Valuable heritage could be lost due to Ribble Valley pub closures

Valuable heritage could be lost due to Ribble Valley pub closures

Simon Entwistle

The Punch Bowl

Craven Heifer

First published in News Lancashire Telegraph: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter

A RIBBLE Valley history expert has expressed his concern about traditional ancient village inns closing down in the borough.

Simon Entwistle, who leads ghost tours around pubs in the Ribble Valley, said it would ‘break his heart’ if more historic pubs were to close in 2014.

The Punch Bowl Inn, Hurst Green, closed in October, following The Craven Heifer in Chaighley in 2011 and The Hodder Bridge Hotel’s closure in 2005.

The Aspinal Arms in Mitton also closed recently and could be converted into flats if planning permission is granted.

Mr Entwistle said the haunted Ribble Valley Inns were a ‘key part’ of tourism in the borough and that they needed to be preserved.

He said: “It breaks my heart to see these lovely old inns close for the last time.

“People come from as far away as Norwich, Liverpool and Nottingham to visit these inns with my tours and that would be lost forever if more of these historic inns are shut.

“As part of the tour we visit Slaidburn’s Hark to Bounty Inn, which dates back to 1743.

“You can see that the arrival of tourists to this rural village has a big impact on trade there and that’s very important to maintain.”

Jocelyn Neve, landlady of The Assheton Arms in Downham, which dates from the 19th century, said: “It’s very important to keep old pubs going in the Ribble Valley because they attract a lot of trade and people to the area.

“We are very lucky here in Downham to have such an old pub and a lovely location and it helps bring people to the village. While we are not in any danger of closing down, it’s relatively normal for pubs to close down at this time of year.”

The Punch Bowl, which dates from the 1720s, was recently sold and is famous for being visited by highwaymen Dick Turpin and Ned King in the late 1730s.

The ghost of ‘Old Ned’ is said to still roam the pub.

Turpin and King reportedly arrived at the pub in 1738 from Essex and stayed for three days before Turpin left for York, with Ned staying behind to stalk the nearby roads.

Ned, who was helped by the pub’s landlord Jonathan Brisco, met his end in 1741 when he was captured by the army and hanged from a tree outside the pub.

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:20pm Tue 7 Jan 14

ghost of sceptic says...

Long live the restless natives.
Long live the restless natives. ghost of sceptic
  • Score: 4

6:26pm Tue 7 Jan 14

Michael@ClitheroeSince58 says...

Another joyous occasion ;)
Another joyous occasion ;) Michael@ClitheroeSince58
  • Score: 0

6:43pm Tue 7 Jan 14

2 for 5p ridesagain says...

Self presivation society, or what.
Ghost pubs what a load of tosh, there just concerned about there jobs. If Mr Entwistle is so concerned why not buy the pubs yourself, between you and Joyce Neve. You claim that they bring so much trade.
QUOTE:
Jocelyn Neve, landlady of The Assheton Arms in Downham, which dates from the 19th century, said: “It’s very important to keep old pubs going in the Ribble Valley because they attract a lot of trade and people to the area.:

Why not put your money were your mouth is
Self presivation society, or what. Ghost pubs what a load of tosh, there just concerned about there jobs. If Mr Entwistle is so concerned why not buy the pubs yourself, between you and Joyce Neve. You claim that they bring so much trade. QUOTE: Jocelyn Neve, landlady of The Assheton Arms in Downham, which dates from the 19th century, said: “It’s very important to keep old pubs going in the Ribble Valley because they attract a lot of trade and people to the area.: Why not put your money were your mouth is 2 for 5p ridesagain
  • Score: -7

7:01pm Tue 7 Jan 14

Michael@ClitheroeSince58 says...

2 for 5p ridesagain wrote:
Self presivation society, or what.
Ghost pubs what a load of tosh, there just concerned about there jobs. If Mr Entwistle is so concerned why not buy the pubs yourself, between you and Joyce Neve. You claim that they bring so much trade.
QUOTE:
Jocelyn Neve, landlady of The Assheton Arms in Downham, which dates from the 19th century, said: “It’s very important to keep old pubs going in the Ribble Valley because they attract a lot of trade and people to the area.:

Why not put your money were your mouth is
I think the problem is the trade is probably very seasonal but as Simon points out it is part of our history and very much a part of the tourist trade so what is the Answer?
[quote][p][bold]2 for 5p ridesagain[/bold] wrote: Self presivation society, or what. Ghost pubs what a load of tosh, there just concerned about there jobs. If Mr Entwistle is so concerned why not buy the pubs yourself, between you and Joyce Neve. You claim that they bring so much trade. QUOTE: Jocelyn Neve, landlady of The Assheton Arms in Downham, which dates from the 19th century, said: “It’s very important to keep old pubs going in the Ribble Valley because they attract a lot of trade and people to the area.: Why not put your money were your mouth is[/p][/quote]I think the problem is the trade is probably very seasonal but as Simon points out it is part of our history and very much a part of the tourist trade so what is the Answer? Michael@ClitheroeSince58
  • Score: 3

7:30pm Tue 7 Jan 14

Interocitor says...

I don't know what the answer is, but the most successful pubs in the Ribble Valley are the ones doing good food (not microwave fodder) and well kept ales.
I don't know what the answer is, but the most successful pubs in the Ribble Valley are the ones doing good food (not microwave fodder) and well kept ales. Interocitor
  • Score: 12

7:41pm Tue 7 Jan 14

2 for 5p ridesagain says...

Michael@ClitheroeSin
ce58
wrote:
2 for 5p ridesagain wrote:
Self presivation society, or what.
Ghost pubs what a load of tosh, there just concerned about there jobs. If Mr Entwistle is so concerned why not buy the pubs yourself, between you and Joyce Neve. You claim that they bring so much trade.
QUOTE:
Jocelyn Neve, landlady of The Assheton Arms in Downham, which dates from the 19th century, said: “It’s very important to keep old pubs going in the Ribble Valley because they attract a lot of trade and people to the area.:

Why not put your money were your mouth is
I think the problem is the trade is probably very seasonal but as Simon points out it is part of our history and very much a part of the tourist trade so what is the Answer?
The answer is let the pubs be sold the building will still be there, regardless of what they end up being used for. The history won't be lost.
[quote][p][bold]Michael@ClitheroeSin ce58[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]2 for 5p ridesagain[/bold] wrote: Self presivation society, or what. Ghost pubs what a load of tosh, there just concerned about there jobs. If Mr Entwistle is so concerned why not buy the pubs yourself, between you and Joyce Neve. You claim that they bring so much trade. QUOTE: Jocelyn Neve, landlady of The Assheton Arms in Downham, which dates from the 19th century, said: “It’s very important to keep old pubs going in the Ribble Valley because they attract a lot of trade and people to the area.: Why not put your money were your mouth is[/p][/quote]I think the problem is the trade is probably very seasonal but as Simon points out it is part of our history and very much a part of the tourist trade so what is the Answer?[/p][/quote]The answer is let the pubs be sold the building will still be there, regardless of what they end up being used for. The history won't be lost. 2 for 5p ridesagain
  • Score: -3

7:57pm Tue 7 Jan 14

shytalk says...

The answer is to reduce the tax on beer, for breweries and pub companies to reduce the rent, the council to reduce the rates, and landlords to start selling beer and not food apart from pie and peas and hotpot and be able to make a living doing it.
It's what pubs used to do when they were the focal point of village life and were successful for hundreds of years.
Chicken and chips in the basket and scampi arrived and the race was on to attract the lard arses by turning them into wannabee restaurants which is where we are today.
Now they need to be able to compete with the supermarkets on beer and the internet for socializing as an alternative to facebook. and they need a helping hand from all concerned to do it or they will be lost forever, just like a lot of other traditional British culture has been lost.
The answer is to reduce the tax on beer, for breweries and pub companies to reduce the rent, the council to reduce the rates, and landlords to start selling beer and not food apart from pie and peas and hotpot and be able to make a living doing it. It's what pubs used to do when they were the focal point of village life and were successful for hundreds of years. Chicken and chips in the basket and scampi arrived and the race was on to attract the lard arses by turning them into wannabee restaurants which is where we are today. Now they need to be able to compete with the supermarkets on beer and the internet for socializing as an alternative to facebook. and they need a helping hand from all concerned to do it or they will be lost forever, just like a lot of other traditional British culture has been lost. shytalk
  • Score: 8

8:05pm Tue 7 Jan 14

Michael@ClitheroeSince58 says...

