Armed robber threatens Burnley Spar staff

The Spar shop, in Manchester Road, Burnley

The Spar shop, in Manchester Road, Burnley

First published in News Lancashire Telegraph: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter

A MAN who threatened staff in a shop with a knife during an armed robbery is being hunted by police.

The man, wearing gloves, a jacket over his head and a balaclava, burst into the Spar shop, in Manchester Road, Burnley, at around 9.30pm on Saturday.

He ordered two female workers to hand over the contents of the till, which amounted to £85, before fleeing the shop.

It is the second time the store has been raided in the space of seven months.

Donald Wells, who runs the sh-op, said: “The two members of staff were shocked but they seemed to have coped with it quite well, which is a relief.

“It looks like the man has been waiting further up Manchester Road, watching the shop until all customers have gone.

“He only got away with £85 as we are careful not to leave too much money in the till having been done before. It’s madness really, it’s armed robbery and you are looking at a prison sentence all for £85. It’s not worth it. Hopefully police can catch him as anybody who can do this kind of thing is clearly dangerous, and could do it again.”

On November 5 last year hundreds of pounds were stolen from the convenience store in Rosehill, with two members of staff also threatened with a knife.

On that occasion police said they believed the man had waited for almost two hours outside the store before the attack.

Mr Wells, 60, has run the Manchester Road store for 10 years with Linda, 62. He said: “Although he only got away with £85 it is a lot of inconvenience and stress for people. Me and my wife were at home asleep when staff called us to tell us what had happened. We didn’t get home until 2am and then had to be up at 5.30am to open up today (Sunday).

“Staff had to give statements to police and were shook up by what happened. There were four police officers here and the police helicopter was up, so it all costs a lot of money.”

Detective Insp Nick Hodgeson, of East CID, said: “This must have been a terrifying experience for these members of staff and I would appeal for anyone with any information or who knows who this man may be to get in touch with the police.”

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:07am Tue 24 Jun 14

useyourhead says...

zero comments after 24 hours v 60 or so for the mcdonalds 'foamgate'. Exactly as I predicted.
zero comments after 24 hours v 60 or so for the mcdonalds 'foamgate'. Exactly as I predicted. useyourhead
  • Score: 4

12:35pm Wed 25 Jun 14

Pendlesider says...

useyourhead wrote:
zero comments after 24 hours v 60 or so for the mcdonalds 'foamgate'. Exactly as I predicted.
i didn't have time to comment on the McDonalds foam fun video incident, I was in too much of a mcflurry.
[quote][p][bold]useyourhead[/bold] wrote: zero comments after 24 hours v 60 or so for the mcdonalds 'foamgate'. Exactly as I predicted.[/p][/quote]i didn't have time to comment on the McDonalds foam fun video incident, I was in too much of a mcflurry. Pendlesider
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree