SUMMER has arrived which means it’s officially salad season.
But that doesn’t mean your mealtimes have to be boring. You can add all sorts of ingredients into a salad to spice them up a bit.
Here we bring out the British turkey, often overlooked in summer, to serve up this weekend in the sunshine. Being low in saturated fat and high in protein, the breast meat is also a healthy choice,
especially if you are watching your figure in readiness for beachwear.
TURKEY, MELON AND GRAPEFRUIT SALAD
400g/ 14oz British turkey breast strips
1 cantaloupe melon
2 pink or white grapefruit
12 cherry tomatoes
85g/3 1/2oz bag of watercress sprigs
1tsp sunflower oil
3tbsp soy sauce
1/2tsp lemon grass puree
1tbsp sunflower oil
2tbsp rice vinegar
Pinch of sugar
Salt and black pepper
1. Halve the melon and discard the seeds. Scoop out the flesh using a melon baller or peel and cut into bite-sized pieces.
Cut off the peel and pith from the grapefruit and divide into segments, catching any juice that runs out in a bowl.
2. Slice the cucumber, halve the cherry tomatoes and pick over the watercress discarding any yellow leaves or coarse stalks. Keep the prepared ingredients in a bowl covered with cling film until
3. Heat the oil in a heavy non-stick frying pan and fry the turkey strips over a brisk heat for 5 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked through.
4. Whisk the dressing ingredients into the reserved grapefruit juice. As soon as the turkey is cooked, drain it from the pan and add to the bowl. Set aside to cool.
5. Divide the melon, grapefruit, cucumber, cherry tomatoes and watercress between serving dishes and spoon over the turkey and dressing. Toss lightly and serve.