When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
East Lancashire gets all fired up for Bonfire Night
9:11am Thursday 1st November 2012 in News
PREPARATIONS for Bonfire Night are well under way by organisers of firework displays across East Lancashire.
The areas largest display will be held at Blackburn’s Witton Park, where 20,000 people are expected, while thousands more will be entertained at Thornton Hall Farm.
More than a dozen smaller displays are also planned across the weekend.
Emma Bradley, director of the Quadtrex display at, Thornton Hall Farm’s, said: “This year’s display will be set to music and should be a fantastic show.
“There will be fire breathers for the children and a bar for the mums and dads. Most of it will be undercover so we don’t need to worry if the weather’s bad.”
For those planning to stay at home and create their own display, the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents’ advice is to plan well in advance and heed health and safety advice.
Sheila Merrill, RoSPA’s public health adviser, said: “Sparklers should not be given to children under five, and should be lit one at a time. Gloves should be worn for protection. Each year, hundreds of people are injured by fireworks on, and around Bonfire Night.
“Make sure you know what to do if things go wrong. Don’t leave safety until the last minute.”
Bonfire and firework displays near you
Amongst the bonfires taking place are:
- Chorley Rugby Club, Chancery Road, Friday, 6pm, adults £2, children £1
- Accrington Cricket Club, Thorneyholme Road, Saturday, 6.30pm
- Witton Park, Blackburn, Saturday, 7pm, adults £2, children £1
- Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service Training Centre, Euxton, Saturday, 6pm
- Welly Bob’s Farm, Roman Road, Darwen, Saturday, 6.30pm, adults £5, children £3
- Worden Park, Leyland, 6pm, Monday, £3 adv, £5 on night, under-5s free
- The Railway Gastropub, Wigan Road, Euxton, Saturday, 6pm
- Alston Hall, Alston Lane, Longridge, Saturday, 6.30pm, adults £6.50, children £5
- Haslingden Cricket Club, Bentgate, Haslingden, Saturday, 6pm, adults £2, children £1
- Thornton Hall Farm, Thornton-in-Craven, Saturday, 5pm, adults £8, children £6, must book in advance
- Greenmount Scouts, Longsight Road Playing Field, Ramsbottom, Saturday, 6.30pm, adults £5, children £1, must book in advance
- Laneshawbridge Village, off Emmott Lane, Saturday, 7.30pm, free entry
- Higham Village, Higham Hall Road, Higham, Saturday, 6pm, £3 per person, £10 per family
- Huntleys, Whalley Road, Samlesbury, Sunday, 6pm