Oswaldtwistle blaze pair 'saved' by smoke alarm

Lancashire Telegraph: Oswaldtwistle blaze pair 'saved' by smoke alarm Oswaldtwistle blaze pair 'saved' by smoke alarm

A FORGOTTEN chip pan sparked a fire at an Oswaldtwistle home in the early hours of this morning.

Fire crews were called to Stanley Street at 3.20am after the sleeping occupants were alerted by their smoke alarm.

Firefighters said the couple, both in their 40s, had been out for a drink last night, and the man started cooking some chips on the hob before falling asleep.

When both occupants were woken by the smoke alarm, the man tried to tackle the blaze but cut his foot on some glass and eventually escaped outside.

There was fire and smoke damage to the kitchen and the couple were both taken to hospital to be checked over.

Watch manager Tony Spencer said the smoke alarm had ‘genuinely saved their lives’.

Comments (5)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:43am Sat 18 Jan 14

Mothernature says...

Thankfully the couple are okay. Hopefully they have learned their lesson & will never cook again after having a drink.
Thankfully the couple are okay. Hopefully they have learned their lesson & will never cook again after having a drink. Mothernature

1:54pm Sat 18 Jan 14

StopDeludingYourself says...

Mothernature wrote:
Thankfully the couple are okay. Hopefully they have learned their lesson & will never cook again after having a drink.
Drink being the issue here again.
[quote][p][bold]Mothernature[/bold] wrote: Thankfully the couple are okay. Hopefully they have learned their lesson & will never cook again after having a drink.[/p][/quote]Drink being the issue here again. StopDeludingYourself

4:04pm Sat 18 Jan 14

darwenTower says...

StopDeludingYourself wrote:
Mothernature wrote:
Thankfully the couple are okay. Hopefully they have learned their lesson & will never cook again after having a drink.
Drink being the issue here again.
You can't blame drink.

I drink most nights and have never set my kitchen on fire.

It's possible to drink, and even get drunk, without being a liability.
[quote][p][bold]StopDeludingYourself[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mothernature[/bold] wrote: Thankfully the couple are okay. Hopefully they have learned their lesson & will never cook again after having a drink.[/p][/quote]Drink being the issue here again.[/p][/quote]You can't blame drink. I drink most nights and have never set my kitchen on fire. It's possible to drink, and even get drunk, without being a liability. darwenTower

5:43pm Sat 18 Jan 14

darwenTower says...

If the pillock who thumbed down the above comment wants to explain themselves i'd be grateful.

Stupid is as stupid does, the sort of person who puts a chip pan on when they are drunk will be the same sort of person who constantly makes bad decisions and expects the pieces to be picked up after them.
If the pillock who thumbed down the above comment wants to explain themselves i'd be grateful. Stupid is as stupid does, the sort of person who puts a chip pan on when they are drunk will be the same sort of person who constantly makes bad decisions and expects the pieces to be picked up after them. darwenTower

7:05pm Sat 18 Jan 14

2 for 5p ridesagain says...

I hope this man has to foot the bill for all damages caused, seeing as he must be very rich.
WELL he must be if he can afford to go out and get drunk
I hope this man has to foot the bill for all damages caused, seeing as he must be very rich. WELL he must be if he can afford to go out and get drunk 2 for 5p ridesagain

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree