THE Football Association has launched an investigation into a brawl which broke out among fans at a non-league football match.

James Morley, 54, whose son Bernard is the manager of Ramsbottom United, suffered facial and head injuries after he was attacked with a seat and an umbrella at the Radcliffe Borough match against Lancaster.

Two other men were left needing hospital treatment following the fight at the side of the pitch on Saturday.

The match had to be stopped for 10 minutes as fans were separated.

Police and paramedics were called but no arrests have been made.

Mr Morley, his wife, son and other Ramsbottom officials and supporters attended the match at Stainton Park after the Rams’ match was cancelled due to a waterlogged pitch.

Bernard, 29, said the team had a good relationship with Radcliffe and regularly supported them when their own team was not playing.

He said: “I was standing to the left of the entrance when it happened and I looked over and saw my dad covered in blood.

“Four or five people had attacked him. He was completely outnumbered.

“He’s been left with a broken nose, a fractured cheekbone, two black eyes and four wounds on his head.

“My mum, who’s 53, was also pushed to the floor. Both of them are really shaken up.

“It’s an absolute disgrace. I’m disgusted that someone would use weapons like this. It’s not acceptable at a match, or anywhere.”

Pleas were made over the PA system for the men to stop fighting.

In a video, an announcer can be heard saying: “Please stop it. You’re making a right spectacle of yourselves.

“It’s becoming embarrassing –grown men. The game is going to be abandoned if you carry on this behaviour."

Lancaster went on to win the Evo-Stik Premier League First Division North game 4-1 after the match resumed.

A spokesman for the FA said the association is investigating the incident.

Harry Williams, Ramsbottom chairman, said: “Obviously I’m not happy about what’s happened, but everything’s up in the air at the moment.”

Lancaster City declined to comment, and Radcliffe were unavailable.

A Greater Manchester Police spokesman said: “Officers were called to Stainton Park at about 4.40pm following an incident involving several people at the side of the pitch.

“No arrests were made. Inquiries are ongoing.”