2 for 5p ridesagain wrote:
Michael@ClitheroeSin

ce58
wrote:
2 for 5p ridesagain wrote:
Self presivation society, or what.
Ghost pubs what a load of tosh, there just concerned about there jobs. If Mr Entwistle is so concerned why not buy the pubs yourself, between you and Joyce Neve. You claim that they bring so much trade.
QUOTE:
Jocelyn Neve, landlady of The Assheton Arms in Downham, which dates from the 19th century, said: “It’s very important to keep old pubs going in the Ribble Valley because they attract a lot of trade and people to the area.:

Why not put your money were your mouth is
I think the problem is the trade is probably very seasonal but as Simon points out it is part of our history and very much a part of the tourist trade so what is the Answer?
The answer is let the pubs be sold the building will still be there, regardless of what they end up being used for. The history won't be lost.
But you are going to loose the seasonal tourist trade as the pubs have gone, the repercussions go much further than just the loss of a pub, many jobs rely on tourism and the whole community looses out, maybe it's time for the council to look at what can be done.
[quote][p][bold]2 for 5p ridesagain[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Michael@ClitheroeSin ce58[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]2 for 5p ridesagain[/bold] wrote: Self presivation society, or what. Ghost pubs what a load of tosh, there just concerned about there jobs. If Mr Entwistle is so concerned why not buy the pubs yourself, between you and Joyce Neve. You claim that they bring so much trade. QUOTE: Jocelyn Neve, landlady of The Assheton Arms in Downham, which dates from the 19th century, said: “It’s very important to keep old pubs going in the Ribble Valley because they attract a lot of trade and people to the area.: Why not put your money were your mouth is[/p][/quote]I think the problem is the trade is probably very seasonal but as Simon points out it is part of our history and very much a part of the tourist trade so what is the Answer?[/p][/quote]The answer is let the pubs be sold the building will still be there, regardless of what they end up being used for. The history won't be lost.[/p][/quote]But you are going to loose the seasonal tourist trade as the pubs have gone, the repercussions go much further than just the loss of a pub, many jobs rely on tourism and the whole community looses out, maybe it's time for the council to look at what can be done. Michael@ClitheroeSince58
  • Score: 0

9:50pm Tue 7 Jan 14

The Curator says...

2 for 5p ridesagain wrote:
Self presivation society, or what.
Ghost pubs what a load of tosh, there just concerned about there jobs. If Mr Entwistle is so concerned why not buy the pubs yourself, between you and Joyce Neve. You claim that they bring so much trade.
QUOTE:
Jocelyn Neve, landlady of The Assheton Arms in Downham, which dates from the 19th century, said: “It’s very important to keep old pubs going in the Ribble Valley because they attract a lot of trade and people to the area.:

Why not put your money were your mouth is
Why don't you try and post something positive for a change instead of all this drivel
[quote][p][bold]2 for 5p ridesagain[/bold] wrote: Self presivation society, or what. Ghost pubs what a load of tosh, there just concerned about there jobs. If Mr Entwistle is so concerned why not buy the pubs yourself, between you and Joyce Neve. You claim that they bring so much trade. QUOTE: Jocelyn Neve, landlady of The Assheton Arms in Downham, which dates from the 19th century, said: “It’s very important to keep old pubs going in the Ribble Valley because they attract a lot of trade and people to the area.: Why not put your money were your mouth is[/p][/quote]Why don't you try and post something positive for a change instead of all this drivel The Curator
  • Score: 4

9:55pm Tue 7 Jan 14

The Curator says...

Long live the pub .
RIP Stuart Adamson
Fields of Fire
Long live the pub . RIP Stuart Adamson Fields of Fire The Curator
  • Score: -4

7:27pm Thu 9 Jan 14

ghost of sceptic says...

2 for 5p ridesagain wrote:
Self presivation society, or what.
Ghost pubs what a load of tosh, there just concerned about there jobs. If Mr Entwistle is so concerned why not buy the pubs yourself, between you and Joyce Neve. You claim that they bring so much trade.
QUOTE:
Jocelyn Neve, landlady of The Assheton Arms in Downham, which dates from the 19th century, said: “It’s very important to keep old pubs going in the Ribble Valley because they attract a lot of trade and people to the area.:

Why not put your money were your mouth is
Probably because Mr entwistle does not have the available funds to buy these public houses. And why would Simon not be concerned about his current employment, especially after the disgusting treatment from his previous employer. Long live the restless natives.
[quote][p][bold]2 for 5p ridesagain[/bold] wrote: Self presivation society, or what. Ghost pubs what a load of tosh, there just concerned about there jobs. If Mr Entwistle is so concerned why not buy the pubs yourself, between you and Joyce Neve. You claim that they bring so much trade. QUOTE: Jocelyn Neve, landlady of The Assheton Arms in Downham, which dates from the 19th century, said: “It’s very important to keep old pubs going in the Ribble Valley because they attract a lot of trade and people to the area.: Why not put your money were your mouth is[/p][/quote]Probably because Mr entwistle does not have the available funds to buy these public houses. And why would Simon not be concerned about his current employment, especially after the disgusting treatment from his previous employer. Long live the restless natives. ghost of sceptic
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree