Lancashire TelegraphCouncillors in Sudell-Sunnyhurst cash row (From Lancashire Telegraph)

When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.

Councillors in Sudell-Sunnyhurst cash row

Lancashire Telegraph: Sudellside Street, Darwen Sudellside Street, Darwen

A ROW erupted over ‘disproportionate’ spending by the council in areas of Darwen.

During a Blackburn with Darwen Council forum at Blackburn Town Hall, Sudell Coun Roy Davies said not enough money was being spent on his ward.

It came during a debate on compulsory purchase orders - when the council takes ownership of empty properties to bring them back into use - on Thursday night.

During the meeting, executive member for housing Coun Yusuf Jan-Virmani, reported that 40 Gillibrand Street and 12 Westwell Street had been approved for compulsory purchase orders.

But Coun Davies said more needed to be done in the Sudell area.

He said: “We have a lot of empty properties in Sudell, one of the worst problems in the borough.

“I would like to see more action on this in terms of compulsory purchase orders.

“Sunnyhurst ward has received £20million and we have got nothing.

“I want this put right.”

Sunnyhurst councillor Dave Smith responded: “The reason Sunnyhurst ward got the money is because of Housing Market Renewal (HMR), which your coalition Government stopped after five years.

“Liberal Democrat councillors cost the council money by opposing HMR demolitions at appeals.

“On the one hand they want more spending and on the other they make the council spend money on legal fees.”

Housing Market Renewal was scrapped in 2011 and was a scheme of demolition, refurbishment and house-building aimed at renewing the failing housing market.

Blackburn with Darwen Council leader Kate Hollern said: “HMR was supposed to last for 15 years but was stopped after five.

“Some of it was about demolition and some of it was about refurbishment.

“If it had gone ahead, Sudell would have benefited.”

Coun Jan-Virmani said: “We do everything we can.

“Some houses are empty awaiting new tenants or refurbishment.

“We are keen to tackle empty properties as we are trying to improve the borough.

“I will happily meet you and discuss what we can do in Sudell.”

Comments (19)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:55pm Sat 28 Jun 14

Excluded again says...

When the HMR money was there, Liberal Councillors in Sudell campaigned against it. So they didn't get any. At the same time Sunnyhurst Councillors had the wit to campaign for the money to be spent in their area. Now the same Liberals are complaining no money was spent in their area. You reap what you sow.
When the HMR money was there, Liberal Councillors in Sudell campaigned against it. So they didn't get any. At the same time Sunnyhurst Councillors had the wit to campaign for the money to be spent in their area. Now the same Liberals are complaining no money was spent in their area. You reap what you sow. Excluded again
  • Score: 19

7:32pm Sat 28 Jun 14

fireonthemountain says...

And as usual , it's all about politics .

It should be about the ratepayers , communities and buildings .

That's me living in fantasy land .

I live in the Sudell area - putting up with the derelict , burnt out
buildings , which attract the vermin (animal and human) .

Nobody cares - apart from the residents of course . Who cares
about us ? Ron Davies does - sadly he appears to have been
outmanouvered by the expert political point scorers .

Never mind . It will get a lot worse when Katie-baby becomes an MP .
And if The Red Prince gets Darwen .......make plans to emigrate .
And as usual , it's all about politics . It should be about the ratepayers , communities and buildings . That's me living in fantasy land . I live in the Sudell area - putting up with the derelict , burnt out buildings , which attract the vermin (animal and human) . Nobody cares - apart from the residents of course . Who cares about us ? Ron Davies does - sadly he appears to have been outmanouvered by the expert political point scorers . Never mind . It will get a lot worse when Katie-baby becomes an MP . And if The Red Prince gets Darwen .......make plans to emigrate . fireonthemountain
  • Score: 7

8:46pm Sat 28 Jun 14

Wishingwell says...

fireonthemountain wrote:
And as usual , it's all about politics .

It should be about the ratepayers , communities and buildings .

That's me living in fantasy land .

I live in the Sudell area - putting up with the derelict , burnt out
buildings , which attract the vermin (animal and human) .

Nobody cares - apart from the residents of course . Who cares
about us ? Ron Davies does - sadly he appears to have been
outmanouvered by the expert political point scorers .

Never mind . It will get a lot worse when Katie-baby becomes an MP .
And if The Red Prince gets Darwen .......make plans to emigrate .
Ray Davies is a local man who cares about his community. Housing Market Renewal is about about providing new housing at below market rates which usually involves taxpayer subsidy in some form. The sale of this new housing has undermined the value of older local private housing stock and therefore has reduced people's investment in the latter. One can argue it is a good thing because new housing is more "environmentally friendly", or you can say it is the state undermining the value of older housing as there is always a limited number of buyers for homes. Either way it is politics and not always what it seems as a lot of "Affordable Housing" is nothing more than a slave trap.- ALWAYS READ THE SMALL PRINT!"
[quote][p][bold]fireonthemountain[/bold] wrote: And as usual , it's all about politics . It should be about the ratepayers , communities and buildings . That's me living in fantasy land . I live in the Sudell area - putting up with the derelict , burnt out buildings , which attract the vermin (animal and human) . Nobody cares - apart from the residents of course . Who cares about us ? Ron Davies does - sadly he appears to have been outmanouvered by the expert political point scorers . Never mind . It will get a lot worse when Katie-baby becomes an MP . And if The Red Prince gets Darwen .......make plans to emigrate .[/p][/quote]Ray Davies is a local man who cares about his community. Housing Market Renewal is about about providing new housing at below market rates which usually involves taxpayer subsidy in some form. The sale of this new housing has undermined the value of older local private housing stock and therefore has reduced people's investment in the latter. One can argue it is a good thing because new housing is more "environmentally friendly", or you can say it is the state undermining the value of older housing as there is always a limited number of buyers for homes. Either way it is politics and not always what it seems as a lot of "Affordable Housing" is nothing more than a slave trap.- ALWAYS READ THE SMALL PRINT!" Wishingwell
  • Score: -8

10:42pm Sat 28 Jun 14

child44 says...

Excluded again wrote:
When the HMR money was there, Liberal Councillors in Sudell campaigned against it. So they didn't get any. At the same time Sunnyhurst Councillors had the wit to campaign for the money to be spent in their area. Now the same Liberals are complaining no money was spent in their area. You reap what you sow.
Don't be so bloody petty.
[quote][p][bold]Excluded again[/bold] wrote: When the HMR money was there, Liberal Councillors in Sudell campaigned against it. So they didn't get any. At the same time Sunnyhurst Councillors had the wit to campaign for the money to be spent in their area. Now the same Liberals are complaining no money was spent in their area. You reap what you sow.[/p][/quote]Don't be so bloody petty. child44
  • Score: -21

9:07am Sun 29 Jun 14

Hendog says...

Yet another argument for council members to be non party affiliated. Every argument stems from their own party politics vs another, all councillor leaflets, etc is always focused on the party. Nothing is about the residents

It's the standard
The opposite party did a, we do not agree with a
The reason we did a was because of the policy put in place by b

When have you ever read
The reason we did this was because the people we represent have asked for it
Yet another argument for council members to be non party affiliated. Every argument stems from their own party politics vs another, all councillor leaflets, etc is always focused on the party. Nothing is about the residents It's the standard The opposite party did a, we do not agree with a The reason we did a was because of the policy put in place by b When have you ever read The reason we did this was because the people we represent have asked for it Hendog
  • Score: 7

10:06am Sun 29 Jun 14

jackmetickler says...

new century..... we as voters should be voting for new political ideas...
these half wits have been doing the same for last 100 years and it does not work...

However you are the voters.... so do something about it instead of whingeing ....
new century..... we as voters should be voting for new political ideas... these half wits have been doing the same for last 100 years and it does not work... However you are the voters.... so do something about it instead of whingeing .... jackmetickler
  • Score: 1

10:51am Sun 29 Jun 14

past it says...

It seems that Coun Roy Davies is ruled by the green eyed giant, or maybe trying to cover up not doing his job, by blaming others, at the end of the day Darwen has become a run down area, and needs vast improvement's in housing and roads. Also people in Sunnyhurst pay rates etc. just the same as sudell so why should Sunnyhurst be deprived of funds or does Coun Roy Davies, want it to become like Sudell area?
It seems that Coun Roy Davies is ruled by the green eyed giant, or maybe trying to cover up not doing his job, by blaming others, at the end of the day Darwen has become a run down area, and needs vast improvement's in housing and roads. Also people in Sunnyhurst pay rates etc. just the same as sudell so why should Sunnyhurst be deprived of funds or does Coun Roy Davies, want it to become like Sudell area? past it
  • Score: 1

11:39am Sun 29 Jun 14

Darreners make sense says...

Incorrect reporting as usual. Gillibrand St. Is in Earcroft ward not Sunnyhurst.
Incorrect reporting as usual. Gillibrand St. Is in Earcroft ward not Sunnyhurst. Darreners make sense
  • Score: 3

4:06pm Sun 29 Jun 14

english rose 1 says...

child44 wrote:
Excluded again wrote:
When the HMR money was there, Liberal Councillors in Sudell campaigned against it. So they didn't get any. At the same time Sunnyhurst Councillors had the wit to campaign for the money to be spent in their area. Now the same Liberals are complaining no money was spent in their area. You reap what you sow.
Don't be so bloody petty.
It happens to be true though ..
[quote][p][bold]child44[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Excluded again[/bold] wrote: When the HMR money was there, Liberal Councillors in Sudell campaigned against it. So they didn't get any. At the same time Sunnyhurst Councillors had the wit to campaign for the money to be spent in their area. Now the same Liberals are complaining no money was spent in their area. You reap what you sow.[/p][/quote]Don't be so bloody petty.[/p][/quote]It happens to be true though .. english rose 1
  • Score: 5

11:41pm Sun 29 Jun 14

Dan Clough says...

Darreners make sense wrote:
Incorrect reporting as usual. Gillibrand St. Is in Earcroft ward not Sunnyhurst.
It doesn't say Gillibrand St is in Sunnyhurst
[quote][p][bold]Darreners make sense[/bold] wrote: Incorrect reporting as usual. Gillibrand St. Is in Earcroft ward not Sunnyhurst.[/p][/quote]It doesn't say Gillibrand St is in Sunnyhurst Dan Clough
  • Score: 3

7:18am Mon 30 Jun 14

BuckoTheMoose says...

Big point being missed here - All areas should be spending a lot less. I thought there were supposed to be cuts?
Big point being missed here - All areas should be spending a lot less. I thought there were supposed to be cuts? BuckoTheMoose
  • Score: -2

8:12am Mon 30 Jun 14

flogemandwhipem says...

Like fireonthemountain I live in Sudell and have watched this area deteriate over the years, mainly due to rogue landlords who are quite happy to let their properties to any chav families as long as they get their money, not caring about the effect on the few remaining decent folk. So now we get rubbish dumped in the back streets, dog mess ( why do chavs always have to have a dog ?) kids on bikes ignored by their parents too busy with their cans of lager, their 3000 "friends" on Facebook, broken windows, an old sheet at a window for a curtain, no community pride at all.
And the Asians in the area don't help either, they seem to be able to close off a whole street for their cricket matches with the resultant noise and litter and damage caused by cricket balls, but the police seem unable or unwilling to do anything about this. (scared they'll play the racist card?)
Clamp down on the rogue landlords, put the chav families on limited tenancies to make them behave and Sudell might just get back to what it used to be.
Like fireonthemountain I live in Sudell and have watched this area deteriate over the years, mainly due to rogue landlords who are quite happy to let their properties to any chav families as long as they get their money, not caring about the effect on the few remaining decent folk. So now we get rubbish dumped in the back streets, dog mess ( why do chavs always have to have a dog ?) kids on bikes ignored by their parents too busy with their cans of lager, their 3000 "friends" on Facebook, broken windows, an old sheet at a window for a curtain, no community pride at all. And the Asians in the area don't help either, they seem to be able to close off a whole street for their cricket matches with the resultant noise and litter and damage caused by cricket balls, but the police seem unable or unwilling to do anything about this. (scared they'll play the racist card?) Clamp down on the rogue landlords, put the chav families on limited tenancies to make them behave and Sudell might just get back to what it used to be. flogemandwhipem
  • Score: 9

8:31am Mon 30 Jun 14

gutterpress says...

I agree with flogemandwhipem.
Many problems in Sudell down to moneygrabbing landlords.
I agree with flogemandwhipem. Many problems in Sudell down to moneygrabbing landlords. gutterpress
  • Score: 6

3:28pm Mon 30 Jun 14

louderfasterlonger says...

Wishingwell wrote:
fireonthemountain wrote:
And as usual , it's all about politics .

It should be about the ratepayers , communities and buildings .

That's me living in fantasy land .

I live in the Sudell area - putting up with the derelict , burnt out
buildings , which attract the vermin (animal and human) .

Nobody cares - apart from the residents of course . Who cares
about us ? Ron Davies does - sadly he appears to have been
outmanouvered by the expert political point scorers .

Never mind . It will get a lot worse when Katie-baby becomes an MP .
And if The Red Prince gets Darwen .......make plans to emigrate .
Ray Davies is a local man who cares about his community. Housing Market Renewal is about about providing new housing at below market rates which usually involves taxpayer subsidy in some form. The sale of this new housing has undermined the value of older local private housing stock and therefore has reduced people's investment in the latter. One can argue it is a good thing because new housing is more "environmentall
y friendly", or you can say it is the state undermining the value of older housing as there is always a limited number of buyers for homes. Either way it is politics and not always what it seems as a lot of "Affordable Housing" is nothing more than a slave trap.- ALWAYS READ THE SMALL PRINT!"
I think you miss the point... the Housing Stock renewal scheme not only demolished and replaced houses, around 100 existing terraced houses on Harwood Street and Hindle street benefited from improvements. Many more were earmarked for improvement under the scheme until the Con / Dem coalition pulled the scheme.
[quote][p][bold]Wishingwell[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]fireonthemountain[/bold] wrote: And as usual , it's all about politics . It should be about the ratepayers , communities and buildings . That's me living in fantasy land . I live in the Sudell area - putting up with the derelict , burnt out buildings , which attract the vermin (animal and human) . Nobody cares - apart from the residents of course . Who cares about us ? Ron Davies does - sadly he appears to have been outmanouvered by the expert political point scorers . Never mind . It will get a lot worse when Katie-baby becomes an MP . And if The Red Prince gets Darwen .......make plans to emigrate .[/p][/quote]Ray Davies is a local man who cares about his community. Housing Market Renewal is about about providing new housing at below market rates which usually involves taxpayer subsidy in some form. The sale of this new housing has undermined the value of older local private housing stock and therefore has reduced people's investment in the latter. One can argue it is a good thing because new housing is more "environmentall y friendly", or you can say it is the state undermining the value of older housing as there is always a limited number of buyers for homes. Either way it is politics and not always what it seems as a lot of "Affordable Housing" is nothing more than a slave trap.- ALWAYS READ THE SMALL PRINT!"[/p][/quote]I think you miss the point... the Housing Stock renewal scheme not only demolished and replaced houses, around 100 existing terraced houses on Harwood Street and Hindle street benefited from improvements. Many more were earmarked for improvement under the scheme until the Con / Dem coalition pulled the scheme. louderfasterlonger
  • Score: 5

5:25pm Mon 30 Jun 14

Darreners make sense says...

Dan Clough wrote:
Darreners make sense wrote:
Incorrect reporting as usual. Gillibrand St. Is in Earcroft ward not Sunnyhurst.
It doesn't say Gillibrand St is in Sunnyhurst
The headlines are about Sudell-Sunnyhurst cash row so Gillibrand has no place being mentioned in this report as it is in Earcroft ward
[quote][p][bold]Dan Clough[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Darreners make sense[/bold] wrote: Incorrect reporting as usual. Gillibrand St. Is in Earcroft ward not Sunnyhurst.[/p][/quote]It doesn't say Gillibrand St is in Sunnyhurst[/p][/quote]The headlines are about Sudell-Sunnyhurst cash row so Gillibrand has no place being mentioned in this report as it is in Earcroft ward Darreners make sense
  • Score: 1

11:21pm Mon 30 Jun 14

fireonthemountain says...

Firstly , may I congratulate flogemandwhipem for an excellent post .

And to gutterpress for backing him up .

May i make clear that I do not know the precise boundaries of Sudell .

But this is what i do not understand , I welcome debate as always .

If you nip down Nancy Street , wow , all houses have been done up .
Turn right , same again , in the entire area !

Wish they'd do our houses up - but they won't .

Probably because we all own them . Yes , we pay for our own repairs .
We pay full poll tax , and tax and NI on our incomes .

Which means...... we get nothing .

Actually that's not true .

We get the fear of never leaving our houses after dark .
We get the joy of - superb , my car has not been vandalised - bonus !
We get to worry and wonder when we're on holiday , is our house still standing ? Has it been broken into ?

Still , at least we are delighted that the council-politicos are on
fabulous salaries , expenses and pensions , for doing.....erm , not sure .

Well , apart from cutting services and thinking up new ways of
destroying Darwen Town Centre .

PATHETIC .
Firstly , may I congratulate flogemandwhipem for an excellent post . And to gutterpress for backing him up . May i make clear that I do not know the precise boundaries of Sudell . But this is what i do not understand , I welcome debate as always . If you nip down Nancy Street , wow , all houses have been done up . Turn right , same again , in the entire area ! Wish they'd do our houses up - but they won't . Probably because we all own them . Yes , we pay for our own repairs . We pay full poll tax , and tax and NI on our incomes . Which means...... we get nothing . Actually that's not true . We get the fear of never leaving our houses after dark . We get the joy of - superb , my car has not been vandalised - bonus ! We get to worry and wonder when we're on holiday , is our house still standing ? Has it been broken into ? Still , at least we are delighted that the council-politicos are on fabulous salaries , expenses and pensions , for doing.....erm , not sure . Well , apart from cutting services and thinking up new ways of destroying Darwen Town Centre . PATHETIC . fireonthemountain
  • Score: -1

6:59am Tue 1 Jul 14

Excluded again says...

Fireonthemountan, that is exactly the point. Nancy Street and the surrounding streets are in Sunnyhurst Ward,

When the HMR monies became available, there were far more areas needed the money than there was money available. Sunnyhurst Councillors campaigned hard for areas in their Ward to be included. Meanwhile Sudell Liberal Councillors campaigned against HMR.

The result was that the Nancy Street area was done up and your area was not. Nothing to do with you owning your own homes. Lots of people in the Nancy Street area own their own homes. More to do with Councillors who failed to campaign for their area to be included.
Fireonthemountan, that is exactly the point. Nancy Street and the surrounding streets are in Sunnyhurst Ward, When the HMR monies became available, there were far more areas needed the money than there was money available. Sunnyhurst Councillors campaigned hard for areas in their Ward to be included. Meanwhile Sudell Liberal Councillors campaigned against HMR. The result was that the Nancy Street area was done up and your area was not. Nothing to do with you owning your own homes. Lots of people in the Nancy Street area own their own homes. More to do with Councillors who failed to campaign for their area to be included. Excluded again
  • Score: 3

10:03am Tue 1 Jul 14

Dan Clough says...

Darreners make sense wrote:
Dan Clough wrote:
Darreners make sense wrote:
Incorrect reporting as usual. Gillibrand St. Is in Earcroft ward not Sunnyhurst.
It doesn't say Gillibrand St is in Sunnyhurst
The headlines are about Sudell-Sunnyhurst cash row so Gillibrand has no place being mentioned in this report as it is in Earcroft ward
The debate in town hall was sparked by the announcement of these CPOs so it is merely reporting the council proceedings
[quote][p][bold]Darreners make sense[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dan Clough[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Darreners make sense[/bold] wrote: Incorrect reporting as usual. Gillibrand St. Is in Earcroft ward not Sunnyhurst.[/p][/quote]It doesn't say Gillibrand St is in Sunnyhurst[/p][/quote]The headlines are about Sudell-Sunnyhurst cash row so Gillibrand has no place being mentioned in this report as it is in Earcroft ward[/p][/quote]The debate in town hall was sparked by the announcement of these CPOs so it is merely reporting the council proceedings Dan Clough
  • Score: 1

9:15pm Sat 12 Jul 14

SlimJimz says...

What? politicians arguing about money? Why not just take it off the poor ... oh wait, you're already doing that .. ok, what about taxing the rich? oh .. no , won't do that .. Ok, what about the children? i'm sure the debt you can get the kids into will pay for it? Or why not just ask Wonga? I mean, they contribute to the condemn government which is why they can choose an extortionate 5000% interest or so.
Oh well, guess we're back at digging big holes for the poor again.
What? politicians arguing about money? Why not just take it off the poor ... oh wait, you're already doing that .. ok, what about taxing the rich? oh .. no , won't do that .. Ok, what about the children? i'm sure the debt you can get the kids into will pay for it? Or why not just ask Wonga? I mean, they contribute to the condemn government which is why they can choose an extortionate 5000% interest or so. Oh well, guess we're back at digging big holes for the poor again. SlimJimz
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree