Report this comment
  • "Lancashire county council should be investigated and the people who are responsible for this farce should be be held accountable regardless of how high up the ladder they are. Lets not please have a repeat of the police commissioner where everything was brushed under the carpet by the police and CPS.

    I live in hope!!"
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

Lancashire homes raided in One Connect probe

Phil Halsall has left his post

Phil Halsall has left his post

First published in News

LANCASHIRE police have confirmed that detectives probing the controversial County Hall company One Connect Limited raided three addresses in the North West.

Officers executed warrants in Southport, Knowsley and Fulwood in Preston, but no arrests have been made.

The warrants are part of an investigation into the running of One Connect, a company set up jointly by Lancashire County Council and telecom giant BT to save cash running council services.

The force was called in last year by the county’s new Labour leadership over alleged financial irregularities involving the partnership’s awarding of contracts County chief executive Phil Halsall was suspended from his £190,000-a-year post before leaving the authority’s employ by ‘mutual consent’.

The ruling Labour group discovered one of the men instrumental in setting up One Connect, David McElhinney, also boss of Liverpool Direct, had been paid more than £600,000 for two years’ work when the county treasurer believed he was getting just £40,000 annually for two-and-a-half days a week.

Geoff Driver, leader of the Conservative group in power when One Connect was set up, claims the investigation is politically motivated and has issued a statement denying his Fulwood home was searched by police.

A Lancashire Constabulary spokesman said yesterday: “We can confirm that on Wednesday, February 12, officers from Lancashire Constabulary searched three addresses.

“The searches follow a referral from Lancashire County Council last year outlining concerns in relation to a number of financial irregularities.

“No-one has been arrested. Two men have attended a police station by pre-arranged appointment as part of an on-going investigation.

“We will also be speaking with a third man.”

A spokesman for Lancashire County Council said: “The county council is continuing to co-operate with a police investigation but it would be inappropriate to comment any further at this stage."

Comments (5)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree