Father of man killed in Blackburn attack condemns ‘punch machines’

A punch machine

A punch machine

First published in News Lancashire Telegraph: Photograph of the Author by , Crime reporter

THE father of a man killed by one punch in Blackburn town centre has condemned having ‘punch machines’ in pubs.

Dave Rogers, who set up the charity Every Action Has Consequences after the death of his son Adam, 24, said the games could encourage those using them to become violent.

Adam, who was the Padiham Ladies' football coach, had been trying to diffuse an argument when he was hit by William Kingsley Upton causing him fatal brain injuries.

Mr Rogers said having punch machines, which encourage participants to hit a punchbag as hard as they can, in pubs and takeaways might make revellers become violent once they leave the premises.

He said: “On one level, you can see them as a bit of harmless fun, a bit like something at the fairground.

“But if you put them in the context of a pub where people are drinking there are different overtones.

“You could get some cocky young lads showing how hard they can punch.

“We do not want anything that is going to encourage them to think it is okay to punch somebody. It is totally inappropriate.” Geoff Sutcliffe, landlord of the Rising Sun, in Blackburn, and the chairman of the Blackburn Federation of Licensed Victuallers Association, said he did not believe there was an issue in East Lancashire, but agreed they would not be appropriate in most pub settings.

The 68-year-old said: “I do not think it is the best idea to have these machines in a pub.

“People might get a bit excited about it and might start arguing.

“I do not think they would mix very well with alcohol.”

Mr Sutcliffe added that if punch machines were to be used, they would be better suited in the corner of a large bar or nightclub rather than a local pub.

He said: “But personally, I do not think they are a good thing for a pub.

“They are more of a fun thing for an amusement arcade.”

Comments (18)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:11pm Fri 2 May 14

rhodie110961 says...

The man is absolutely right, you always get the muppet that has had too much to drink and doesn`t like to get beaten or the spectator that thinks its clever to be offensive.....recipe for disaster. Ban them in pubs and takeaways.
The man is absolutely right, you always get the muppet that has had too much to drink and doesn`t like to get beaten or the spectator that thinks its clever to be offensive.....recipe for disaster. Ban them in pubs and takeaways. rhodie110961
  • Score: 42

6:14pm Fri 2 May 14

wilddog says...

I feel sorry for your loss but no one makes people go on these things? People tragically die whilst using the roller coaster but does it mean it should be banned?
I feel sorry for your loss but no one makes people go on these things? People tragically die whilst using the roller coaster but does it mean it should be banned? wilddog
  • Score: -64

6:26pm Fri 2 May 14

shytalk says...

I can never get the punch machines to step outside
I can never get the punch machines to step outside shytalk
  • Score: -32

7:21pm Fri 2 May 14

wilddog says...

Seems i get negatives for pointing out that people have the freedom to choose! If i offend then i am sorry but its called free speech and people died so i could have that liberty also!
Seems i get negatives for pointing out that people have the freedom to choose! If i offend then i am sorry but its called free speech and people died so i could have that liberty also! wilddog
  • Score: -24

7:29pm Fri 2 May 14

happycyclist says...

Completely agree with Dave Rogers.
Completely agree with Dave Rogers. happycyclist
  • Score: 14

8:08pm Fri 2 May 14

phil kernot says...

I think thay should have these in the House of Commons bar and Houses of Parliament last man standing can claim his expenses ,, no seriously thay should be banned as some steroid head ,, will think he's King Kong ,,
I think thay should have these in the House of Commons bar and Houses of Parliament last man standing can claim his expenses ,, no seriously thay should be banned as some steroid head ,, will think he's King Kong ,, phil kernot
  • Score: 11

8:38pm Fri 2 May 14

Jerzei Balowski says...

wilddog wrote:
Seems i get negatives for pointing out that people have the freedom to choose! If i offend then i am sorry but its called free speech and people died so i could have that liberty also!
I doubt you got negatives because people disagree with you, more likely because your argument, and comparison with rollercoasters, is so utterly flawed and devoid of logic that it is difficult to know where to begin.

You do realise that, whereas people generally CHOOSE to go on rollercoasters, they do not choose to be punched in the head, don't you ?
[quote][p][bold]wilddog[/bold] wrote: Seems i get negatives for pointing out that people have the freedom to choose! If i offend then i am sorry but its called free speech and people died so i could have that liberty also![/p][/quote]I doubt you got negatives because people disagree with you, more likely because your argument, and comparison with rollercoasters, is so utterly flawed and devoid of logic that it is difficult to know where to begin. You do realise that, whereas people generally CHOOSE to go on rollercoasters, they do not choose to be punched in the head, don't you ? Jerzei Balowski
  • Score: 23

10:02pm Fri 2 May 14

Graham Hartley says...

Pool cue attack machines are the very next thing. The gamer strikes a life-size dummy in any manner fancied, upon which satisfying pleas to stop, moans, involuntary urination and death-rattles ensue. What fun!
Pool cue attack machines are the very next thing. The gamer strikes a life-size dummy in any manner fancied, upon which satisfying pleas to stop, moans, involuntary urination and death-rattles ensue. What fun! Graham Hartley
  • Score: 2

10:10pm Fri 2 May 14

tajmahalovertheoldmarket says...

Gannett, after reading the rubbish (sorry, "trash" as you would call it) you put out on this website for so long, I believe you're flogging a dead horse. Also, I've not bought an LET for YEARS because that's rubbish as well. Time to re-evaluate your strategy, this "province" is unlikely to provide anything to excite your shareholders.

God bless America.

Tick tock, tick tock...
Gannett, after reading the rubbish (sorry, "trash" as you would call it) you put out on this website for so long, I believe you're flogging a dead horse. Also, I've not bought an LET for YEARS because that's rubbish as well. Time to re-evaluate your strategy, this "province" is unlikely to provide anything to excite your shareholders. God bless America. Tick tock, tick tock... tajmahalovertheoldmarket
  • Score: -11

10:26pm Fri 2 May 14

signit2 says...

I agree with Dave Rogers. I've made a documentary to reduce punching incidents - One Punch Homicide - and think we're cheating today's young by allowing them to watch so much violence without teaching them one punch can kill before they start legally drinking. In 1998 the American Psychiatric Association said by the time Americans reach the age of 18 they had seen, on average, 200,000 acts of violence on screen. Stats for U.K. youth are similar. If anyone wants to claim research has debunked violence on screen leading to violence in real life, please site which studies you're referring to.
I agree with Dave Rogers. I've made a documentary to reduce punching incidents - One Punch Homicide - and think we're cheating today's young by allowing them to watch so much violence without teaching them one punch can kill before they start legally drinking. In 1998 the American Psychiatric Association said by the time Americans reach the age of 18 they had seen, on average, 200,000 acts of violence on screen. Stats for U.K. youth are similar. If anyone wants to claim research has debunked violence on screen leading to violence in real life, please site which studies you're referring to. signit2
  • Score: 11

10:32pm Fri 2 May 14

Rich Riley says...

Jerzei Balowski wrote:
wilddog wrote:
Seems i get negatives for pointing out that people have the freedom to choose! If i offend then i am sorry but its called free speech and people died so i could have that liberty also!
I doubt you got negatives because people disagree with you, more likely because your argument, and comparison with rollercoasters, is so utterly flawed and devoid of logic that it is difficult to know where to begin.

You do realise that, whereas people generally CHOOSE to go on rollercoasters, they do not choose to be punched in the head, don't you ?
He won't get it Jerzei, he sounds a bit thick.
[quote][p][bold]Jerzei Balowski[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wilddog[/bold] wrote: Seems i get negatives for pointing out that people have the freedom to choose! If i offend then i am sorry but its called free speech and people died so i could have that liberty also![/p][/quote]I doubt you got negatives because people disagree with you, more likely because your argument, and comparison with rollercoasters, is so utterly flawed and devoid of logic that it is difficult to know where to begin. You do realise that, whereas people generally CHOOSE to go on rollercoasters, they do not choose to be punched in the head, don't you ?[/p][/quote]He won't get it Jerzei, he sounds a bit thick. Rich Riley
  • Score: 10

11:31pm Fri 2 May 14

Steven11 says...

tajmahalovertheoldma
rket
wrote:
Gannett, after reading the rubbish (sorry, "trash" as you would call it) you put out on this website for so long, I believe you're flogging a dead horse. Also, I've not bought an LET for YEARS because that's rubbish as well. Time to re-evaluate your strategy, this "province" is unlikely to provide anything to excite your shareholders.

God bless America.

Tick tock, tick tock...
Wow , bet you are great fun at a dinner party , would you like to come to ours on bbbbbrum day evening . Can't Waite to see you !
[quote][p][bold]tajmahalovertheoldma rket[/bold] wrote: Gannett, after reading the rubbish (sorry, "trash" as you would call it) you put out on this website for so long, I believe you're flogging a dead horse. Also, I've not bought an LET for YEARS because that's rubbish as well. Time to re-evaluate your strategy, this "province" is unlikely to provide anything to excite your shareholders. God bless America. Tick tock, tick tock...[/p][/quote]Wow , bet you are great fun at a dinner party , would you like to come to ours on bbbbbrum day evening . Can't Waite to see you ! Steven11
  • Score: 3

1:52am Sat 3 May 14

noddy57 says...

the father of the young man who was punched and died is right the people who designed this machine knew they were making an attraction to entice the gullible and the posers who think they are hard..
the father of the young man who was punched and died is right the people who designed this machine knew they were making an attraction to entice the gullible and the posers who think they are hard.. noddy57
  • Score: 11

6:27am Sat 3 May 14

BlackburnEyes says...

wilddog wrote:
Seems i get negatives for pointing out that people have the freedom to choose! If i offend then i am sorry but its called free speech and people died so i could have that liberty also!
You do have the liberty... but it does not mean that your opinion or point of view is correct or helpful to resolve the issue...having a punch machine in a pub is akin to having a cigarette machine in a cancer ward of a hospital...yes exactly it does not sound right now does it!
[quote][p][bold]wilddog[/bold] wrote: Seems i get negatives for pointing out that people have the freedom to choose! If i offend then i am sorry but its called free speech and people died so i could have that liberty also![/p][/quote]You do have the liberty... but it does not mean that your opinion or point of view is correct or helpful to resolve the issue...having a punch machine in a pub is akin to having a cigarette machine in a cancer ward of a hospital...yes exactly it does not sound right now does it! BlackburnEyes
  • Score: 9

11:54am Sat 3 May 14

burner says...

rhodie110961 wrote:
The man is absolutely right, you always get the muppet that has had too much to drink and doesn`t like to get beaten or the spectator that thinks its clever to be offensive.....recipe for disaster. Ban them in pubs and takeaways.
Agree 100 % . . . but it's "kerching" from the idiotic, drunken gullible, innit ?
[quote][p][bold]rhodie110961[/bold] wrote: The man is absolutely right, you always get the muppet that has had too much to drink and doesn`t like to get beaten or the spectator that thinks its clever to be offensive.....recipe for disaster. Ban them in pubs and takeaways.[/p][/quote]Agree 100 % . . . but it's "kerching" from the idiotic, drunken gullible, innit ? burner
  • Score: 3

3:51pm Sat 3 May 14

ROBERTSLUMDWELLER123 says...

I just watched spider man but im not gonna try what he does
I just watched spider man but im not gonna try what he does ROBERTSLUMDWELLER123
  • Score: -8

5:26pm Sat 3 May 14

Stone Island: says...

When I was in the pub trade, I had several machines of my own, that earned me good money, BUT, I wouldn't entertain one of these punch machines. They just pump people up, and that's the last thing you need when alcohol is involved.
When I was in the pub trade, I had several machines of my own, that earned me good money, BUT, I wouldn't entertain one of these punch machines. They just pump people up, and that's the last thing you need when alcohol is involved. Stone Island:
  • Score: 10

9:33pm Sat 3 May 14

khakkij says...

This father is absolutely correct., this young lad was killed by being punched., and throughout the case., both the parents were so dignified., and by all that knew the victim, he was an absolute brilliant lad., so show some respect and keep the ignorant comments about roller coasters to yourself. The odd times i have been in blackburn town centre pubs lately, its an absolute disgrace., idiots cant help themselves but want to fight, both women & men., it is being brushed under the carpet and needs sorting before another life is lost
This father is absolutely correct., this young lad was killed by being punched., and throughout the case., both the parents were so dignified., and by all that knew the victim, he was an absolute brilliant lad., so show some respect and keep the ignorant comments about roller coasters to yourself. The odd times i have been in blackburn town centre pubs lately, its an absolute disgrace., idiots cant help themselves but want to fight, both women & men., it is being brushed under the carpet and needs sorting before another life is lost khakkij
  • Score: 6

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree