestrianised precincts, but just hear him howl when on the rare occasion he uses the road, a vehicle gets too near!!![/p][/quote]Anecdotal stories do not make a truth and the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence'. 'One young chap I know..' That means nothing if indeed he does exist and if you aren't exaggerating a single incident out of all proportion. As for 'warning instruments on bikes', words fail me and I absolutely do not believe you have nearly been run over on a footpath at all, never mind the numerous times you are claiming.[/p][/quote]It wasn't anecdotal Chris. The young lad I mentioned is my nephew.[/p][/quote]Award yourself a medal.[/p][/quote]Looks like you're showing yourself up again crispy. Let people tell their stories and who are you to hold court on what's the truth?[/p][/quote]Who are you to ask who I am to hold court on what's the truth? Anyone can come out with ludicrous shullbit (as we've seen ample evidence of in the week just past) so it's only natural to request they come up with some facts and not stand by and accept any old pony as being Gospel. Most anti-cycling stories tend to be from bitter anti-cyclists and they need to be made to substantiate their claims. Chris P Bacon

1:11am Mon 12 Nov 12

Major Tom says...

Here they are! The disciples are out in force to defend their idol, Wiggy of Bradley Ecclestown.
Buy -a-bike.... buy-a-bike...
Here they are! The disciples are out in force to defend their idol, Wiggy of Bradley Ecclestown. Buy -a-bike.... buy-a-bike... Major Tom

6:40pm Mon 12 Nov 12

jack daniels says...

Chris P Bacon wrote:
jack daniels wrote:
Chris P Bacon wrote:
Izanears wrote:
Chris P Bacon wrote:
Izanears wrote:
Old Alzheimer wrote:
I'd like to hear more warning instruments being used on cycles !!!!!!!!
I cannot agree more. If I had a pound for every time I have nearly been run into by cyclists riding on the FOOTPATH I would a rich man. Still on the subject. Some cyclists seem to want it all their own way. One young chap I know thinks nothing about riding the wrong way down a one way system, ignoring red lights, whizzing through town centres and pedestrianised precincts, but just hear him howl when on the rare occasion he uses the road, a vehicle gets too near!!!
Anecdotal stories do not make a truth and the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence'.

'One young chap I know..' That means nothing if indeed he does exist and if you aren't exaggerating a single incident out of all proportion.

As for 'warning instruments on bikes', words fail me and I absolutely do not believe you have nearly been run over on a footpath at all, never mind the numerous times you are claiming.
It wasn't anecdotal Chris. The young lad I mentioned is my nephew.
Award yourself a medal.
Looks like you're showing yourself up again crispy. Let people tell their stories and who are you to hold court on what's the truth?
Who are you to ask who I am to hold court on what's the truth? Anyone can come out with ludicrous shullbit (as we've seen ample evidence of in the week just past) so it's only natural to request they come up with some facts and not stand by and accept any old pony as being Gospel. Most anti-cycling stories tend to be from bitter anti-cyclists and they need to be made to substantiate their claims.
Or you just can't stomach the truth.
[quote][p][bold]Chris P Bacon[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jack daniels[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chris P Bacon[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Izanears[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chris P Bacon[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Izanears[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Old Alzheimer[/bold] wrote: I'd like to hear more warning instruments being used on cycles !!!!!!!![/p][/quote]I cannot agree more. If I had a pound for every time I have nearly been run into by cyclists riding on the FOOTPATH I would a rich man. Still on the subject. Some cyclists seem to want it all their own way. One young chap I know thinks nothing about riding the wrong way down a one way system, ignoring red lights, whizzing through town centres and pedestrianised precincts, but just hear him howl when on the rare occasion he uses the road, a vehicle gets too near!!![/p][/quote]Anecdotal stories do not make a truth and the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence'. 'One young chap I know..' That means nothing if indeed he does exist and if you aren't exaggerating a single incident out of all proportion. As for 'warning instruments on bikes', words fail me and I absolutely do not believe you have nearly been run over on a footpath at all, never mind the numerous times you are claiming.[/p][/quote]It wasn't anecdotal Chris. The young lad I mentioned is my nephew.[/p][/quote]Award yourself a medal.[/p][/quote]Looks like you're showing yourself up again crispy. Let people tell their stories and who are you to hold court on what's the truth?[/p][/quote]Who are you to ask who I am to hold court on what's the truth? Anyone can come out with ludicrous shullbit (as we've seen ample evidence of in the week just past) so it's only natural to request they come up with some facts and not stand by and accept any old pony as being Gospel. Most anti-cycling stories tend to be from bitter anti-cyclists and they need to be made to substantiate their claims.[/p][/quote]Or you just can't stomach the truth. jack daniels

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree