When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Colne crook's sentence cut by two years
5:00pm Friday 16th August 2013 in News
A PROLIFIC Colne crook facing a possible three years behind bars for his third house burglary was locked up for eight months instead.
Jason McCourt, 38, would have been jailed for the mandatory three years if Judge Beverley Lunt had not found it unjust.
The defendant, who had previously been given an ASBO to try to stop him going out in the early hours committing car crime, owned up to targeting a property he had just been evicted from.
He has dozens of convictions and has been in and out of jail in a long career of dishonesty.
Burnley Crown Court was told how McCourt committed the two previous burglaries some years ago.
They were dealt with by magistrates, who sentence less serious crimes, rather than at the crown court.
His solicitor told the hearing custody was warranted but the three years would be unjust.
McCourt admitted the latest raid, at a house in Bankfield Street, Colne, between June 27 and July 4.
Judge Lunt, who had adjourned the case to find out more about the offences, had said: “There are burglaries and burglaries.” David Macro, prosecuting, said at 3pm, a police officer found a kitchen window at the house had been smashed and got the landlord’s permission to force entry.
Copper piping was stacked up and blood was left on a wall.
The brand new boiler had been damaged by the removal of pipes.
A shower, shower screen and other items had been taken but McCourt did not accept any part in that.
The defendant was arrested on July 23 after the blood was found to be his.
He told police he had lived at the house a few weeks before being evicted.
Richard Taylor, for McCourt, said each previous burglary was dealt with at the lower court.
He told the hearing: “Neither of them were deemed serious enough to warrant a crown court hearing.”